Kanniks Kannikeswaran

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rajeshnat

Kanniks Kannikeswaran

Post by rajeshnat »

Kanniks Kannikeswaran is a visionary musician, composer, music educator and writer with several recordings, productions and scores to his credit. Often referred to as 'The Magical Musician from Madras' Kanniks' skill lies in his ability to create captivating music easily accessible to a broad audience base, blending complex features of diverse World Music forms. All of Kanniks' projects are consistent with his vision of building community through the celebration of threads of commonality between diverse peoples and cultures. Kanniks is a recent recipient of the prestigious McKnight Visiting Artist Fellowship (Minnesota) and the Ohio Heritage Fellowship.

Kanniks is hailed as the pioneer of the Indian American choral movement. He has founded and directed Indian American community choirs in Cincinnati OH, Bethlehem PA, Houston TX and Tampa FL and created a large repertoire of choral music based on raagas.

More about him in http://www.kanniks.com/

rajeshnat

Re: Kanniks Kannikeswaran

Post by rajeshnat »

@kanniks
I see so far you have posted about 6 of your original carnatic compositions . I have heard all except last two . They are awesome . i suggest please put all of those in this topic so that all is collated . That way even those who miss out (see you only have 100 readers before another avalanche takes out the focus). Also putting it in one thread will be welcome by folks who are coming into after few years and definitely the next generation who will be so happy to see all of that being collated . More importantly indexes better and keeps it easily search and indexed thru page rank who come in with a google search much much later You can go to your posts with the link search.php?author_id=14005&sr=posts and just post your 5 to 6 compositions posts here please. I prefer you doing with your id please.

Just give a small heading like search.php?author_id=14005&sr=posts

In this topic thread just give a logical heading like this and keep continuing

Ekavimshati rAgamAlika' of 21 ragas
-------------------------------------------
thank you so much! Keep your creative energy and keep sharing

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

Thank you!

kanniks

Compositions Kanniks Kannikeswaran search.php?author_id=14005&sr=posts

Post by kanniks »

search.php?author_id=14005&sr=posts

Here are some of the compositions that I have shared on this forum:

Ekavimshati Ragamala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkDXqSE1Uk - Part I (4+5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25bHftxGLWM - Part II (12) - with reverse sequence of all the 21 ragas

Slokam and Geetam (madhyArjuna pura nilayam) in raga rIti gaula
(raga mudra - dvaita rItyApaham bhaje ham)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1asN8AnTbkU

Dvimadhyama - panchamavarja mela sarashri - rUpaka tAla kriti
sri lalitambA jayati
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ88on3jrww

Latangi pada Varnam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTSe9wwePx4

@kanniks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The geetam was superb - it’s now an earworm!

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

thank you so much @rshankar !

CRama

Post by CRama »

Kanniks, I have just heard your ragmalika. Superb composition, superb theme and kudos to the singers who have internalised this difficult composition and snag with perfection. Hoping t hear this in the concert platform when the situation becomes normal. All the bet.

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

@CRama Thank you so much!

kanniks

Re: Kanniks Kannikeswaran - Sharing a composition in Raga Kannada

Post by kanniks »

Here is a new composition Vijaya Vitthala Raya Murtim bhajarE aharnisham in the Raga Kannada - in praise of Vijaya Vitthala enshrined in Hampi. The ruins of the temple are preserved - and even in this state, it is an imposing monument. The mandapas, the prakaras, the pillars etc were all models for various other temples constructed elsewhere in Southern India. I had visited Hampi in 2018 ; a single visit to Hampi is enough to uplift and inspire you for months together. More on it later.

