Ponbhairavi Memorial Concert

Concerts and other events related to CM.
nadhasudha

Ponbhairavi Memorial Concert

Post by nadhasudha »

It has been exactly three years since Appa passed away. I had always wanted to get a memorial concert organized in his honor. Carnatic Music was very dear to his heart. The pandemic has thrown a wrench into many of our plans. However, this year I decided to go ahead with starting one. Like all things auspicious we are starting this with a Nadhaswaram concert. I need all of your wishes and blessings for this to grow and benefit the rasikas and also the artists.

My humble request to Chennai rasikas to attend this concert in person and support the artists. Concert is free. There will be a short tribute to Ponbhairavi before the concert begins. Concert is on Friday, Oct 22 at 6:15 PM, at Arkay Convention Centre, Mylapore, Chennai.

Friday, 22ndt Oct 2021 6.15pm
Madhuradhwani
Puducherry Bhairavi Rajagopala Iyer Memorial Concert
Mylai M Karthikeyan - Nagaswaram
Koleri G Vinoth Kumar - Nagaswaram
Adyar D Senthilkumar - Tavil
Thiruneermalai - B Mani
R Thandavamoorthi - Talam

https://youtu.be/NUBNp96erQg

rajeshnat

Re: Ponbhairavi Memorial Concert

Post by rajeshnat »

Best wishes and really touching for you to think of your appa and organize concert. I hope even pondicherry bhairavi sabha is still taking steps to organize concerts.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Just to refresh your memories , there is a tribute in below link (post #25) about rajagopalan sir who wrote with the id Ponbhairavi. The tribute is by Nadhasudha (daughter of PonBhairavi)
viewtopic.php?p=343610#p343610

All of Rajagopalan Sir (PonBhairavi) is in below link, brilliant
He has posted 1075 posts and he was indeed a definite Aayirathil Oruvan. Check his posts.
search.php?author_id=2171&sr=posts

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

nadhasudha wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 04:51However, this year I decided to go ahead with starting one. Like all things auspicious we are starting this with a Nadhaswaram concert. I need all of your wishes and blessings for this to grow and benefit the rasikas and also the artists.
You have to start somewhere! Many of us are not ready for public events yet, and may not make it in person this year. Thoughts and blessings are certainly with you. Youtube has been such a boon in covid times and continues to be. But still, the personal contact is lacking: I hope to meet you in 2022!

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

rajeshnat wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 10:42 Best wishes and really touching for you to think of your appa and organize concert. I hope even pondicherry bhairavi sabha is still taking steps to organize concerts.
Thanks rajeshnat! It is the least I can do. I am not aware of the current activities of Puducherry Bhairavi sabha.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Nick H wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 14:25
nadhasudha wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 04:51However, this year I decided to go ahead with starting one. Like all things auspicious we are starting this with a Nadhaswaram concert. I need all of your wishes and blessings for this to grow and benefit the rasikas and also the artists.
You have to start somewhere! Many of us are not ready for public events yet, and may not make it in person this year. Thoughts and blessings are certainly with you. Youtube has been such a boon in covid times and continues to be. But still, the personal contact is lacking: I hope to meet you in 2022!
Thanks Nick. I understand. It is going to be streamed live on Madhuradhwani's You tube channel and you can watch it online. For those rasikas who are comfortable going in person, the venue information is provided.

I recently watched a concert of Prince Rama Varma at Arkay Convention Center where I saw a handful of rasikas. It was much better in person attendance that I have seen in the past couple of years. I think the artists are missing the audience interactions which are part of the live concert. All of us are adjusting to this new paradigm - artists, rasikas and music organizers. I think the future is going to be live concerts being streamed simultaneously on You Tube Channels.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Wonderful tribute by a daughter to her late father. Though I can't attend the concert because of my location, I will certainly enjoy the You tube relays and thus pay my respects to your beloved father.

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

Wonderful tribute @Nadhasudha. I hope the concert went well. I will definitely watch the youtube link.

Incidentally, my fathers memorial concert in December 2021 also features the very same artiste.

Best Wishes
Kamalamba

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 08:12 Wonderful tribute by a daughter to her late father. Though I can't attend the concert because of my location, I will certainly enjoy the You tube relays and thus pay my respects to your beloved father.
Thank you very much Sir.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

kamalamba wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 21:01 Wonderful tribute @Nadhasudha. I hope the concert went well. I will definitely watch the youtube link.

Incidentally, my fathers memorial concert in December 2021 also features the very same artiste.

Best Wishes
Kamalamba
Thanks Kamalamba. Your memorial concerts for your father inspired me to do something along those lines to honor the memory of my father. Many thanks to you!

Somtime when all this COVID confusion settles, I hope to make a trip in December and catch concerts live including the memorial concert in honor of your father.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nadasudha,
I have been absent at Rasikas forum for a long while, and haven't been following any happenings at all.
Your father was a special person one cannot forget easily. He wrote so well, may it be poetry or prose. His humor in writing engaged us no end. I still miss him. You are a good pin tOnRal too.

