Music Academy Sangeethakalanidhi

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
hnbhagavan

Music Academy Sangeethakalanidhi

Post by hnbhagavan »

It is unfortunate that the academy decided not to award the Kalanidhi title in 2020 and 2021.The Academy should announce the awards of 2020 and 21 along with 2022.
Hope the august body will hold the grand Music festival in 2022.

thanjavooran

Re: Music Academy Sangeethakalanidhi

Post by thanjavooran »

Best of luck to Guruvayur, VVS and THV this season.

CHELLAM

Post by CHELLAM »

sri neyveli santhana gopalan deserves SK due for a very long time

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

FB post by V Sriram, academy secretary:

The Madras Music Academy is happy to announce its list of awardees -

The Sangita Kalanidhi is being awarded with retrospective effect for the missed years as well -

Sangita Kalanidhi 2020 - Neyveli Sri Santhanagopalan

Sangita Kalanidhi 2021 - Thiruvarur Sri Bhaktavatsalam

Sangita Kalanidhi 2022 - Lalgudi Sri GJR Krishnan & Vijayalakshmi

Sangita Kala Acharya

Dr Ritha Rajan

Dr RS Jayalakshmi

Kizhvelur Sri NG Ganesan

TTK Awards

Nemani Sri Somayajulu

Sri AV Anand

Thamarakkad Sri Govindan Namboodiri

Musicologist Award

Dr V Premalatha

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Congrats to all the recipients of MA awards.
Best wishes.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Excellent choice.I congratulate all the awardees.

arasi

Post by arasi »

namaskArams and congratulations to all vidwans and vidushis :)

Sri. NSG,
Was waiting for this to happen. It finally did!

Sri. Bhakthvatsalam and the Lalgudi siblings to follow suite is just as agreeable.
Thus, all forms of music: vocal, instrumental and percussion are covered.
Different schools too! Lineage as well. HMB, TNS and now NSG (in the course of years, I can visualize Sriranjani being one)!
Lalgudi family continues the tradition of excellence.

Other awards are well-deserved as well. CM practitioners from other regions are awarded too. Of course, there will be omissions according to some, but the fact remains that only a certain number of vidwans and vidushis can be awarded each year.

Bhagwan, I bet you are really very happy with this year's list, for obvious reasons!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasiji
Fully agree with you. Guruvayur and VVS are already above 80 and of course can wait for few more years. THV got his life time award.
My view.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

IT is clear if it was decided that award has to go to viiolinist then the expected choice was Lalgudi siblings and similarly for mrudanga vidwan , Tiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam was the expected choice. On vocalist few rumours were floating all said NSG deserves the award. Whoever were anti establishmment and also other issues that came up recently were not given awards for sure.

Glad they rolled for all 3 years. Best wishes to all awardees

The HIndu writeup that will come possibly tomorrow in print edition is now online

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 446517.ece

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

An aside (from The Hindu article)...
Mr. Murali said Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin had consented to be the Chief Guest and inaugurate the 96th annual conference and concerts of the Academy on December 15, 2022.
So there will be a Music-Academy live season this year?

:D in anticipation!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Pranams to all the awardees! They indeed are the artistes that I have personally listened to directly many times, may be after Sanjay, Smt. Sudha and Smt. Kanyakumari. Even TNS I just missed in his prime - like early 80s.

So my generation of artistes :D

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

My hearty congratulations to all the awardees, although some very senior artists have been ignored.

Murali proved to be more a political slave of establishment than a carnatic music Music supporter ! What a STUPID choice of a person to inaugurate the Academy function ! He could have as well invited Mr Putin instead. An atheist ignoramus like Stalin for the occasion ?!The Academy HAS gone to DOGS !

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sangita Kalanidhi 2020 - Neyveli Sri Santhanagopalan
Sangita Kalanidhi 2021 - Thiruvarur Sri Bhaktavatsalam
Sangita Kalanidhi 2022 - Lalgudi Sri GJR Krishnan & Smt Vijayalakshmi

Incidentally way back in 2007, when NSG hosted the concert of his guru Thanjavur Sankara Iyer in rasikas concert championed by coolkarni, at that time Lalgudi Krishnan indeed played along with TKM . Apart from Bhaktavatsalam in the audience we also had Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi in the audience

So we gave 3 future SK's way back in 2007 itself in the same mEdai.All said the eldest vidwan and most revered Vaggeyakkara Thanjavur Shankara Iyer who may be around 100 if at all he lived for 2 more years must be proud of his direct sishya (NSG) and his manaseega sishyas (Bhakthavatsalam Sir and Lalgudi Siblings). Now the eldest vidwan Shri TK Murthy sir who played must be pleased with all 4 of them. I am sure that many Guru's blessings is for them to carry out this divine art(rather the most highest divine art) in decades to come for them to delight us.

