The gandharam in Varali

To teach and learn Indian classical music
radhika108

The gandharam in Varali

Post by radhika108 »

Dear Music rasikas,

I am trying to listen compostions in varali and super confused, I am hearing the chatusruti rishabha-->sadharana gandharam oscillation for the ga position in compositions like kanakanaruchira and kavava and seshachala especially in the ascending notes.

Is this how it is sung? While descending it is a little lower but nevertheless osciallating between the same notes. Can someone please clarify? Thanks. If this has already been answered please point me to that thread.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Christian Kenit Ram

Re: The gandharam in Varali

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

Many posts talk about this special Ga treatment , that´s why I was looking for a special topic dedicated to it .

viewtopic.php?p=353193&hilit=varali+gandharam#p353193 ____ Divyamani raga

From the Bhavapriya topic :viewtopic.php?p=263894&hilit=varali+gandharam#p263894

" There are some musicians who render the gandhaaram of Bhavapriya like the Varali gandhaaram. This almost sounds as if Bhavapriya is an amalgamation of Varali and Shanmukhapriya. But going by much empirical evidence, while Bhavapriya certainly shouldn’t sound like Shubhapantuvarali as we have seen, on no account it should sound even *remotely* like Varali! Hence this author is of the VERY strong opinion that Bhavapriya’s gandharam is best when rendered as a plain saadhaarana gandhaaram. "

----------

The last weeks I was listening to some Carnatic lectures about 22 shrutis . Since many details got forgotten by me , I decided to hear them again . Only that this time I had the Varali Ga in mind ....
I thought that it would get mentioned , but the fact is that the lectors mention the Todi ga ( komal sadharana Ga ) and the Shivaranjani ga ( sadharana ga ) as the lowest ga position in a 22 shruti context :|. The shuddha Gandhara is not included .

Maybe someone will do a compact video/lecture with all the swara varieties that are actually popular in ragas even if they do not fit into a 22 shruti context ; well maybe in a 53- , 66-shrutis or any logical or acceptable number ...

Btw CN Ravikiran gives some insights :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZb0HxQGEJc

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

The G1 or Shuddha Gandharam of varali is sounded higher than chaturshruti rishabham (R2) with a soft pull in Arohanam/ascent but lower in avarohanam in dheerga fashion like what's heard in a typical vivadi manner. Maybe that's what U rightly heard so.
Please check this blog link on raga lakshana & details on varali if you r interested more to read: https://anuradhamahesh.wordpress.com/ca ... etachment/

Varali 'Ma' is usually famous too as being close to panchamam with a spl technical name for it or simply as "varali ma" too.
-- just put my thoughts & I am no expert just a listener

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

varALi uses G1. In the rAgAnga raga system it is the 39th rAgAnga raga.

In old notations, the G1 is a vivAdi note - so it is either rendered plain, or it has one or two upward inflections for the gamaka. This was similar to the handling of the G1 on all such vivadi ragas.

However over time the gamaka has grown on the G1 to the point where it oscillates upward continuously between G1-G2 making it the only such case where a vivAdi note is handled in this manner. Because varALi has wider scope in CM compared to the other ragas of its group, this has resulted in this gamaka becoming a permanent feature in today's music.

For comparison, the previous rAganga raga, jaganmOhanam, is handled with a plain G1 or with one upward flick. VarALi has changed.

As a result the gamaka on this is like a continuous kampitam on G2, in the same manner as hemavati or dharmvati, which use G2. To add to this, some musicians have also rendered a plain G2 like shubapantuvarALi at certain places in their raga alapanas or kriti renditions, which is actually wrong and further reinforces this notion of the G2 of varALi.

While the Gamaka on G1 of varALi is indeed beautiful, it is very misleading. It would be like mistaking G3 in kalyANi for M1. So it would be nice if we sang more of the plain note G1 at other places especially in madhyama kala to make it clear.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Isn't the rAgAnga rAga stipulation of Sg1R1g1 mainly to address this issue. I don't think it is easy to reach the correct G1 going SR1G1! Even on descent it is PM2(R1)G1.

I doubt Bhavapriya , with G2 , can ever be done accidentally similar to VaraLi , I mean, in that lower region of commonality. It must be the opposite if at all.

VarALi has lots of consonance on which all its music hangs together. Difficult to box it with svarasthanas. The use of the phrase of lilt , SN3.. PM2 (r1)G1(R1) are all, pair wise consonant ( Suddha madyamams going up, lower Pancamams if looked at from the top).

VijayaSri is rendered with break neck speed to camouflage this! :D