Performed by Anirudh Venkatesh (Irvine CA)
https://youtu.be/kXcuih5SKd0

Would love to hear feedback from Rasikas.

vijaya vitthala rAya mUrtim
bhajare-aharnisham
nija dAsa hridaya viditam
nijAnanda sukhapradam (vijaya)

anupallavi
ajEndrAdyamara vinutam
ajAkshaya vinirmuktam
ajasikshana vichakshanam
vijaya niagara rakshaNam
sujanavinutam - ashTa-dig
-gajAdi sannuta-charaNam
kashtamOchanam-dushTanigraham- ashTabujakaram (vijaya)

charaNam
vIra krishna Deva rAya sthApitam - A mukta
hAra bhUshaNam kannada sAmrAjya pAlanam
nArasimha rUpam arUpam akaLankam - alam -
kAra kalyANa maNDapE sadanam mrdu gadanam

svaramaNDita stampa-nirata nUtana maNDapa lasitam
karivaradam kharadUshaNa hará raghukulatilakam
purandaradAsa guruguha mahitam - khagarAjahitam
marutaja kapIndra vinutam - bhUmijA ramA sahitam (vijaya)

#kannada, #hampi, #vijayanagara, #vitthala, #pampa, #tungabhadra, #krishnadevaraya,

kanniks

Re: Kanniks Kannikeswaran- dashAvatara rAgamAlika

Post by kanniks »

Here is a new EkAdasha rAgamAlika celebrating the dashAvataras in
ragas
nAta (pallavi)
hamir - matsya
bhUpALam - kUrma
AbhOgi - varAha
dEsi simhAravam - narasimha
shrI (hindustani) - vAmana/trivikrama
vasanta - parashurama
kokilAravam - rAma
gopikA vasantam - balarAma
mohanam - krishna
malhAar (hindustani) - kalki

Would love feedback from rasikas.
Below is a recording of this ragamalika performed by Sanchita Chari and Saadhvi Chari - Irvine CA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOp4NwdqDeU

#kanniks, #ragamalika #dashAvataram

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I enjoyed the composition immensely. I hope it becomes popular with performing artists.
Some comments and questions in no particular order:
1) Loved how each avatAr is connected to the pallavi
2) kOkilArava jAnaki was exquisite
3) Why have you referred to kUrma as “dharaNi dhara”? Isn’t he mEru dhara? Isn’t varAha the one who is dharaNi dhara
4) I suspect that this will make a lively piece for dance, especially with some racy ciTTasvara-s between the various avatAr-s
5) Finally, I felt that a significant portion of the beauty of the lyrics was lost because the mahAprANA-s were totally not pronounced....
6) Is “vidita” your mudra? I hear it in all your compositions. Apologies if you have stated this before.

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

@rshankar - thank you so much for your very kind words.
yes, Vidita is the mudra that I use. Thank you again!

Gokulam Family

Post by Gokulam Family »

Hello Sir!
I am a student of Carnatic Music from Spring, TX. Is it possible to get notations and lyrics for this song? I would love to learn and sing. Email: vasupradha182@gmail.com
Thank you in advance!

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

Please email at kanniks@gmail.com ;
thanks for the interest. Which song in particular?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rivers of India- Music Video
------------------------
Bombay Jayashri with son Amrit Ramnath and Kaushiki Chakraborty with son Rishith Desikan are the lead singers, with a chorus featuring Global IIT Madras alumni and other fellow singers. The music video is conceived and created by India-American musician Dr. Kanniks Kannikeswaran, a former student of the institution, and it is directed by music producer Sai Shravanam. Set in ragas Yamuna Kalyani and Kiravani, the lyrics include the names of 51 Indian rivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmCGm8k2eU

Writeup from The Hindu dated Apr 30,2021
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 446742.ece

Well done @kanniks

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@kanniks
One of the days can you compose one on exclusively the city of chennai (madras) connecting mylapore, tiruvanmiyur, tiruvotriyur and all places of carnatic significance . Also post tuning, may be if time and purse permits also video shoot. This will sell and brand chennai more with relevance with todays diaspora

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

@rajeshnat - thank you so much for your kind words and for the suggestion connecting Mylapore, Tiruvanmyur and Tiruvotriyur. Yes, let us do it.