@Rajumds or @vasanthakokilam any one else
In be below link i pushed lot of photos in picassa in 2007, they are all gone.By any chance either you or has any one else has those uploads downloaded .

Check viewtopic.php?t=3788

RSR

Post by RSR »

about p-12 by @Sundara Rajan
Most respected Sir, Not that I approve of the choice. .but why drag in Putin ? why not 'say' Biden or Boris or Kim ?..They could have asked the Central Finance minister, who, I think, knows a thing or two about music of the south- of classical variety.
IIRC, even when Dr.Raghavan was administering things, Kalaignyar KaruNaaNidhi was asked to preside over the function . and Kalaignyar delivered a very fine speech , about classical music and the Trinity and endorsing the suggestion of Smt.MS that classical carnatic music should be compulsory subject in schools.
-
Chidambaram S Jayarama Pillai (now better known as Kalaignar Karunanidhi’s brother-in-law, his sister Padmavathi being the first wife of the former CM and mother of Mu Ka Muthu, he came from the lineage of Shudda MaddalamThambiappa Pillai, the disciple of Muttuswami Dikshitar),
https://sriramv.wordpress.com/2019/12/1 ... -ago-1944/
That particular session was I think in commemoration of Muthuswami Dikshitar. Fittingly, as perhaps thought by Dr.VR , Kalaignyar was born in Thiruvarur kshetram and belonged to traditional music community. .
-

. We can expect the CM to announce some special financial grant to MA. The CM may surprise us with very informative and sweet address , aided as usual by speech writers for all bigwigs, the world over. What is there in a name ? when we can get govt support and funds. (!).
====================================
Here is the Music Academy journal under discussion , Muthuswamy Dikshitar memorial session
https://musicacademymadras.in/musicacad ... 7_1976.pdf
---------------
The Hon. Dr. Kalaignar Karunanidhi then delivered his
Inaugural Address in Tamil, an English summary o f which is
furnished below :—
I am thankful to the President of the Music Academy and theother Executives for inviting me to inaugurate this Conference.
The services rendered by the Madras Music Academy for the
past 48 years for the propagation of traditional Carnatic Music are
highly commendable.
Many scholars have delivered illuminating speeches while
inaugurating the conferences or presiding over them and I hope the
Academy will compile them and publish them.
This Academy has been rendering yeomen services for the
preservation of not only Carnatic music but also of Bharata Natyam,
Kalakshepam and even Hindustani Music.
The word ‘Isai’ also means ‘agree’ or ‘accept’. I have therefore
great pleasure in agreeing to inaugurate the 49th Conference of the
Academy and also the Bicentenary of Sri. Muthuswami Dikshitar.
Music is an alhpervading fine art. We bear music in running brooks,
in birds singing from trees and the lisping of children. 'A great
scholar Called Congreve has said that “Music can control wild
animals, melt rocks and bend even a mighty .tree.”
Eyen .workmen sing while they do thek'daily work. Women
sing in the fields while engaged in agricultural wbrk.
$ THE JOURNAL OF THE MADRAS MUSIC ACADEMY [Vpl. XLVIE

