Dinanath Mangeshkar singing a Tyagaraja song

Classical Music of North India
Lakshman

Dinanath Mangeshkar singing a Tyagaraja song

Post by Lakshman »

Some of you may have heard Lata Mangeshkar singing two Annamacharya songs.
Here is her father singing nannu brOvanIkinta by Tyagaraja.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHUlBjDuJCs

thenpaanan

Re: Dinanath Mangeshkar singing a Tyagaraja song

Post by thenpaanan »

Lakshman wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 02:16 Some of you may have heard Lata Mangeshkar singing two Annamacharya songs.
Here is her father singing nannu brOvanIkinta by Tyagaraja.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHUlBjDuJCs
Thanks for posting. Very interesting treatment of a Tyagaraja kriti, and I can draw some similarities and differences. On the similarities, the speed of the rendering seems very similar to how Carnatic vidwans would have delivered it. Perhaps this is a consequence of the limited play time on the records -- they have to speed up to include everything they want to include. The other similarity is the discrete notes that are on offer -- much less use of gamakam than today and more brika-laden, but that seems to be the norm of those times even for Carnatic renderings. The singer's voice and note clarity at high speed is quite virtuosic. On the differences, the note handling is somewhat different, but more obvious is the use of taans and long-run note sequences as you can hear towards the end of the rendering. I've rarely heard that in Carnatic renderings.

It is also unusual to hear a Carnatic kriti being sung with a harmonium and table accompaniment, not a bad thing at all.

I have a question -- the attached visual shows the name of a drama. Was it perhaps used for a stage production? If so, I wonder what language the drama was in.

-T

arasi

Post by arasi »

That is something! Thank you, Lakshman...:)

Thenpaanan,
I would say the language of the drama would have been Marathi. Interesting. Didn't realize that as abhangs found a place in bhajanais in TN, they had once (even now??) Tyagaraja kritis sung in them? May be not. Purandara Dasa and other Dasas, yes, because of the influence of nearby Karnataka.
This was a surprise...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

enta nErcina in sAvEri was sung in Bhajans. It is given is Goplakrishna bhagavatar's book. gItArtamu also I have heard sung.