Raji Gopalakrishnan

Carnatic Musicians
vageyakara

Raji Gopalakrishnan

Post by vageyakara »

Smt.Rajee gopalakrishnan , a versatile performer, deserves the much needed attention by the rasikas who yearn for classism in every aspect of Carnatic Music.The following link wpuld speak for itself the prowess she already has to her credit.
http://www.karnatik.com/s0008.shtml
I am sure rasikas would appreciate my plea
Ramaraj
Last edited by vageyakara on 30 Apr 2007, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

As an admirer of Raji and as a lover of Vivadi ragas, I have already heard kanakaangi kriti(of Sri. KR), and now I had the golden opportunity to listen to her renditions in the ragas(1)Naasikabhushani (2)calanaatai.Both kritis are of K r).Really fantastic indeed.The lingering melodies are sure to captivate the ardent CM lovers.I have to thank Prashanthi for giving the detailed list
Noorani
Last edited by vageyakara on 05 May 2007, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

prashanthi515

Post by prashanthi515 »

Hallo Noorani and other brothern,
hope u would have had a chance to listen to theKAMAAS -AnnayE Krithi(of Kr)sung by Rajee.It has even caught the attention of CMLover who has besides learning the same, posted his rendering in this forum Under vageyakara thread.Please listen to this
Prashanthi

rajeshnat

Re: Raji Gopalakrishnan

Post by rajeshnat »

One of my favourite vidushis , not heard much in the last few years.
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/effo ... 357343.ece

Mods
Change the thread name to Raji gopalakrishnan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Review of vidushi raji gopalakrishnan in Dec 12th,2014 The hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... ertainment

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

This year her morning concert in academy was sung instead by Vasundhara Rajagopal. She usually will have one in BVB and one in hamsadhwani. I dont see her name at all - for about 6 days I did not look the paper. I am assuming she went out of chennai during this season - is that right. A brilliant and wonderful vidushi , I hope she comes soon to chennai.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Raji Gopalakrishnan was featured in the academy on Dec 28.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

hnbhagavan wrote:Raji Gopalakrishnan was featured in the academy on Dec 28.
She was slotted YES. But she did not sing Vasundhra rajagopal sang. I verified in ma website.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

rajeshnat: Just an idle boast from an "old mumbaikar"-(It cannot be helped--the void in Chennai had to be filled up by imports from Bombay--Bombay sisters, Raji GopalkrishnanBombay Jayashree,Ranjani Gayathri-She grew up in Bombay--her father the late P.V.Natarajan(his son Narayanan is a good Mridangist and has accompanied several dance arangetrams in the San Jose area) She came down to Chennai to pursue learning from TMT sir. Mr. Natarajan used to be called matunga GNB in the Mid Forties--a very good amateur singer--strong in Layam. In the late sixties we used to have impromptu concerts in some of our houses in Bombay when PVN and a couple of young male amateurs used to sing and my brother M.S.Sekhar used to accompany them--a very talented family.

Another trivia-- Raji's uncle is a co-brother-in-law of TNK sir!! Now I can understand if the whole Rasikas crowd rises up in arms protesting my Mudikondan-style rambling losing sight of the main thread!!!!!My apologies!!!

Back to Raji--I I have not heard her lately-she used to be in the Middle East.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Raji Gopalkrishnan's father the late P.V.Natarajan(his son Narayanan is a good Mridangist and has accompanied several dance arangetrams in the San Jose area) She came down to Chennai to pursue learning from TMT sir. Mr. Natarajan used to be called matunga GNB in the Mid Forties--a very good amateur singer--strong in Layam. ....
Back to Raji--I I have not heard her lately-she used to be in the Middle East.
MKR Sir,
I did not know shri P V Natarajan has become Late Natarajan. He is also a very good composer , I remember once Raji sang one composition of his on Lord Ayyappan in haunting sivaranjani. In Mid Forties natarajan was matunga GNB hmmmm.... then you sabotaged his career and became Mid Sixties matunga GNB. :lol:

Vidushi Raji definitely moved out to Madras from Gulf in 90's . I remember one of her disciples S M Vilasini (this year she is doing bit of rounds i saw her in few concert postings in print) used to write about her. There were some lovely kutcheri writeups from toronto by his disciple Abhishek Iyer in our forum many years back.

For many years I did not know the greatness of TM Thyagarajan . He is just way too brilliant . Raji also has learnt from bombay balamani madam and also few rounds of sishya kula vasam with who else other than the great TAla Raga Swaroopan. She also has won outstanding vocalist for two years in early or mid 2000 from academy.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Once in Podhigai TV- may be 15 years back there was one RTP by Raji Gopalakrishnan in Kharaharapriya. This pallavi contained the names of the three Acharyas of Kanchi mutt. It was a full one hour RTP containing all the technicalites of a grand pallavi. That I will consider equal to the Jaganmohini pallavi of DKP. I was having a recording of that but lost since then. Rajesh/MKR/anybody else if you have got it, kindly share it.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

CRAMA: Sorry I saw your post only today. Raji lives in NJ and I am trying to contact her--I was not aware that she has migrated to the USA.

As soon as I get her details I will forward it to her.
Again my apologies for my tardiness!!! Age is catching up with me!!!!

CRama

Post by CRama »

MKR, Thanks for your steps. I will be delighted if I get that RTP.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

2 to 3 weeks back I wrote the review of Raji Academy concert. The online Hindu review is up on Jan 11,2018
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 420870.ece

p.s the violinist is not raghavendra rao but m r gopinath. The HIndu writeup has got the violinist name wrong

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

CRama: The jaganmOhini RTP by Pattammal is available at sangeethapriye site, under B.Manjunath uploads-concerts 117 and 455. the latter one is more elaborate.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Lakshman Sir, What I requested in my earlier post was the RTP in Kharaharapriya sung by Raji Gopalakrishnan. I compared that with the Jaganmohini RTP of DKP.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

i did not this krithi of sadguru till i heard this rendition.There is no mention about the singer . i am assuming that the singer is this extraordinary singer raji gopalakrishnan. what a soothing rendition, one of my favorite singer , i only knew her after the advent of internet forums.She has won few times best singer in academy in 1990s and early 2000 which by then i did not know

what a joy to hear this anandabhairavi , by any chance is this part of utsava sampradaya krithi
Rama rama nivaramu- anandabhairavi - T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWg_uOMHdqc

If some one thinks the singer is not raji g , let us know here

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
How very soothing and pleasing, this Tyagaraja's nAma sankIrthanam! Seems ideal for children to learn.

You know that I am a fan of Raji Gopalakrishnan. Though I haven't heard as many concerts of hers as you have, I made it a point not to miss her if I were in town. She sang a few of our Ramaraj's compositions and that was how I started listening to her. The last one I heard in person was her Music Academy concert some years ago. Was it the one where it was Sukanya and Bhagyalakshmi who were on percussion? Not sure.

Yes, this sounds like her. The tIrmAnam, sweetness of voice and its fluidity.