Carnatic music reached the pinnacle of its glory by the
services rendered by Dikshitar, Tyagaraja and Syama Sastri, the
three giants of our music.
I am closely associated with Tiruvarur where all the three were
born.
Some people think that Carnatic music has no connection with
the Tamil language. There is no reason to conclude that merely
because the Trinity composed songs in other languages, they did not
favour Tamil compositions. In the name of modernity, we should
not demolish the very foundations of our music. Poet Subrahmanya
Bharati has expressed great anguish at Vidwans repeatedly singing,
only a few kirtanas. He was anxious that new compositions should
be sung in concerts.
In the past, even film songs were being composed in classical
Carnatic music. It is only today we find cheap music entering thfr
film world.
We should not conclude that classical music is passing through
-a crisis. Even in Western countries, classical music has met the
-challenge of jazz music and pop music. The foundations of
-our classical music are strong and can withstand any attack by light
music.
I welcome the suggestion made by Smt. M ., S. Subbulakshmi '
that music should be made a compulsory subject in schools. This
does not mean that every one should become a concert artiste. Music
helps the spiritual advancement of a person.
Apart from classical music, Bharata Natyam, Nadaswaram
music, Yazh music and other instrumental music also need our
wholehearted support. ' The Tamil Nadu Govt, is doing its best to
foster these arts and would welcome suggestions from music lovers.
I have great pleasure in announcing here that the Tamil Nadu
Govt, has set apart an amount of Rs. 1,25,000/- for producing a
Documentary on Smt. Balasaraswati by the famous film Director
Sri. Satyajit Ray.
I once again thank every one concerned for giving me this
opportunity of inaugurating this Conference dedicated to the
memory of Sri. Muthuswami Dikshitar.
======================================
This brief translation does little justice to the wonderful speech by him in Thamizh. ...it even changes the meaning of what he said.
Trying to place the thamizh version in a website and sharing soon.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Perhaps it is in the nature of MA to go for some VIP in society at large, rather than focus on the music community alone. Leaving aside the worlds of cinema, etc, I guess that the CM is the biggest fish in that pond, albeit locally. Sabha organisers are not entirely immune from calling someone completely ignorant of music because... Big Name! Perhaps not that often, but we all know from experience that it does happen.

I see @Sundara Rajan's point. But I think @RSR makes good points too, and it is interesting to know what MK had to say. It might be better to judge the Honbl CM after, rather than before, the event!

Anyway, bottom line is that there will be two weeks of concerts and just a few minutes of inauguration. Inauguration itself is barely necessary and it doesn't matter who does it. Those who crowd out VIP functions are probably least interested in the music that follows, and those that love the music are glad to get that part of things over if they attend at all.

So let the Institutional aspect of the MA do its thing. And let us enjoy the music afterwards! :)

nAdopAsaka

Post by nAdopAsaka »

The violinist son and daughter, however distinguished, are still droplets of the "ocean of the art of music" that is LGJ.

By awarding the "droplets" (assuming they accept), after rebuffing the father, it seems to me this club/academy has reaffirmed the irrelevance of this type of award.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 23 May 2022, 09:08 My hearty congratulations to all the awardees, although some very senior artists have been ignored.

Murali proved to be more a political slave of establishment than a carnatic music Music supporter ! What a STUPID choice of a person to inaugurate the Academy function ! He could have as well invited Mr Putin instead. An atheist ignoramus like Stalin for the occasion ?!The Academy HAS gone to DOGS !
I beleive it is a brilliant move to invite Stalin to be the Chief Guest, considering what is ahppening in TN after the DMK took over and the kind oif controversies that you see / hear over temple management / HR&CE Board trying to take over temples and institutions.

Perhaps MA wanted to be politically correct and a good equation with the Political Party in order to protect an institution dominated by the Bhramin clan :D :D
Last edited by ram1999 on 23 May 2022, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Seems to be an unjust statement by nAdopAsaka.It is true that LGJ pioneered the art of playing Violin and had investigated the nuances of Carnatic Music.
But nonetheless the Lalgudi Siblings have grown from strength to strength and i have heard their concerts in tandem since 1986.
Music Academy atoned their failure by conferring Life time award on LGJ .
LGJ buried the earlier bitterness and accepted the one time award.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bhagwan,
True. Then, the Academy missed the opportunity in conferring the award on LGJ. Now, it not only pleases the institution but it would also please him no end as he sees his children and the pANi being recognized, from up above.

Then again, we know that the thread which starts with the announcement of the Academy's awards usually resembles an old-fashioned version of the bridegroom's side of the family finding some fault or other even in a perfect wedding with the bride's side at the occasion. "The coffee was awful!" being a starter!

Times have changed but certain carps remain. About the Academy too.