Mohan,
Hope all goes well with you and all the family--especially your mother.
God willing, I can join you at the end of this year in the musical fare you every year care to arrange in your father's memory. Gobilalitha was an adorable person and a keen rasikA (just as your mother is too).

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

arasi wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 06:26 Nadasudha,
I have been absent at Rasikas forum for a long while, and haven't been following any happenings at all.
Your father was a special person one cannot forget easily. He wrote so well, may it be poetry or prose. His humor in writing engaged us no end. I still miss him. You are a good pin tOnRal too.

Mohan,
Hope all goes well with you and all the family--especially your mother.
God willing, I can join you at the end of this year in the musical fare you every year care to arrange in your father's memory. Gobilalitha was an adorable person and a keen rasikA (just as your mother is too).
Thank you Arasi ji! Every so often I will go back and read his writings both on this forum and elsewhere. This forum has a treasure trove of information by so many contributors including you whom we all can learn a lot from.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Pleased to see you, Arasi back in the Forum. Happy New Year and SankarAnthi Well Wishes to you, Arasi.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Namaste Rasikas,

It is time for the second annual memorial concert in memory of my father.

Please mark your calendars and attend in person if possible. Rasikas outside Chennai can catch the streamed concert online live.

The concert is free. My request to Chennai rasikas to attend in person if possible and support the artists.

Date: Saturday, Oct 22 nd
Venue: Ragasudha hall, Mylapore, Chennai
Time: 6 pm IST

Artists for the second memorial concert

Vocal: Smt. Kruthi Bhat
Violin: Shri. B Ananthakrishnan
Mridangam: Shri. N C Bharadwaj
Kanjira: Shri. Sunil Kumar

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nadasudha,
Many of us will be there in our thoughts with you as you and your family honor your father. Ponbhairavi stays in our hearts as a long time Rasikas.org contributor. How this professor of French and writer, poet, translator added richness to the posts with his scholarship, poems and humorous writing!
Hope all of you who attend enjoy the concert.

Nick and others who might attend, please post...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes, I expect to be there :)

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

arasi wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 20:18 Nadasudha,
Many of us will be there in our thoughts with you as you and your family honor your father. Ponbhairavi stays in our hearts as a long time Rasikas.org contributor. How this professor of French and writer, poet, translator added richness to the posts with his scholarship, poems and humorous writing!
Hope all of you who attend enjoy the concert.

Nick and others who might attend, please post...
Arasi ji,

Thank you so much. I will post link here on forum so rasikas outside Chennai can listen to concert live.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Nick H wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 22:40 Yes, I expect to be there :)
Nick - Thanks for planning to attend in person.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

nadhasudha wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 05:11 Namaste Rasikas,

Dear Nadhasudha,

I miss my dear friend . I often go thru the books he has sent. He will always have a permanent place in our hearts.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Pasupathy wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 17:01
nadhasudha wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 05:11 Namaste Rasikas,

Dear Nadhasudha,

I miss my dear friend . I often go thru the books he has sent. He will always have a permanent place in our hearts.
Respected Pasupathy ji,

Thanks for your kind words. He spent a lot of his later years on this forum and found this group and its discussions to be intellectually stimulating. He felt he was among like minded people with the same values and similar tastes in music and literature. I am glad we have a lot of his writings to refer back to. Every once in a while, I will come here and read his posts. It is almost like he is talking to me.

Thanks again.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Rasikas,

https://youtube.com/c/ParivadiniMusic

Please check out above link on Saturday, Oct 22nd at 6 PM IST for Vidushi Kruthi Bhat's concert in honor of ponbhairavi.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nadasudha
When your appa was living , i opened a thread for him and he started sharing most of his lovely anecdotes and writeups , all exemplary writing. Your father was bit of PG Wodehouse or jerome K jerome but the topics that he handled were more like Thi Janakiraman. Perfect for our website ,Kind of pure CM and south indian cultural topics with english presentation.

He and few senior people like late MKR Sir, Veeyens Sir had so much command over both language and content .Yes there are say about 15 to 20 like that but all of them are perhaps browsing only this site , hope they all come and "write" back. We seem to slowly lose the joy of writing more and sharing.

By any chance did Pondy government or Tamilnadu government recognise any of ponbhairavi writings and contributions.

I will personally give a sincere try to be at kruthi bhat concert, great choice . I went once all the way to pozhichalur to attend her concert , this venue is not that far, only bit more commitment for my family and kid is needed from my side as the day is saturday.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

rajeshnat wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 16:05 Nadasudha
When your appa was living , i opened a thread for him and he started sharing most of his lovely anecdotes and writeups , all exemplary writing. Your father was bit of PG Wodehouse or jerome K jerome but the topics that he handled were more like Thi Janakiraman. Perfect for our website ,Kind of pure CM and south indian cultural topics with english presentation.