In the meanwhile, here is one on jalakandeswara (the Ishwara of the body of water per the sthala puranam) enshrined at IIT Madras in bhairavi, rUpaka tALam.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1muq71e ... sp=sharing

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kanniks wrote: 02 May 2021, 02:25 @rajeshnat - thank you so much for your kind words and for the suggestion connecting Mylapore, Tiruvanmyur and Tiruvotriyur. Yes, let us do it.

In the meanwhile, here is one on jalakandeswara (the Ishwara of the body of water per the sthala puranam) enshrined at IIT Madras in bhairavi, rUpaka tALam.

Kanniks, thank you for that lovely trip down memory lane. I do have one comment - based on my understanding and discussions with faculty who were at IITM when the temple was consecrated by the Kanchi Maha Periyavar, the Lord was named by him as jalakaNThESvar (जलकण्ठेश्वर) in samskRtam ('having water up to the neck') - in tamizh, I am told that ஜலகண்டேச்வர can be pronounced as jalakaNDESvar; and your kRti is is samskRtam. Do you have a reference for the "Lord of the body of water"?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

#1 Music Video on Yoga History
Post by kanniks » 28 Jun 2021 02:02

Namaskaram:
Delighted to share this new video 'YogDarshan - The Story of Yoga' released this year around the International Yoga Day. This Music video strings together slokas and verses in Sanskrit and Tamil from all over India in a ragamalika of about 20 ragas, performed by singers from all over India. Recorded at various places in India, mixed and mastered by Sai Shravanam in Chennai, this video brings to life my research on this topic with a spoken and written narrative and visuals from all over India. Would love to hear from Rasikas. Composed and Produced by Kanniks Kannikeswaran - Presented by the Hindu University of America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOnNtizaqQ&t=332s

#yoga, #internationalyogaday, #hindustani, #karnatic
#kalaimagan, #abhayjodhpurkar, #kirannivi, #vasudevkrishna, #sharanyasrinivas

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kanniks wrote: 02 May 2021, 02:25 @rajeshnat - thank you so much for your kind words and for the suggestion connecting Mylapore, Tiruvanmyur and Tiruvotriyur. Yes, let us do it.

Very well done @kanniks Bhairavi is my favourite big five . Looks like a Papanasam Sivan trying his Sanskrit kith.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Very nice! I remember praying to this deity whenever the shower water suddenly used to stop in the middle of my bath at IIT Madras hostel! :-)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kanniks wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 17:08 #1 Music Video on Yoga History
Post by kanniks » 28 Jun 2021 02:02

Namaskaram:
Delighted to share this new video 'YogDarshan - The Story of Yoga' released this year around the International Yoga Day. This Music video strings together slokas and verses in Sanskrit and Tamil from all over India in a ragamalika of about 20 ragas,

Composed and Produced by Kanniks Kannikeswaran - Presented by the Hindu University of America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOnNtizaqQ&t=332s
Kanniks
This production of yours with both music and video is stunning . What depth in content . Few snippets that I enjoyed just chronicling for others to see and hear what you have done

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@moderators and @srkris
I am encountering internal server error when I am posting content with more lines. Please fix it

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

@rajeshnat Thanks so much for your kind words regarding YogDarshan. Look forward to your detailed comments!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Kanniks
This production of yours with both music and video is stunning . What depth in content . Few snippets that I enjoyed just chronicling for others

1. Way back in 2001 or so I had a 75 plus year old yoga teacher who learnt from Tirumoolar school . He spoke only in thamizh even most asana explanation with occassional usage of Sanskrit names . I did not know then about tirumoolar . Atleast then at that age and time , I did not know about Yoga also had such great practitioners like Tirumoolar , i was thinking all that belongs to only patanjali and sanskrit. He even gave a small 80 page book which I thoroughly enjoyed the prose part.