Sundararajan,
We do know that the kalaignar was partial to music and his daughter and even grand daughter learned music. He was supportive of artistes in his time. It could also be a hint from the Academy that the arts should be nurtured by the present government. That he should even better his father in his support of the arts and its practitioners?Just wondering...
Last edited by arasi on 23 May 2022, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I do hope the Academy is generous enough to share at least snippets from the season's concerts with rasikas who cannot be there at the venue for various reasons. A gift to music lovers everywhere after the pandemic-brought about-drought would be such a boon... :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Great! Just as I was trying to respond, RSR has posted an elaborate one, detailing the reasons for the choice. The background material is extensive. I had forgotten about the lineage and MK being the president one year.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
How very true! RasikAs needn't worry about that part of the proceedings anyway, considering most might not even attend since there will be other good concerts to go to elsewhere at that time...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Is it not the case that many a student is but a drop in the ocean of their guru? It is no reason not to recognise the student. And make the guru proud.

I'm not sayings there have been no wrongs. But that was then and now is now.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well-said, Nick!
Those were the days and am I glad it's all history now...
In the matter of the two SK designates, its both heredity and environment. That too, double-fold in the siblings, offsprings of the old master.

nAdopAsaka

Post by nAdopAsaka »

I am afraid I disagree.

This is not a "wrong" , it is a travesty, that was perpetrated and carefully maintained over several decades.

Also, this father (LGJ) cannot be considered as just another guru.

The creation of a parallel lifetime, "atonement" award , that is expressly for those not awarded the SK, further acknowledges the incongruity of such a system.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

@nAdopAsaka, i respect your point of view, especially as you are almost certainly much more informed on the matter than I am. But I do feel that the family honour is probably best left to the family --- who have decided to accept the award.

(There are all sorts of incongruities. I'd begin with the one that says that one particular award from one particular sabha represents the peak of achievement in this field!)

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

The SK thread has been hijacked as usual, thanks to the cynicism of the members of this Group :shock: :shock: :shock:

RSR

Post by RSR »

about p-27
@ram1999 Too harsh. Is it not ?
I wish the MA well and am glad that they have announced the awardees for the previous two years also, as suggested by some of our erudite members.
They could have included at least one lady vocalist .
-
May I suggest that the concerts are streamed too for rasikas living abroad, ? and even the audience , telecast?
-
Pandemic fourth wave is just around the corner, it seems according to WHO officials and the season is full six months away .
-
No. Not cynical ..just facing the reality.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The choice of Sangita kalanidhi by Music Academy is always prone to criticism.Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan has been given the title for 2020.Madam Sowmya was given in 2019.Logically Neyveli Santhanagopalan should have got ahead.
But these things happen.Sri T V Gopalakrishnan was decorated a few years back but was past prime.There are many such instances.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

ram1999 wrote: 24 May 2022, 10:51 The SK thread has been hijacked as usual, thanks to the cynicism of the members of this Group :shock: :shock: :shock:
As I mentioned, it is just one of the many awards to be given by sabhas. In fact, it is the only one that is really news grabbing! While it continues to be given such importance, it will also attract enthusiasm both negative and positive.

RSR

Post by RSR »

in continuatiion of p-14
================
Easily readable version of Thamizh speech by Kalaignyar KaruNaNidhi in Music Academy 1976.
https://sites.google.com/view/thamizhil ... yar-speech
===
(English translation has already been given at p-14)
some important excerpts now.
"அத்நாளில்‌ திரைப்படங்களிலேகூடக்‌ கர்நாட: இசைப்பாடல்‌
கள்தான்‌ இடம்‌ பெற்றிருந்தன. படங்களிலும்‌, நாடகங்களிலும்‌-
நடித்தவர்கள்‌ நமது மரபுவழி இசைக்கே மதிப்பளித்துவந்தனர்‌.
ஆனால்‌ இன்று திரைப்படம்‌, நாடகம்‌, இசை நிகழ்ச்சிபோன்ற.
ஆயிரக்கணக்கான மக்களைக்‌ கவர்கின்ற இடங்களில்‌ மரீபுவழி
இசை மங்கிபோய்‌, பேய்‌ இசை-தாய்‌ இசை-பேோல்‌ தலையில்‌தூக்கிவைக்கப்பெற்றுக்‌ கொண்டாடப்படுகின்ற கொடுமையைத்‌தான்‌ காணமுடிகிறது. மணமல்லியும்‌, முல்லையும்‌, மருக்கொழுந்தும்‌,ரோஜாவும்‌ சேர்த்துக்கட்டியமாலை தேவையில்லையென ஒதுக்கி விட்டுக்‌ கனகாம்பரப்பூவைக்‌ காகிதத்திலே செய்து மாலையாக்கி அணிந்து கொள்கிற காலமன்றோ இன்று நடக்கிறது.!
அந்தக்‌ காகிதக்‌ கனகாம்பரம்‌, இன்னும்‌ சில நாட்களில்‌:
மணமக்கள்‌ மாற்றிக்கொள்கிற மாலையாகவும்‌ வத்துவிடக்கூடுமோ
ள்ன்றுதான்‌ நான்‌ அஞ்சுகிறேன்‌!

