Dr. Balasubramaniam- Father of Mahavishnu passed away

Remembering musicians of the recent past
CRama

Dr. Balasubramaniam- Father of Mahavishnu passed away

Post by CRama »

Deeply saddened to inform that Dr. Balasubramaniam, a practicing doctor in West Mambalam, a connoisseur of music, and father of our beloved forumite Mahavishnu (Dr.Ramesh) passed away yesterday morning. I got the information from Sivaramakrishnan. It was a sudden and peaceful death. He was hale and hearty, had his morning coffee, did morning chores and when he asked for a second Horlicks, before it was brought to him, he breathed his last. His wife was with him. His son and daughter are abroad and because of the special circumstances, none of them could come. Some of their relatives did the final rites and the body was cremated yesterday. Eventhough I very much wished to attend, I could not go.

I had met Dr many times in Nageswaran Sir’s house concerts. He is regular in attending concerts in many sabhas and last season, daily we used to meet in Academy and discuss about the concerts that we heard. Highly knowledgeable in music. His wife is the daughter of the Mridangam Vidwan Kalpathy Ramanathan. He was a family doctor to many musicians like Lalgudi, Semmangudi and Santhanam. Once in our rasikas meet in Nageswaran Sir’s house, he shared many of his experiences with these maestros of music. He must be 81 or 82 years of age.

Sincere condolences to Mahavishnu and other family members.

OM SHANTHI

Pratyaksham Bala

Re: Dr. Balasubramaniam- Father of Mahavishnu passed away

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Very sad news. Condolences.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Dr JB as he was known was leading from the front cheering atleast 4 even 5 generations wide range of musicians ranging from as early as Maharajapuram Vishwatha Iyer. I took this photo when we met in Brahma Gana Sabha Last Dec 2019, His presence and blessing will be missed by all musicians and not just rasikas particulary with his white attire. I particularly have some alteast dozen plus memories where we usually watch eye to eye without any words whenever one of our favourite musician Abhishek Sings a brigha. He egged Maharajapuram ramachandran to sing Arabi in our rasikas concert at nageswaran house. Many years back he talked wonderfully about his association with Maharajapuram and Lalgudi families when he was part of meet in Nageswaran sir home. I am told that he was a sincere medical physician , particularly taking part and serving those in West Mambalam with me hearing that he was also a practioner of very well known and top class Public Health Center in West Mambalam . Condolences to his family particularly Mrs JB mami , Ramesh(mahavishnu) , Ramesh siblings and all his grandchildren. Being a medical doctor is not compatible with listening to CM as time clashes always occur, But Dr JB Sir did a great service in his life to both music and medicine.

Om Shanthi - Dr JB Sir.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

@Mahavishnu
My sincere condolences. I have heard from Sri. Nageswaran how you're a chip of the old block and your dear father was a great connoisseur.

What can one say in these circumstances? May God give you all the strength to tide over this big loss.

HariH Om Tat Sat

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I am so sorry to hear this news. Condolences to Ramesh and family!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

As mentioned on another sad thread, I came to know Mahavishnu's parents through Nageshwaran. It was always a pleasure to meet them at concerts.

Had the honour to attend his Sathebhishekam last year, along with my wife and SureshVV. Will always remember his and mami's laughter and joy throughout the proceedings.

Sympathy and condolences to his family and to his many friends.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@mahavishnu, My heartfelt condolences. Your father was a regular presence at most musical venues I've been to. I have even seen him on medical duty even in some satsangh programmes he used to attend. Unfortunately I couldn't get to know him well enough like the other rasikas here. Your father is known to some of my family members and friends too. Everyone has great respect for him for his service as a doctor, though not all might know about his passion for music. He'll be missed at Raga Sudha and Kapaleeswar temple. IIRC I last ran into him at Vignesh Ishwar's chamber concert at Musiri House.

I can't imagine how heartbreaking it is not to be able to come over given the coronavirus crisis, but life is cruel sometimes. Please take care.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sincere condolences to the family members. Unfortunate time to have to face this deep loss.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you for the kind words and warm wishes. And CRama, thank you for starting this thread.

It has been a surreal experience to lose my father in the middle of this pandemic and global lockdown. That said, he went peacefully and suffered no pain, which is exactly how he wanted to go. I am proceeding with the 10 day kAriyams here in the US, so his AtmA can attain the shanti that it deserves.

Dr. JB was a towering figure in the Chennai medical world. His love and affinity for music attracted several leading musicians to him. His list of patients included Viswanatha Iyer, Semmangudi, MDR, Lalgudi, Santhanam, and several others. He enjoyed a great friendship with UKS, Ramabadran-sir, V Subramanyam, and other towering personalities.

I would go on to say that he was well known to most carnatic musicians who lived in the last 50 years. Several contemporary musicians looked up to him. He was also connected to music through marriage, his father-in-law being mridangam vidwan, Kalpathi Ramanathan. He never took sides; appreciating SSI's Khpriya, GNB's Kalyani & MMI's Kambhoji with equal enthusiasm.