2. You are starting with tirumoolar verses , that too going to some place like thiruvaduthurai . This is simply fascinating

3. Then you traversing to Assam , connecting adishankara in kaladi , then to even Kashmir.

4. I thought you are done with TN then a jump with Thiruvannamalai with kudumbai siddhar was simply too good. At times touch with Tamizh and words is surely better as I understand and helps my focus

5.From there jumping with narration to cover mudhras to music is brilliant . Then going from Gorakhpur, Vadodara, Vijayanagar is fantastic . All three places I have not visited at all

6.Then you anchored my concentration back to a known place Chidambaram . Naan Chidambaram pogamal iruppena . I have not gone to Nerur in Tamilnadu and you connecting Sadashiva brahmendra and also Varanasi . Music flows beautifully at this time your idol Muthuswami Dikshitar came in at varanasi . And you anchoring back from Varanasi to Tiruvarur is fantastic with a superb and familiar gowlai krithi of MD. May be there instead of gowlai , there you could have gone instead with yoga vaibhavam , vaibhavam, bhavam,vam in anandabhairavi as it has yoga 😀

7.You ending with Swami Vivekananda . I was wondering why not BKS Iyengar and bingo you read my mind . Visuals of Paris, SFO, Sydney all with yoga practitioners along with Delhi was well done . You also anchoring with that 90 plus year old naanammal who got Padma award for yoga was well done.

8.Also finally the credit rolls at the end was very informative .Is the narrator Vidita Kanniks your relative.

What can you do further with this masterpiece
———————————————————————
Back in our school days we had songs like Thaayin mani kodi or some Vande Mataram does not bring that Indianness. Quite frankly it did not register that well . But if Your song and the visuals say is beamed in those theatres like where they showcase Mount Everest (those 3 D theatres), it would be wonderful . Excessive free stuff in youtube i am not a fan at all

SO bottom line, based on. a post i wrote a month back

1. Compose and write a song connecting only madras with places like mylapore, tiruvanmiyur , nungambakkam and tiruvotriyur etc

2. Try pushing this content to some bigger theatres so that next gen can come and see the content like those 3D theatres

3. Also can you throw some insight on what is this Hindu University of America. Is this also connected with some groups who write lovely articles where mostly NRI's write , many a times countering the usual Indianness bashing in most media circles?

Kudos to all your extended team. I see a bit of Shri Papansam Sivan in you where you move on with ease with both sanskrit and thamizh with words and music. Also there is a bit of more familiar Shri Lalgudi Jayaraman where you connect with say dance etc... More power to you.

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

@rajeshnat
Here is part of the Academic foundation behind Yog Darshan. Please read at your leisure.
https://rdcu.be/cqzzm

Thanks and regards
Kanniks

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

@rajeshnat
Also the ragas in the video are all context based.
Thanks so much for your kind words.
Trying to figure out how to take this video to a wider audience!
Thanks again!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kanniks wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 18:15 @rajeshnat
Also the ragas in the video are all context based.
Could you explicitly state the ragas and context. I think I got few but I want to get all the raga list and context.

I also asked question about narrator.

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

The narrator Vidita is my daughter, who has also sung a couple of passages.

Ragas -
Kalyan - Meditation
Marwa - Omkar
Megh - Upanishads/Gita
Jog - for Yog- Yoga Sutras
Bauli - Mylapore - Tiruvalluvar
Mohanam - Tirumular - Tirumandiram
Lalita - Lalita Sahasranamam
Kedar - Adi Sankara and Kedarnath
Jog - Yoga Yajnavalkya
Bhairav - Vijnana Bhairava tantra
Shudh Sarang - Saranga Deva
Senjurutti - Folk
Devakriya - Hatha Yoga Pradipika/Gorakhsha/Viveka Martanda (note singer Vivek Sadasivam here)
Gambhira Nattai - Chidambaram
Kannada Gaula - Karnataka/Hampi
Hamsadhwani - Hamsa-soham (Nerur and Gheranda Samhita)
Udaya Ravichandrika - Guruguha
Gaula
Desh - Summing it up all over India