*கிளாசிகல்‌ மியூசிக்‌? என்கிற மரபுவழி இசைக்கு நம்‌ நாட்டில்‌.
தான்‌ சோதனை ஏற்பட்டுள்ளது என்று சொல்லிட இயலாது. மேல்‌-
தாடுகளும்‌ இந்த சோதனையைச்‌ சந்தித்துவருகின்றன. ஜாஸ்‌.
மியூசிக்‌, பாப்மியூசிக்‌ முதலான புதியமுறைகளின்‌ செல்வாக்குப்‌
பெருகிப்‌ பண்டைய இசைமுறையின்‌ வலிவு, அங்கேயும்‌ குன்றி
வருகிறது. ஏற்கெனவே வடக்கேயிருந்து வந்த மெல்லிசை,
தமது நல்லிசையைத்‌ தரக்குவதுபோதாதென்று வெளிநாட்டி
லிருந்தும்‌ அத்தகைய தாக்குதல்‌ நமது தொன்மைமிகு இசை
அரண்‌ மீது தடைபெறத்‌ தொடங்கியுள்ளது. நமது முன்னோர்‌
க்‌ ல்‌ தகர்ந்துவிடக்‌...அல்ல எனினும்‌,தாமும்‌ மரபு கெடாத முறையில்‌ காலத்திற்கேற்ற புதுமைகளை உருவாக்கித்‌ தாக்குதல்களுக்கு ஈடுகொடுத்து நிலைபெற்று நிற்க முனைந்‌.திடவேண்டும்‌. அதற்குள்ள வழிகளில்‌ தலையாய ஒன்றுதான்‌.நமது மரபு வழி இசையை, புரியும்‌ மொழியிலே வழங்கிடவேண்‌டும்‌ என்பதாகும்‌. கர்‌. நாடக இசையின்‌ ஆழமான-அகன்ற தன்மையில்‌ ஈடுபட்டு ரசிகராவது ஒரு சிரமம்‌, அத்துடன்‌ என்ன பொருள்‌பற்றிப்‌ பாடுகிறார்கள்‌ என்பதைப்புரியாமல்‌ தவிப்பது ' மற்றொரு.சிரமம்‌! இந்த இரண்டாவது சிரமத்தைக்‌ குறைத்துவிட்டால்‌ மு.தல்‌.சிரமத்தைப்‌ பொருட்படுத்தாமலே கர்நாடக இசை காலத்தால்‌.“வல்ல முடியாத பேரரணாக உயர்த்து நிற்கும்‌,

*கல்விக்கூடங்களில்‌ தொடக்க வகுப்பிலிருந்து கல்லூரிக்‌ கல்விமுடியும்‌ வரையில்‌ இசைப்பயிற்சியை எல்லா மாணவர்களுக்கும்‌ கட்டாயப்பாடமாகவே ஆக்கலாம்‌?? எனும்‌ ஒரு சிறந்த கருத்தை வெளியிட்டுள்ள இசைமேதை திருமதி எம்‌. எஸ்‌. சுப்புலட்சுமி அவர்‌கள்‌ “இதனால்‌ எல்லோருமே மேடை ஏறிப்‌ பாடவேண்டுமென்பதில்லை! இப்போது கணிதம்‌ படிப்பவர்‌ எல்லோருமே ராமாநுஜமாகவும்‌, விஞ்ஞானம்‌ படிக்கிற எல்லோருமே சி.வி, ராமனாகவும்‌ ஆகிவிடுகிறார்களா என்ன? அதேபோல ஒவ்வொரு துறைப்‌ பயிற்சியால்‌ அவரவருக்கும்‌ உள்ளூர ஒரு “ஆன்மீக” மலர்ச்சியை அளிக்‌கும்‌?2 என்று குறிப்பிடுதிறார்கள்‌. அம்மையார்‌ அவர்களின்‌ இந்தச்‌சீரிய யோசனை பொதுவாக வரவேற்கத்‌ தக்கதாகும்‌. அவர்கள்‌ குறிப்பிடுகிற “ஆன்மீக மலர்ச்சி'யை, நான்‌ அமைதி உணச்ச்சி?என்று எடுத்துக்கொள்கிறேன்‌.

