Raja by RanjaniGAyatri@MusicAcademy On June 05,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Raja by RanjaniGAyatri@MusicAcademy On June 05,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Raja by Raga@MusicAcademy On June 05,2022
------------------------------------------
Vocal : Ranjani Gayatri
Violin : Vittal Rangan
Mrudangam :Sai Giridhar
Ghatam : Krishna
Concert Type : Nirvana and is a paid concert
Day/Duration : Sunday / I dont know- some one can let us know

Raja by Raga - A concert by Ranjani Gayatri of Ilaiyaraaja Songs | Concert Review is done in youtube . Looks like the sisters worked hard and they also presented a RTP in reetigowlai. Well I liked everything except the abang at the end. All said well done sisters. I particularly liked them to keep the same set of accompaniment and did not go overload with multiple instruments. were the accompanists

Vidushis Ranjani & Gayatri presented a novel concert at The Music Academy in Chennai on June 5, 2022. They sang Maestro Ilaiyraaja's songs in the traditional Carnatic concert style and regaled audience with the brilliance of Raja Sir's compositions. This is a review/recap video of that concert by Priya Parthasarathy. This video review has adequate clippings to perhaps state all the songs they sang - it is just 21 minutes.Illayaraja Sir has attended the same event and has also spoken , may be in the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRM327Vy7U

If any one had attended the live concert, please do add your review. I did not attend

Added this part a day later on June 07th
------------------------------------
RTP Reetigowlai pallavi line was
Chinna Kannan Raadhayai Azhaikkiran!
Aval Manam Konda Raagathai Paadi
You all may know the famous film song sung by DR BAlamuralikrishnan chinna kannan azhaikiran where maestro tuned in 1977 in the film kavikuyil. THe ragam was the same reetigowlai

Also Raaja sir has given a 6 mins tweet appreciating the sisters preperation and delivery
https://twitter.com/ilaiyaraaja/status/ ... hkl6mtCT2E

Raaja Sir can also go to Vanimahal , SKGS and Mudhra near his home to taste bit more carnatic music from different vidwans and vidushis.

rajeshnat

Re: Raja by RanjaniGAyatri@MusicAcademy On June 05,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Added 2 more bits of information just now about pallavi and twitter by Raaja Sir by reediting the above post.

carnatician

Re: Raja by RanjaniGAyatri@MusicAcademy On June 05,2022

Post by carnatician »

I did attend this concert, which appears to have caused quite a bit of buzz in social media the last few days.

The concert lasted approx 2h 40m. The hall was fully packed. Ticket prices ranged from Rs. 1000/- in the upper balcony all they way to Rs. 10,000 for the front row seats. Audience was mixed with several folks clearly having limited to zero exposure to carnatic music.

KP Nandini & Sumukh Jois provided Tambura support. A third shishya Madhuri Kaushik was seated on stage but didn't look she played any real supporting role.

The front row near the stage was empty and occupied solely by IR for much of the concert. Aruna Sairam & her husband came in a bit later and sat a few seats away from him.

There will certainly be purists who may not appreciate the concert and the theme, but I found it highly enjoyable. The RaGa sisters had certainly put in a great deal of effort in song/raga selection and content. The YouTube link posted above in the earlier post offers a fairly comprehensive review of the event.

The Grihabedham medley involved Sai Giridhar swapping through five different mridangams for his right hand, to match the tones - was something new for much of the audience.