Thanks!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kanniks wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 19:47 Kalyan - Meditation
Marwa - Omkar
Megh - Upanishads/Gita
Bauli - Mylapore - Tiruvalluvar
Mohanam - Tirumular - Tirumandiram
Gambhira Nattai - Chidambaram
Udaya Ravichandrika - Guruguha
Gaula
@kanniks
i got other connections from your list .I did not get the above . one liner to explain what i am yet to connect please

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@kanniks
Gentle reminder on last post

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

rajeshnat wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 06:09 @kanniks
Gentle reminder on last post
Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Kalyan - Meditation - Auspicious start with kalyan
Marwa - Omkar - the meditative feel of the raga
Megh - Upanishads/Gita - Somehow wanted to evoke memories of the Mahabharat Doordarshan serial with the Gita verses
Bauli - Mylapore - Tiruvalluvar - No particular reason other than to introduce a distinct Southern Indian flavor
Mohanam - Tirumular - Tirumandiram - No particular reason - I had already set this verse to Mohanam in 2014in a performance.
Gambhira Nattai - Chidambaram - With visuals of Chidambaram/Sirkali - and the 'tODuDaiya seviyan' connection - this was most appropriate to show the South INdian connection with Shiva temples
Udaya Ravichandrika - Guruguha -- There are lines inspired by 3 of the guruguha vibhakti kritis - URC brings in the raga of yet another kriti - the final one in the series.
Gaula - This segment uses phrases from Dikshitar's gowla kriti - in the same melodic construct.

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

Playlist of compositions for Kartika Somavaram.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmIG ... FGbXN8rAzb

The sidereal month of Kartika - Monday - Kartika Somavaram. Here is a playlist of compositions celebrating Shiva temples around India.
1. Madhyarjuna pura nilayam - gItam in rIti gowla (Tiruvidaimarudur)
2. shri jalakanteswaram - kriti in Bhairavi (the Jalakanteswara temple on campus - IIT Madras - 500 year old place of worship)
3. ambara kesha - gitam in Brindavani composed by Venkatamakhi in praise of Tyagaraja at Tiruvarur
4. Ekavimshati Ragamala - in 21 ragas (in praise of shri Vaidisvaran koyil, the panchabhuta temples (Chidambaram, Kalahasti, Tiruvannamalai, Jambukeshvaram, Kanchipuram) and the 12 jyotirlinga temples)
5. Tillana in raga useni - (in praise of shri Kalahastisvara )
Singers: Bharati Kamakoti, Shradha Ganesh Kanniks Kannikeswaran, Lakshmi YadhuNandan , Sooryah Yadhunandan

kanniks

Kanniks Kannikeswaran

Post by kanniks »

Namaskarams to all:
Sharing a new composition 'Raag Darshan', a ragamalika in 75 ragas - a music video celebrating 75 years of Indian independence. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Featuring singers Sathya Prakash, Abby V (Canada), Keerthana Vaidyanathan (Student of Bombay Jayashree), Savitha Sai, Reeshabh Purohit and Mayur Davay.
Lyrics in Sanskrit, with raga names encoded.
https://youtu.be/0wRvc9I3rSc

thank you so much!
Kanniks

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@kanniks

what a vidwat and what an arrangement of words with music. well done kanniks. I heard just twice and just writing this with volatile memory

1. YOu even connected meghalaya with megh and even other north eastern states like tripura , nagaland. Even manipur with manirang. That was too good

2. some ragas like cittaranjani you start like swaraksharam with the popular naadatanumanisham where it has sa ri ga ma