======

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

hnbhagavan wrote: 23 May 2022, 17:07 Seems to be an unjust statement by nAdopAsaka.It is true that LGJ pioneered the art of playing Violin and had investigated the nuances of Carnatic Music.
But nonetheless the Lalgudi Siblings have grown from strength to strength and i have heard their concerts in tandem since 1986.
Music Academy atoned their failure by conferring Life time award on LGJ .
LGJ buried the earlier bitterness and accepted the one time award.
LGJ was given award some time in late 80s or early 90s. The street message is he was not happy as he was given bit later than Prof TNK or some one else after that. IT is wrong to blame academy when they refuse award

With the risk of repetition MDR who lived upto 61 and Somu who lived upto 70 also may have got it if they had lived another 5 years. Team - we should have no complaints on MDR, Somu or LGJ not given SK,these 3 not given sk comes up too often , let us not blame academy.

The great vidwan Palakkad Raghu who was born in 1928 got Padma Shri in 1985 , but only 22 years later 2007 sangeetha kalanidhi, but he was gracious to accept the award, hats off to mrudanga mahavidwan

Some who are anti establishment in the past and present are not given awards for sure. Certainly the infamous incident few years back gave few sure kalanidhis a chance to not to have award , to that extent Neyveli, Bhaktha and Lalgudi Siblings got it few years earlier.

The only SK that was rightfully not given is the great TRS , he was given Sangeetha kala acharya in 2002. IF there is 15 cherry picked SKs among all SKs i, rajeshnat will pick TRS in that. Unfortunately no lobby for the great TRS for SK only SKA in 2002. Sangeetha Kalanidhi is permanently one notch poor as TRS was not awarded, considering that TRS mama lived upto 83/84 years

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

You mean, it's gracious to accept Academy seeming like they hope people die before they have to give award? Yes, the academy can be blamed for not recognising the geniuses much earlier in life. Were those people not great in their fifties? Never mind "gracious!"

Even MA itself seems to have changed somewhat in this respect, which is good.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Given the present conditions and if Music Academy continues the present pattern,Vijaya Siva a great scholar Musician and TM Krishna will not be designated Sangitakalanidhi.Both musicians are not performing in the academy since a few years.

nAdopAsaka

Post by nAdopAsaka »

I do not listen to any of these artists because they have any awards affixed to their resumes or because I am told they have such awards.

For me the issue is not whether any other artists (whose names are now being noted) are claiming to be equally disgruntled or aggrieved at not being so awarded.

It is also not correct to characterize the non-award as somehow LGJ's fault and responsibility. As if his childish "petulant" response to its being delayed is the reason for the non-award. After all, LGJ accompanied without any discord many of the awardees on the kutcheri stage for so many years.

No !..a mere word of the street is not sufficient to reach such a conclusion that absolves the academy.

Here is another example of an "award", also emblematic of a powerful "establishment", that seeks conformity OR ELSE !

The Nobel committee, an "august" body, professing to be the arbiter and judge of immortal merit, held back almost 50 years before awarding S. CandraSEkhar, the Indian astrophysicist, his richly deserved honor.

Several of his students (and many others influenced by his important work) who were awarded the Nobel prize in the decades before he got it were so severely embarassed that they ultimately forced the committee to change its obstinate position.

This is not the word on the street, it is fact.

It is also fact that the Nobel committee awarded S. CandraSEkhar the Nobel prize, not some consolation life-time achievement atonement award.

Claiming that the recent award is generic for the "family" reeks again of this atonement and the attendant guilt.

Claiming that it is genuine for the students "independent" achievements underscores the marginalization of this special guru.

I believe Carnatic music in particular , is a metaphor for knowing truth = shruti and knowing/confronting un-truth = apa-shruti.

Our most revered vAggeyakAras, reveal this realization again and again, in both their words and their music.

I appreciate rajeshnat laying out the case for the "establishment", conformity to whose doctrine controls the livelihood of many of these artists. I believe this control leads to corruption.

I appreciate NickH thoughtful responses including on leaving a family to decide the worth of its "name" and "legacy".