Going to a concert with him was a great experience. Everyone on the stage would pause what they were doing to wish him, before continuing with the music. He was especially encouraging of young talent and had a great taste for fine things in life. Yet he was a simple man, always clad in his spotless white attire with a forehead adorned with fresh vibhuti.

Losing him has been very difficult for me and our extended family. He was a great father, husband, brother, son, and doctor, in addition to being a connoisseur of music. Most importantly, he was a very good human being with the greatest standard of professional and personal ethics. He was a devoutly religious man, who never missed his sandhyavandanam, not even on the day of his passing.

I am sure he is listening to some great music right now with the Gods, reuniting with his ancestors and friends.

Once again, thank you for all the love and support. There has been a very similar outpouring of support elsewhere from the medical community. I am discovering so much about this great soul even after his passing. Om Shanti.

arasi

Post by arasi »

As I saw them together, saw them together--
Like Parvathi and ParameSwara, they seemed to me
How their sight pleased me--always as a listening couple
How much you must miss him Ramesh, you and family

And your mother's smile! We haven't conversed much
But their presence in concerts was always a pleasure
For us to behold and be in their company for good music
Even sighting them in a concert clip, such a pleasure--

Your mother! I might have seen her as a little child
When I knew your grandfather, the mridangam wizard
And your aunt, his sister, at school my music teacher
Your mother, of such musical heritage, marrying
A healer and music lover! Having children like you--
Bright, brilliant, but mind, music loving, all the same--

A reluctant goodbye to your father, my virtual hug to your mother
And all my sympathy--my thoughts are with you, Ramesh and family...

May the healer-music lover's soul rest in peace and be surrounded by music...

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Very sad news. Condolences.
Thanjavooran
16 04 2020

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

@Mahavishnu - Heartfelt Condolences to you and your family members. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for your mother to not have you and your siblings in person to find solace and comfort in these trying times and my heart goes out her and to all of you. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Om Shanti.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

arasi wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 06:44 As I saw them together, saw them together--
Like Parvathi and ParameSwara, they seemed to me
How their sight pleased me--always as a listening couple
6 February 2019. Watching Gayathri Giresh at Ragasudha Hall

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
What a lovely picture of them! An ideal rasikA couple. A most recent pictureof them too, at Gayathri Girish's concert. The tamizh word 'layippu'-absorption comes to mind...Thank you.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Rama Rama. Condolences.. may almighty give strength to near and dear. Noble athma indeed.

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Very sad. I have taken my elders in the family in the early 1980s for consultations in his Jubli road clinic in West Mambalam. He was always calm and composed. I know that patients get some relief at the very sight of him even before the consultation. He was sporting a big moustache in those days with lot of smearing of vibhooti on his forehead. I had a lot of respect for him knowing that he was the family doctor for Sri Lalgudi.
Pranams to the great human being that Dr JB was. May his soul rest in peace.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Dear Ramesh,
I am so sorry for your loss and for the sorrow of being unable to go and be together with your mother and siblings at this time. I pray for strength and comfort for you and also your mother.
Last edited by Ranganayaki on 17 Apr 2020, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear Ramesh,
I am truly saddened to hear of your recent loss and would like to express my sincere condolences to you and your family on the passing of your father and it is indeed tragic that this Pandemic has prevented you from coming to Chennai to be with your family. With continued prayers for strength to face these challenging days.
May his Atman attain eternal repose.

ajit

Post by ajit »

Deepest condolences to Mahavishnu and family.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Very sad to hear the news. Deep and heartfelt condolences to Ramesh(mahavishnu) and family.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you all for the support and wishes.
I found this letter that Sri Lalgudi wrote to my father in the late '80s. Thought I would share this here.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Ramesh, Thanks for sharing the letter of Lalgudi Sir addressed to your father. It reveals the extent of warmth and affection he had for your family. It also shows lalgudi flair for simple things and his minute observations in all the places he visit.

cienu

Post by cienu »

mahavishnu wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 11:06 Thank you all for the support and wishes.
I found this letter that Sri Lalgudi wrote to my father in the late '80s. Thought I would share this here.
What a treasure Ramesh. Thank you so much for sharing this gem

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

Dear Mahavishnu,

very sorry to hear this sad news. My apologies since I only found out now. Also, it must be difficult for you to have not been able to go to India.

I remember some very pleasant conversations with your father (Rajamani doctor to us), including about my work, music, his time in UK etc.

He came to the first SKB memorial concert in 2014, which we all very much appreciated. My father, gobilalitha, had the most respect for your father and only Rajamani doctors opinion mattered in the end about any health issue that anyone in the family had.

May his soul rest in peace and I hope your mother is doing well.

Sincerely
Mohan-Kamalamba

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you for posting this, Rajesh.