3. You pick your favourite iconic personality which i am asssuming you adore the most . I mean muttuswami dikshitar and you kanniks enter only there with a rain drench in amruthavarshini. There it is mahakavi bharathi + Muttuswami dikshitar where kanniks enters, wow and you go back to backend

4. All singers sing very well. 2 Names are new to me . rest i am familiar , one of them Abhishek or Abby used to write reviews , so that means not just kanniks , we also have Abhishek from this site

5. Some ragas like nand or some other name is very very new

6. Not to take away anything from the collection , as the flow was ending i was wondering when you went the lovely bhairavi for 74th, then you went with 75th sindhubhairavi. i was mentally thinking may be a madhyamavati for 75th. Any case may be the words were difficult to bring in madhyamavati. This is just a minor point to suit my taste, i think sindhubhairavi is a bit of fake ragam bit diluted classical to end(just kidding) . The end reminds of milesur mera thumara ending, you could have countered against that historical repetition .

7. when chakra series was on the last 15 ragas , perhaps you could have put the Tiruvarur sthalam in visuals , i think you may have missed is my assumption

8. What is the temple just before hamasadhwani , is that mayavaram mayuranathaswamy or chidambaram

9. You connecting maayamaalava gowlai with buddha statue and also some raga with amritsar golden temple makes me think you went with all religions based out of India . Did you skip jainism ?

All said very well done Kanniks , this is bit like mile sur mera thamara is marching towards the 72 megaragamalika krithis of mahavaidhyanatha sivan. You settled some where in between

Just a humble request
--------------------
i gave some wishlist few years back, just add one more. You can do one in thamizh and/or sanskrit connecting say the navagraha temples in mayavaram-kumbakonam- tiruvarur belt . Also in the next one , i want one with only pure carnatic kutcheri pakkavadhyams - only vocal, violin, mrudangam,kanjira, ghatam and ofcourse tambura. Not even any other instruments like tabla, sitar, veena , nadaswaram,flute, jalatharangam.

Thru you let the next gen should crave for say MMI+SSI+GNB Plus LGJ +MSG + TNK Plus PMI + PSP etal, let them get acclimitized with great visuals that you have done where the aural part is carnatic kutcheri typecast

All said well done Kanniks and team. What an effort from you. I take a bow

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

I just saw your kind post @rajeshnat ; thank you so much.

Quick answers: The temple just before hamsadhvani is Tiruvarur; for very good reasons, (the lyrics for the hamsadhvani line). (This also answers your #7 above).

The statue of Bahubali at Sravanbelagola is displayed at 'karanATAdi bahu Desa'

And thanks so much for the suggestions. I will surely work on those!

Many thanks again..
Kanniks

kanniks

Kanniks Kannikeswaran - New Ragamalika on Krishna - Janmashtami 2023

Post by kanniks »

Here is a new Hindustani Ragamalika themed on Krishna on the occasion of Krishna Jayanti- Gokulashtami 2023, with the ragas
Jayjayvanti
Nand
Kalingada
Shyam Kalyan
Malhaar
Brindavani Sarang
Shree
Tilak Kamod
Bhup
Mishra Maand
With lyrics in Sanskrit and pointers to the raga mudra (e.g. pAnchAli samrakshaNam pancha pANDavAdi bhUpAla pAlanam)

Vocals: Reeshabh Purohit and Dance: Athira Pratap (both based in the US)
Would love to hear feedback from Rasikas. Please watch the video and listen using headphones (or watch on a big screen)
https://youtu.be/dEA5WMbYhxM?si=IG4pb3opDhpe8TIF

kanniks

Kanniks Kannikeswaran

Post by kanniks »

NEW COMPOSITION on Ayodhya - srI rAmachandram
Inspired by the Dikshitar Kriti paradigm
Ragam: Kalyan(i)
Singers: Abhay Jodhpurkar and Reeshabh Purohit
Would love to hear your thoughts.

https://youtu.be/Y9Dh3OfP-eM?si=KDVF5IOlqYou4JsZ