To me, however, the inescapable untruth = apa-shruti, the jarring dissonance, is the acceptance of an award by students of the violin doyen himself deemed unfit for this same award.

RSR

Post by RSR »

p-35
It is one thing to suggest names worthy of the award ( by any organization) but entirely different thing to criticize the awardee by name. - again- by any organization. We should tread carefully there. Are we not hurting feelings?...And what is 'TRUTH' ? Who knows? Even an 'untruth' is allowed if it is meant well. according to ThirukkuraL. Are there not controversies to this day , not from atheistic camp, but from believers, about Raama's ethics- Vaali vadham, asking Sita to undergo Agni pariksha, banishing Sita to forest, ? Is not the Mahaabaaratham replete with so many deceptions by KrishNa to help the Paandavaas? Is not vaamana avathaaram episode , a case of deceiving Mahaabali...a very noble and valiant emperor?..There are more important things than 'Truth as perceived by anyone. The Ends decide the issue.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

nAdopAsaka wrote: 28 May 2022, 07:42 I do not listen to any of these artists because they have any awards affixed to their resumes or because I am told they have such awards. ... ... ...
I very much appreciate the clear thinking in your entire post. So many clear points!

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

RSR wrote: 28 May 2022, 10:20 p-35
It is one thing to suggest names worthy of the award ( by any organization) but entirely different thing to criticize the awardee by name. - again- by any organization. We should tread carefully there. Are we not hurting feelings?...And what is 'TRUTH' ? Who knows? Even an 'untruth' is allowed if it is meant well. according to ThirukkuraL. Are there not controversies to this day , not from atheistic camp, but from believers, about Raama's ethics- Vaali vadham, asking Sita to undergo Agni pariksha, banishing Sita to forest, ? Is not the Mahaabaaratham replete with so many deceptions by KrishNa to help the Paandavaas? Is not vaamana avathaaram episode , a case of deceiving Mahaabali...a very noble and valiant emperor?..There are more important things than 'Truth as perceived by anyone. The Ends decide the issue.
I had written that this thread was hijacked by cynicism.
It is now crashed by cynicism :lol: :lol:

RSR

Post by RSR »

It has not crashed. It is enough if post number is mentioned. Saves space and labour.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Our annual ritual
A truly wish festival
Turning to whip festival
A strange annual ritual

Making it seem like a holy grail
Which means the award is from
An august assembly, but wait--
My choice was not theirs--so,
Pox on them! they are the pits!
Foxy they are, mark my words!

Our 'so-called' encouragement
Takes a back seat--making those
Who deserve, haven't been lucky,
More disappointed? This is how
We encourage the arts? Sad indeed

How about focusing on other awards
And writing posts about them too?
Make the artistes feel proud and happy?
Nowhere can all our meritorious artistes
All win this year, may be in the next?
Awards are limited, talents abound

Finally, merit is rewarded--if not now, later
if not at all, a shame, but merit stays no matter...

sankark

Post by sankark »

The issue is with "those" that think SK/Nobel etc. are objective measures of those that are "recognized so"s worth/contribution. Or Pulitzer or Booker or PadmaXXX/SahityaAcademy/etc. Once one realizes that any such "award" is nothing but a decision by a group of people with their own logic/perspective/prejudice/vested interests to spin a narrative (and may be malice, with forethought even), then it stops being such a thing to cause any reaction. Nobel atleast has a sizeable pecuniary benefit, that would help in the "iham".

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

arasi wrote: 28 May 2022, 23:05 Awards are limited, talents abound
Yes, a hundred times, yes!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasiji,
Excellent point.
" Nowhere can all our meritorious artistes
All win this year, may be in the next?
Awards are limited, talents abound. "
Well said.
The only question how many years? All of us are getting old every year.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanjavooran :)
Yes, we are all getting older*, rasikAs and the musicians
The younger ones will take to music, discuss awards
Dispute them, thus the world will go on with nothing lost
When good music and rasikAs continue to thrive :)

* but if anyone says you are old, you can say 'older', pointing at me :)

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Thinking about deserving artists that have gone unrecognized, I am reminded of violin Chowdiah's words about may many great artists languishing in the country side and of Thomas Gray's "Elegy written in the country Church Yard"-"Full many a gem of purest ray serene the dark unfathomed caves of oceans bear-----". That is life !

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »