Sutikshna Veeravalli, Mani Krishnaswamy Academy, 27/Mar/2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

Sutikshna Veeravalli, Mani Krishnaswamy Academy, 27/Mar/2022

Post by sankark »

via their FB channel @ https://www.facebook.com/ManiKrishnaswa ... 275645631/

A solid one! with Akash Gururaja (violin) & Nikhil Sathyanathan (mridangam)

arasi

Re: Sutikshna Veeravalli, Mani Krishnaswamy Academy, 27/Mar/2022

Post by arasi »

There is azhutham and bhAva in Sutikshna's singing it seems, as she does her brief AlApana to the rItigauLa varnam. Her layippu (involvement) in music was evident in Ananda naTana prakASam. She sang jAnaki ramaNa with verve. SwarAs were lively.

She has a pliable voice and I wondered if it would be even more effective if her Sruti were slightly lower? I don't know if what I say is relevant. She surely is a promising youngster and the best to her.

The accompanists played well. Nikhil Satyanandan impressed me with his supportive mridangam playing and his stage presence.

A non-musical note about stage appearance: please don't frown on me for this. The simple attire of the vocalist was pleasing. The architectural beauty of the background was soothing (not a man-made set but the real old thing). More frowns for me?? I wish the vidushis (vidwans too, at times) dressed down for the performances. If the background is multi-colored too, they clash with them with their own myriad flashy colors. Then, the jewelry--especially shoulder-long ear ornaments nowadays. When they sing beautifully, they do distract. Am I alone in this? Enough said here. If anyone feels like continuing on this non-musical topic, we could continue this in General Discussions or the Lounge. Sorry for bringingmy gripes here.

The best to Sutikshna (is Veeravalli her sir name or another name?) and to the instrumentalists.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sutikshna appa is Madhavan Veeravalli and amma is Vanitha Veeravalli. Sutikshna is based out of chicago and she is a long term student of Suryaprakash. This is the first time i am hearing her for nearly 90 mins. Sutikshna has lovely sowkhyam and i particularly liked in this concert the stormbodhi main krithi kAna Kann kodi vendum that certainly shows the ganakaladhara school with flashes like ga ma gA ma gi ra ga ma ... MAnikkam . Also her last slokham of shanmughapriya +kapi ending with a very rare udarit-taLLAmal aruL kaNNA - kapi - sundararaja was very impressive and was lovely rendition centered on sowkhyam. Best wishes to Sutikshna , Akash Gururaja (violin) & Nikhil Sathyanathan (mridangam), looks all of them are next generation based out of USA.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thank you for letting us know. I am proud of her and am happy to know that she is Surya's (well, R. Suryaprakash's) student. Once again, my best to her and also to the instrumentalists. Who are their teachers?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 01:48 Once again, my best to her and also to the instrumentalists. Who are their teachers?
Googled and i could not find the gurus of Akash Gururaja (violin) & Nikhil Sathyanathan (mridangam). Let some one who knows can post and clarify here

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQKGkMs97H4

Akash Gururaja - Violin
(Disciple Of Delhi Sri P.Sunderrajan)

Nikhil Sathyanathan (IL) - Mrudangan
(Disciple Of Kalaimamani Guruvayur Sri Dorai)