He and few senior people like late MKR Sir, Veeyens Sir had so much command over both language and content .Yes there are say about 15 to 20 like that but all of them are perhaps browsing only this site , hope they all come and "write" back. We seem to slowly lose the joy of writing more and sharing.

By any chance did Pondy government or Tamilnadu government recognise any of ponbhairavi writings and contributions.

I will personally give a sincere try to be at kruthi bhat concert, great choice . I went once all the way to pozhichalur to attend her concert , this venue is not that far, only bit more commitment for my family and kid is needed from my side as the day is saturday.
Rajeshnat,

Thanks for your effort in creating the thread which helped capture his writings. I am very grateful to you for that. Also thanks for your kind words.

No, he was not recognized by Pondy government or Tamil Nadu Government. However, he was recognized by the French Institute for his contributions in translating the works of French authors and writing the history of French Literature in Tamil.

It will be good if you can make it in person. However if you are not able to, you can always view it online too.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

@nadhasudha I expect I should know, please excuse, where you are based: will you be at the concert?

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Nick H wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 23:53 @nadhasudha I expect I should know, please excuse, where you are based: will you be at the concert?
Hello Nick,

I am based in US, Michigan to be precise. Unfortunately, I am not able to attend in person but will watch it live thanks to technology. Have spread the word to some relatives who will attend in person.

My dad loved music and so do I. I just want to honor his memory and think of this as an opportunity to support and encourage young talent.

A couple of my dad's favorites and mine will be presented and I am looking forward to this concert.

Hope you can make it in person.

Thanks

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I had a feeling that you were in USA.

I have just had a week off due to cold/flu: I'm planning to get back to RS Hall tomorrow. I look forward to being able to share some photographs with you :)

(can you send me a contact number that I can send Whatsapp to? Or ask Kruthi to pass your number on to me?)

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Nick H wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 19:49 I had a feeling that you were in USA.

I have just had a week off due to cold/flu: I'm planning to get back to RS Hall tomorrow. I look forward to being able to share some photographs with you :)

(can you send me a contact number that I can send Whatsapp to? Or ask Kruthi to pass your number on to me?)
Nick,

I have sent you a private message with my whatsapp number. Please check your private message.

Thanks

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you!

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

https://youtu.be/u-HKg0nA4gQ

Link above will have live streaming of concert

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Namaste Rasikas,

It is time for the third annual memorial concert in memory of my father.

Please mark your calendars and attend in person if possible. Rasikas outside Chennai can catch the streamed concert online live.

The concert is free. My request to Chennai rasikas to attend in person if possible and support the young talent.

Date: Friday, Oct 6th
Venue: Mini Hall of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mylapore, Chennai
Time: 6:30 pm IST

Artists for the third memorial concert

Vocal: Kumari. Shreya Ravikumar
Violin: Vibhavari Gayatri
Mridangam: Ajeet Sridhar

I will post the link to the concert prior to the concert.

Thanks.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Shreya Ravikumar, 19 years, is the student of Kalamamani Vidushi Geetha Raja and Vidushi Padmini Ravi. She is the third and final year student of Advance School of Carnatic Music (ASCM) of Music Academy Chennai trained under Senior most Gurus. Performed concerts in Sabhas like R R Sabha, Indian Fine Arts Society, Krishna Gana Sabha, Naadainbam , Kartik Fine Arts Chennai, Janaranjani Kumbakonam etc . Also performed at TTD Nadaneranjam Tirupati and Thiruvayaru Aradana, Thiruvaiyar.
Presently persuing CA final course of ICAI.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Best wishes to Shreya, gayatri and ajeet and wishing the best for the third year event of Pon Bhairavi Memorial concert. Geetha raja guru is the extraordinary vaggeyakkara Thanjavur Sankara Iyer.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nadasudha,
Wish I were there to meet you and the family when your father is fondly remembered with the music of talented young CM aspirants. Wishing them all an excellent concert which is in memory of a dear Rasikas.org friend.
I look forward to listening to the concert, and if Nick is going to be there, for the special pictures which he captures.
Again, the very best wishes to you.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

rajeshnat wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 14:10 Best wishes to Shreya, gayatri and ajeet and wishing the best for the third year event of Pon Bhairavi Memorial concert. Geetha raja guru is the extraordinary vaggeyakkara Thanjavur Sankara Iyer.
Thanks Rajeshnat.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

arasi wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 18:20 Nadasudha,
Wish I were there to meet you and the family when your father is fondly remembered with the music of talented young CM aspirants. Wishing them all an excellent concert which is in memory of a dear Rasikas.org friend.
I look forward to listening to the concert, and if Nick is going to be there, for the special pictures which he captures.
Again, the very best wishes to you.
Thanks Arasi ji.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

I am posting the link here for rasikas who cannot make it in person to watch it live.

https://www.youtube.com/live/10ojcdMUu8 ... _j8GoPsxjA