Requesting translation for Thodi Keerthanam by Madurai R Muralidaran

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Vishkir

Requesting translation for Thodi Keerthanam by Madurai R Muralidaran

Post by Vishkir »

Requesting word for word translation for Thodi Keerthanam “Maa Madurai Valar Meenakshi” by Madurai R Muralidaran. Link to music: https://youtu.be/VdN85roTqkE

KKishore

Re: Requesting translation for Thodi Keerthanam by Madurai R Muralidaran

Post by KKishore »

Lyrics:
P: Maa Madurai Valar Meenakshi Maheshwari Shankari
Ennai Adhari KripAkari Parameshwari

ThAmadham inri nee arul Bhuvaneshwari JananI
DhayApari Kamaleshwari KarunAkari MAthangi

SomaSundara NAthanin AruNAyaki AmbA
ShivakAmaSundari ThirumAlin SahOdhari Saranamadainthein

NAthaRoopini Anavale NAnilam POttrum NAyakiye
Murali Endrum Paninthidave Kaninthudane ParindhuarulvAi

Vishkir

Post by Vishkir »

Namaste
Thank you very much. Will it be possible to do a word for word translation?

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

Will post it soon. I would do for most tamil words, others can pitch in esp for those Sanskrit esp different names of Goddess if needed elaboration, otherwise this is simple lyrics only.

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

Word-Word meaning of above lyrics:
Maa = Big/Highly venerated/respected
Valar = Grown up in
Ennai = Me
Adhari = Support/Protect
KripAkari = Goddess who showers blessings/bestower of blessings,showing kindness & having compassion

This is about Goddess Meenakshi who was grown up in the big and highly respected ancient Madurai city.
O Meenakshi, Maheshwari & Shankari you had grown up in the big and highly venerated place Madurai
You are the Parameshwari as well as Krupakari( who showers blessings ,showing kindness towards all ), Please support/protect me.

ThAmadham = Delay
inri = Without
Nee = You
arul = blessings/grace
DhayApari = Goddess who shows Kindness & compassion,

O Bhuvaneshwari(One who rules the Bhuvanam(world) & JananI , Please grant your blessings without any delay.
You are the one praised as DhayApari, Kamaleshwari, KarunAkari and MAthangi (One with opulent qualities of Mercy,kindness,compassion)

NAthan = Master/Lord
SomaSundara = Lord Shiva who wears the Moon and is beautiful
AruNAyaki = Dearer wife/Chief lady
ThirumAlin SahOdhari(Sister) = Lord Parvati is the sister of Lord vishnu or ThirumAl
Saranamadainthein = I surrendered to you

As AmbA Goddess Parvathi you are the dearer wife/chief lady of Lord Shiva(SomaSundara the onw who is beautiful having moon on his head)
As ShivakAmaSundari( as Goddess Kameshwari the shakthi counterpart of Lord Shiva) and Sister of Lord Vishnu i surrendered to you.

NAthaRoopini = You are in form of NAtham(sound) and all music,vak/speech emanates from you
Anavale = Become that
NAnilam = Earth
POttrum = Praised by
NAyaki = Chief Lady
Endrum = Always
Paninthidave = Bow down to/show obiesance
Kaninthudane = Show mercy/compassion with immediately
ParindharulvAi = Kindly bless
Murali = Refers to poet/composer here, like mudra

O Goddess you became the very (Roopini)form of (NAtham)sound from which all music,speech emanates and the chief most to be praised by inhabitants of Earth.
Always this Murali will bow down to you in respect for you to show your mercy immediately and kindly give your blessings.

Vishkir

Post by Vishkir »

Excellent. Thank you so much🙏🙏🙏

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

A little more info on word I missed to add:NAnilam (word is a sandhi of NAl + Nilam )
Ancient Tamils divided the land into 4 distinct regions called as Thinai based on geographic characteristics/features viz Kurinji(hills & nearby land) , Mullai (Forests & nearby),Marutham (plains/Marsh farmlands) and Neithal (seas& coastal areas) . Though there's fifth also PAlai which is mainly uninhabitable desert like land/place. So the word means Earth comprising of these 4 inhabitable land regions.