G Ravikiran@Chennai Fine Arts (Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar Day) on Aug 27th,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

G Ravikiran@Chennai Fine Arts (Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar Day) on Aug 27th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : G Ravikiran
Violin : Madan Mohan, googled to find he is the sishya of RK ShriramKumar
Mrudangam : Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam
Kanjira : Bangalore S Purushtottaman

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours and 35 mins - 06:40 to 09:15 PM
Hall : Gokhale Sastri Hall
Sabha: Chennai Fine Arts
Occassion : Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar , 107th Birth Anniversary

1. varnam - ChalamEla jEsEvurA -darbar - Tiruvottiyur Thyagayyar
2. cEra rAvadEmirA (S)-reetigowlai - T
06 mins swaras

3. dinamani vamsa - harikAmbOdhi-T
4. hiranmayeem Lakshmeem (R N S) - lalitA - MD
8 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
5 mins each in neraval and swaras
neraval in gIta vAdya vinOdinIm girijAms

5.narasimha nannu brovara - bilahari - Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar
6. nenaruncinaanu anniTiki (with cittaswaras)- maaLavi- T

7A.kadanuvaariki (R N S T)- todi - T
15 mins alapana and 7 mins violin return
7 mins neraval in bhakta pAlanamu sEyu
5 mins swaras
7B. tani for 18 mins

8. gAyathi vanamAli - yamunakalyani - sadasiva brahmendra
9. karpooram narumO - khamas -Andal
10. nee naam rooopamulagu + mangalam kosalendra
Last edited by rajeshnat on 29 Aug 2022, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: G Ravikiran@Chennai Fine Arts (Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar Day) on Aug 27th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

G Ravikiran is a brilliant artist . I am not sure if he is still in bangalore . Few decades back i heard him when he was a student of RK Shrikantan , bit later he also became a sishya of TM Krishna and we in rasikas team organized a concert in mantras house. I went to the concert as the start was indicated as 6pm . The concert was a celebration to honour the late respected Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar . Vinjamuri's daughter Sandhya ?? did team up chennai fine arts Murali and organized the concert

It was sharp 5 mins before 6pm , as i was seated Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam came in . So i thought the concert will start only 15 mins time late. But Bhaktha sir sat in the first row and talked with Sandhya , the so called pleasant socializing talk . Murali of chennai fine arts is a terrific organizer and he asked can i start . Bhaktha sir asked a 5 mins delay. Then Chennai Fine arts spoke bit about Sandhya and her dad, murali of chennai fine arts was to the point. Vinjamuri is a bit of andhra ariyakudi and a bit of say V V Sadagopan. Vinjamuri apart from being a vocalist wrote lot of h articles and is also vaggeyakkara.Bhaktavatsalam also spoke briefly. Then sound adjustments was done and the concert started at 06 40 Pm with a brief show of books by daughter sandhya. I requested Murali please donot cut short the concert , murali was sweet to go to the main artist . I also went to be doubly sure where i walked to G Ravikiran and said think it is now 06 pm and not 06 40 pm.Perhaps that was the reason for concert to go upto 09 15pm

The start in darbar varnam was a tradition and it was no gimmicks start. RK Shrikantan is a terrific darbar singer , i recollect once i heard him singing it as detailed submain in season. The darbar wil suit bettee with a heavy voice texture which is what the ragam demands and Ravikiran possessed that quality. The second in reetigowlai was well done , how would any one not prefer when reetigowlai is dropped 1 down. This krithi has its quirky turns when compared to most of the krithis of reetigowlai . swaras was well done. Dinamani vamsa was started bit slow and he sang well, but not impressive as either the former or the later krithi that followed

Lalita the magnificent serene ragam came without much loss of serenity. Great keezh kaaalm singing bit reminding TMK was fantastic. In my mind only one kriti was expected and only that came in . Tirumoyichur in peralam has lalita goddess ,MD krithi by G Ravikiran took me to the peralam belt. 20 years back i asked once V V Srivatsa in a lecdem in IFA about this md krithi. He said the neraval should be only sung with gita vadhya and (san)geetha vadhya should not be added . The greatest lalita singer Maharajapuram Ramachandran only sings as geeta vadhya , many inclusive of G Ravikiran sing as sangeeetha vadhya. The two cittaswaras of maalavi thayagraja krithi or neither the mishra chapu of vinjamuri in bilahari impressed me that much .

Todi in main was well done. No wonder to sing TOdi with finesse and elboration demands intense vidwat and Ravikiran indeed sang well. Alapana was excellent and The krithi went well and in neraval he partly did very well for most part . Swaras in todi was just ok , nothing to rave that much as the rest of todi.Also in some pockets percussion was a HIT and not a hit.

In the tukkadas the yamunakalyani gAyathi was emotive rasa that was excellent. The karpooram narumO was a late thamizh night watchman drop that also came out well. His tutelage with TMK was evident with these two krithis.

The violinist Madan Mohan is new to me ,he shows as more a obediant and not a flamboyant violinist . Bit more shadow play with more laya poruttam would have lifted . I googled to find that Madan Mohan is the student of RKSK.Tiruvarur bhakthavatsalam was a hit in most part and some times when he played with reduced sound with just intense fingering was a great lesson in aesthetics . However Bhaktha in the rest of the hit part was mostly a HIT part. In parts of todi or maalavi bit excess power along with BSP going ga ga in laya was not suiting my taste -quite a lot of korvai that killed the krithi. Possiby this hall does not suit the main percussionist as it is too small .Their tani was well done, the first round of bhaktha itself was a tani to me. .

All said in general a request this concert could have started atleast 20 mins(say 06 20 and not 06 40) late . The brief speech was not long at all but contextual information by three takes time. I had an extra tani as i reached home around 10pm. G Ravikiran voice texture has gone bit more masculine and deep that is lovely, he can stay bit more in course with his main grand guru semmangudi fully(not in part) for atleast 1 or 2 krithis .

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours and 35 mins

rajeshnat

Re: G Ravikiran@Chennai Fine Arts (Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar Day) on Aug 27th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : G Ravikiran
Violin : Madan Mohan, googled to find he is the sishya of RK ShriramKumar
Mrudangam : Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam
Kanjira : Bangalore S Purushtottaman

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35759