vande mataram ambikam ragamalika by TVR - Identity ragams

Rāga related discussions
KKishore

vande mataram ambikam ragamalika by TVR - Identity ragams

Post by KKishore »

I came across the vande matram ambikam slokam- Ragamalika in below
https://youtu.be/BAzARKATCTA
Rendition by Sangeeta Kalanidhi Trichur V Ramachandran in 1981 .
It starts@13:10 min and ends at 26:30 in above link.
Can someone identify the ragams involved (I guess 4 ragams each sung for 3min more or less) .
Thx

Sachi_R

Re: vande mataram ambikam ragamalika by TVR - Identity ragams

Post by Sachi_R »

1.Simhendramadhyama
2.Valachi
3.Revati
4.Kapi

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

Thank you. I thought 3rd one is manoranjani as it appears in sloka itself though not sure.
Anyway thx again.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VandE Mataram - dharmavati (not simmhendra madhyamam) +
Kalyani gaminiya kalpalathika - valaci +
vEdanta prathipaadhya - Revati +
Sreechakraangita - Kapi -composer and vaggeyakkara unknown

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

Thx for reply. Shloka seems to be written by Sri Tandalam SankaraNarayana Sastry from below link here in forum. Composed initially to sing in kalyani but I guess rendered as ragamalika by different vocalists as per their liking.

viewtopic.php?p=370203&sid=5ec406e1e670 ... e2#p370203

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Yes, Rajesh... It is Dharmavati... My mistake. Higher Dha.

The shloka is found in Sri Bala Stotram 1. Composer not known.
GNB used to sing this, too.

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

Sachi_R wrote: ↑18 May 2022, 10:17 The shloka is found in Sri Bala Stotram 1. Composer not known.
GNB used to sing this, too.
As posted above from the link on poet( Sri Tandalam SankaraNarayana Sastry) details I also found out that his daughter was a very noble soul named "Andavan Pichai" who had also wrote & composed many songs setting them to tune in Karnatik ragas..This forum itself has a page in vaggeyakarars for her.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

KKishore wrote: ↑18 May 2022, 13:18

As posted above from the link on poet( Sri Tandalam SankaraNarayana Sastry) details I also found out that his daughter was a very noble soul named "Andavan Pichai" who had also wrote & composed many songs setting them to tune in Karnatik ragas..This forum itself has a page in vaggeyakarars for her.
I dont think Tandalam SankaraNarayana Sastry and Andavan pichai are related. Did i miss that .
Of course kamakshi Kuppuswamy is the daughter of Andavan Pichai who has tuned . Kamakshi Kuppuswamy has spent sufficient time in delhi with TK Jayarama Iyer and also V V Sadagopan.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In future i am going to state it as
VandE maataram ambikam Bhagavathim - ragamalika - Tandalam SankaraNarayana Sastry tuned by Kamakshi Kuppuswamy

What a masterpiece slokham is this . I just searched this in my forum with my id , i have atleast made 10 plus postings of this slokham taken by so many artists.Let me pay my profound pranams and share the link by the earliest singer who sang this the one and only great GNB, who has sang this for 20 mins. GNB defines ragamalika slokham with such intensity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vloRZSF1VCM

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

rajeshnat wrote: ↑18 May 2022, 18:03 I dont think Tandalam SankaraNarayana Sastry and Andavan pichai are related. Did i miss that .
Of course kamakshi Kuppuswamy is the daughter of Andavan Pichai who has tuned . Kamakshi Kuppuswamy has spent sufficient time in delhi with TK Jayarama Iyer and also V V Sadagopan.
I read about the Andavan Pitchai/Pichi ammal from 2 web sources and both say she is indeed the daughter of Tandalam(birthplace of one of the Kanchi seers too) SankaraNaratana Sastry who was a lawyer as well as scholar in tamil,Telugu,sanskrit at his time wrote this.
One web source https://www.nalinivinayak.com/mataji-andavan-pichai
There was also one YouTube video talk by one Smt Chitra Murthy on Andavan Pitchai life history & contribution I listened where she stated too. I was surprised & moved deeply by how great Amma was having composed many songs,sholakas to her credit. infact a popular Lord Murugan song "Ullam Uruguthayya made famous by film singer/Murugan devotee TMS (she wrote itoriginally as Ullam Uruguthada having a vision of Muruga as her child/vatsalya bhava but TMS changed it slightly) . TMS later on credited the song to her as he himself was unaware of it for long but realised only from a Chennai temple inscription.
She had also written a Bilahari raga song in praise of Thyagaraja Swami as well in addition to her other works some of which are available as Karnatik collection,some pada varnams too for dance.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Good to know! How many God-gifted lady composers in our midst! πŸ™

