VIDUSHI AND GURU SMT. AMBUJAM VEDANTHAM

Remembering musicians of the recent past
arasi

VIDUSHI AND GURU SMT. AMBUJAM VEDANTHAM

Post by arasi »

I am saddened to say that Smt. Ambujam Vedantham, a well-known guru in Trichy passed away on the 22nd after ailing for sometime. She was one of those women who was so focused in learning music from a tender age, who lived a life steeped in it--a tough feat, being a home-maker of old times. Early marriage, responsibilities, children to bring up. But she was resolute in making music her business. Learning all the time, not letting her focus fade away. She started singing on AIR, Tirunelveli, went on to produce music programs there. Her mother had a lovely voice but in her times, her musical talent meant nothing. She encouraged her daughter and that helped the offspring in her determinationh to be a musician.

Ambujam's family moved to Tiruchi about thirty years ago and she had a lot of students who got a guru who would spend hours on teaching, grooming them to perform on stage. It was almost a mission for her.

She produced many CDs of her students singing Trinity kritis and more. She was a composer herself and they have sung her works also. I am still steeped in memories. She was my sister-in-law. Krishnan's sister.

She was a regular during Chennai music festivals in giving demos and bringing her students to perform with her. NGS and Vaggeyakara Trust invited her often. Being away from India, I do not know all her achievements in detail.

I do hope her talented students will post and give more information about their guru. One outstanding student of hers is Srirangam Dr. Venkatanagarajan who used to be a member here. Others too?

rajeshnat

Re: VIDUSHI AND GURU SMT. AMBUJAM VEDANTHAM

Post by rajeshnat »

Sorry to hear @Arasi and many students like Srirangam Venkatanagarajan. She has composed lot of varnams too , there is one list i found in. youtube starting with hamsadhwani of the diety of Tirunelveli .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrVyRlW ... fdChIO9-dK

Small article with her photo.
https://www.deccanchronicle.com/current ... oured.html

The city of Trichy must have lost a great teacher. Om shanthi.

RSR

Post by RSR »

I am still steeped in memories.
She was my sister-in-law.
Krishnan's sister.
Madam,
Condolences

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very sorry, Arasi.

Condolences to all her family, students and friends.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

My deepest condolences to her disciples and family members. Ohm shanthi.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

All my condolences, Arasi..

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Deep condolences! She has indeed produced an illustrious disciple in Dr Venkat Nagarajan.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

arasi wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 09:10 I am saddened to say that Smt. Ambujam Vedantham, a well-known guru in Trichy passed away on the 22nd after ailing for sometime. She was one of those women who was so focused in learning music from a tender age, who lived a life steeped in it--a tough feat, being a home-maker of old times. Early marriage, responsibilities, children to bring up. But she was resolute in making music her business. Learning all the time, not letting her focus fade away. She started singing on AIR, Tirunelveli, went on to produce music programs there. Her mother had a lovely voice but in her times, her musical talent meant nothing. She encouraged her daughter and that helped the offspring in her determinationh to be a musician.

Ambujam's family moved to Tiruchi about thirty years ago and she had a lot of students who got a guru who would spend hours on teaching, grooming them to perform on stage. It was almost a mission for her.

She produced many CDs of her students singing Trinity kritis and more. She was a composer herself and they have sung her works also. I am still steeped in memories. She was my sister-in-law. Krishnan's sister.

She was a regular during Chennai music festivals in giving demos and bringing her students to perform with her. NGS and Vaggeyakara Trust invited her often. Being away from India, I do not know all her achievements in detail.

I do hope her talented students will post and give more information about their guru. One outstanding student of hers is Srirangam Dr. Venkatanagarajan who used to be a member here. Others too?
Heartfelt Condolences Arasi ji. Had known about her but was not aware she is your sister in law. In addition to her singing talents and penchant for teaching, it is my understanding that she was a good composer too.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, Nadhasudha.
Yes, as have said, she was also a composer. Her students have sung her creations in concerts and on CDs. I wish they would join in and add more substance with examples and clips in the Vaggeyakara section.