T.R.Subramaniam's Varnams

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
chinthpeter

Post by chinthpeter »

T.R.S has composed fabulous varnams....and does any of you have the Varnam "Senthil Vaazh" in Hamir Kalyani composed by him ??

If so pls post it ....

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

rAga: hamIrkalyANi tALa: Adi

p. cendil vAzh murugaiyA cEvalA nambinEn
cancalam tIrttaruL en subrahmaNya svAmi

a. vandittEn vaDivazhagA vAlAyuda kaiyA
vandippOdE kA dEvAnai maNavALA

c. mAl marugA muruga guha shaNmugA mandahAsa

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

kmrasika,
in the anupallavi,
should it not be 'vElAyuda kaiyA'?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

'vAlAyudan' would be hanumAn, right? :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

If and when he used it as 'Ayudham'.:)
Then he will become 'vAlAyudha vAlA'(with due apologies to Hanumaanji.:D
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 27 Sep 2008, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Punarvasu wrote:If and when he used it as 'Ayudham'.:)
I was thinking of the 'lankA jalan' episode.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

It was instrumental(not an instrument as such)-instrument and Ayudham are one and the same?
In tamizh there is a saying-'tumbai viTTuviTTu vALaippiDikkiradu' meaning when you run behind a cow or a calf, instead of catching the rope(kayaru), you catch the tail of the animal.
That is precisely what we both are doing here.
rshankar, we better stop here before somebody takes objection.:D:D
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 28 Sep 2008, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

'vALAvirAdu' vAlAi kadai nITTuvadA? (without keeping quiet, you continue the yarn (tail, here)?
For once, let me have the pleasure of playing the role of those who are somewhat intolerant about us, the jesters :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi,
thank God, yours is the last post; now we are saved.Pl.post something after this.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Sorry, just saw your post. Will do, just give me a couple of days.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

TRS has two booklets in print. The first one has some varNAs and some pallavis. The newer one has only pallavis.
The varNAS are in dEvagAndhAri, hamIrkalyANi, varamu, dvijAvanti, sAma, mishra shivaranjani, aThANA and behAg.

vk

Post by vk »

His vocal rendition of Vanajaksha Ninne Varnam in Behag existed on the rasikapriya wesbite. I cant find that now. Its a nice beautiful varnam whihc i attempted learning from his vocal rendtion and i got half way through and it disappeared from rasikapriya. It would be nice if Lakshamnji could sned me notation (vk999_in at yahoo dot com) so that I cant practice on my veena.

prashant

Post by prashant »

The sAmA varNam [innamum shOdanayO] is very nice...

kmrasika

Re:

Post by kmrasika »

Lakshman wrote: 04 Oct 2008, 05:13 TRS has two booklets in print. The first one has some varNAs and some pallavis. The newer one has only pallavis.
The varNAS are in dEvagAndhAri, hamIrkalyANi, varamu, dvijAvanti, sAma, mishra shivaranjani, aThANA and behAg.
Was just looking back over old posts and saw this one. The books are authored by Radha Nambhoodhiri. The first has the notations for the varnam-s and pallavi lyrics with tāḷa kaṇakku, while the second has just the lyrics for 32 pallavis with
tāḷa kaṇakku-s. Since the post is entitled, "TR Subrahmaniam's Varnams" here is the list of the same:

1. gaṇanātha nīyē caraṇamayya - dēvagāndhāri - ādi
2. cendil vāḻ murugaiyya - hamīrkalyāṇi - ādi
3. dharmamā idu tāyē? - varamu - ādi
4. annaiyē unaiyē - dvijāvanti - ādi
5. innamum śōdanaiyō - sāma - ādi 
6. aṅgayaṟkaṇṇi nīyē - śivarañjani (padavarṇam) - ādi
7. innum varādadēnō? - aṭhāṇā - ādi
8. vanajākśā ninnēnammiti - bēhāg - ādi

CRama

Re: Re:

Post by CRama »

kmrasika wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 21:35
Lakshman wrote: 04 Oct 2008, 05:13 TRS has two booklets in print. The first one has some varNAs and some pallavis. The newer one has only pallavis.
Was just looking back over old posts and saw this one. The books are authored by Radha Nambhoodhiri.
It must be Radha Venkatachalam. She is the prime disciple of TRS. Radha Naboodiri is a disiple of Semmangudi.

kmrasika

Re: Re:

Post by kmrasika »

CRama wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 11:46
kmrasika wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 21:35
[/quote

Was just looking back over old posts and saw this one. The books are authored by Radha Nambhoodhiri.
It must be Radha Venkatachalam. She is the prime disciple of TRS. Radha Naboodiri is a disiple of Semmangudi.
Yes it is Radha Venlstachalam. Regret the error.