arasi

Post by arasi »

kkishore,
Thank you for your posting the website of Andavan Pichi. Her grand daughter singing with her as a child, and now, singing her songs as an adult so sweetly. She and her mother are to be appreciated for all that they are doing. I hadn't realized how prolific Andavan Pichi was.

Rajesh,
Nor did I know about her father. A SlOkam by him I never tire of listening to.

My connection with her was through her daughter-in-law Lakshmi--Dr. Ganapathi's wife. She and her sister were seniors at school. Their father was an official in the bank and my father, junior to him, had died young and the family treated me as if I was part of theirs. I was at their wedding the whole time. I am trying to recall seeing Andavan Pichi then. I don't. May be, I was having too much fun at the wedding with friends...

I left Chennai and heard at some point about Andavan Pichi from my mother. Years later, when I was working in Madurai, Dr. Ganapathi came to work there too and we connected again. His parents were visiting and I saw Andavan Pichi sitting on the floor in her homespun red cotton saree and as ornaments, had nothing but a large kumkum and her yellow threaded mAngalyam.
She didn't say much, but she didn't have to. Her face was full of grace and a faint smile on it. During a few visits when they were there, I saw her more. She spoke gently and asked me to sing. I was happy to be in her proximity and feel the warmth that she radiated.

Another composer, Ambujam Krishna, on hearing me speak about her being in Madurai, wanted me to take her along to meet her. I did. They conversed. I wish I had listened to what they spoke about. The rest of us were carrying on a conversation away from them. Was it also because we wanted them to have their own conversation??
AK was moved by that visit...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sachi,
The recollections continue in Bengaluru. In the late nineties, someone I knew, a sanskrit professor, a friend of a dear friend had invited us to come listen to Andavan Pichi Music Circle sing at her place. They had traveled from Chennai. It was some experience. I am not sure if her daughter was there. We left soon after since the hosts lived all the way away in Hebbal and we had to hurry home.

With your rich and enlightened experience with the music scene in Karnataka, you surely have been in the presence of composer/musicians. Please share your memories with us...

Oh, in the eighties, CMANA in one of its early issues had a special on female composers. Again, two people you know--Sujatha Vijayaraghavan and I were asked to write an essay about Ambujam Krishna and I wrote a short one about Andavan Pichi as well. That reminds me. Someone from the family resided in the US. Niece of Andavan Pichi?

I call her Andavan Pichi because that's what we knew her as. Even musicwise, she was a pichi (mad about) Andavan. Well, she's also a pichai (gift) from Andavan to us. I don't know which name the family prefers...

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

arasi wrote: ↑22 May 2022, 04:27 kkishore,
Thank you for your posting the website of Andavan Pichi. Her grand daughter singing with her as a child, and now, singing her songs as an adult so sweetly. She and her mother are to be appreciated for all that they are doing. I hadn't realized how prolific Andavan Pichi was.
I have put some links inviewtopic.php?p=376337#p376337 here if someone wants to know more on her life history/other stuff.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

KKishore wrote: ↑22 May 2022, 12:02 I have put some links inviewtopic.php?p=376337#p376337 here if someone wants to know more on her life history/other stuff.
If any more discussions about Andavan Pichai or Andavan picci take it in above thread.