Veena Virtuoso Emani Sankara Sastry

Carnatic Musicians
isramesh

Post by isramesh »

I would like to start a topic on Sri Emani Sankara Sastry, who is one of the foremost vidwans of Veena who elevated the beautiful instrument to the level it enjoys now. I am a diehard fan of his veena and I recommend all to listen to some of his concerts which are available on Sangeethapriya web site. Some time back one of the famous critics of music has listed his favorite things to listen - unfortunately I did not remember the name of the critic or the web page. The list is some thing like items "one must listen to" and I remember only two items from it 1. Bhavayami Raghuramam by MS amma and 2. Veena when played by Emani. This ofcourse is not to degrade the others but the great instrument literally sings and hums in the hands of Sri Emani. I suggest one should listen to his Geetharthamu (Surati, Thyagaraja). I listened to this item of his in a cassette long back and I was totally bowled out by this piece. I treasured the cassette like a jewel. I can say one can feel the meaning of the song just by listening to it being played by Sri Emani.
I welcome the other members to join me in expressing their views on him. Thanks.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramesh,

I agree with you entirely. He was an awesome vidvAn - he did not play his instrument. He made the vINA sing. One of his illustrious disciples was Sri Chittibabu, right? I remember an awesome kalyANI!

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

Yes, Sri Chittibabu is the disciple of Sri Emani. What a guru and sishya. In fact Sri Emani is a Mahamahopadhyaya means he is teacher to more than 100 students in the field.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Emani and MSGopalakrishnan made a great combination . Their swara vinyasa were superlative,
something out of this world. I still savour their Hemavathi (Sri Kanthimatim) during Ramanavami
festival at Fort High School some 30 years back. Emani's style was pure classical.
Unfortunately there appears none to play in this bani currently.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Emani has given a tape with Jagadanandakaraka, playing the Sangathi with Shatshruthi dhaivatam, which MS would sing. It is a rare pathaantaram worth preserving. His style was inimitable and creatively rich. Tanam by Emani was in the style which was most correct.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I've always found a very serene quality in Emani's music. Here are some nice RTP's: http://www.sangeethamshare.org/sripathy ... sts/Emani/

The Vagadeeshwari is an all-time favourite of mine.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

'Serene' is the most apt word to describe the music as well as the personality of Sri Emani. Though I was not fortunate enough to attend any of his concerts, I saw him once on the TV - on the good old DD, when the Television has not become so commercial. It was great pleasure watching him playing the Veena, how affectionately he handles the veena, the plucking, holding, everything reflects his deep devotion and affection towards the celestial instrument. That must be the reason behind the great quality of his music. I remember reading about his final journey. I dont remember the date or the year, but it was just after he had received a samman by way of 'Swarnabhishekam' at Guntur by his disciples and fans (can we say devotees) including Sri Chittibabu. A day or two after this, he went to Chennai by train. He was sleeping on a berth and kept his Veena on another berth. During the sleep he placed on of his hands on the Veena and passed away like that in the same pose.The train reached Chennai and it seems Sri Chittibabu went to the Railway station to receive him. On seeing this, Sri Chittibabu burst into tears. Lets pay our homage to the great soul.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

He was indeed a rare Vainika - to whom the Veena yielded in every aspect. His sense of Laya, Bhava and balance were all supreme. A pioneer in his own rights - he was an early explorer into the realm of symphonic ideas within Carnatic Raagas. I still remember his Kalyani where he expertly uses the symmetries in strings - the Ga and Ma of the second string is right behind the Dha and Ni - he uses a parallel playing technique which almost emotes the sound of bells in a gentle breeze. He music was mature, vibrant and highly creative. Maintaining a balance between these three aspects demands greatest musical sensitivity.

Many top Vainikas today aspire to take the Veena across musical boundaries - sadly they all attempt to do so without crossing these boundaries and experiencing other musical forms in their own well-deserved glory. These top Vainikas of today seem to be calling out from the banks of a river to those on the other side to join them - saying their side is greener. This philosophy is bound to fail. But, Emani transcended boundaries (without compromising on the core Carnatic identity) and took the Veena into the focus of other musical systems.

Pioneers are rare and Emani was undeniably a great one at that.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

I would suggest some scintillating pieces of Sri Emani for the interested - his Chakkani raja margamu & Nada loludai from a Sangeetha record. In it he was accompanied by his daughter Smt Kalyani on another Veena. These two pieces exhibit the great range of veena - from very soft and mellow to very bright and scintillating play. I do not know whether the particular record is available or not. But its a must listen to all Emani fans.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Coolji gave me a concert of Emani with MSG in Jamshedpur IIRC. The main is Karakarapriya. But after that he plays a sublime Mohanam, Rama ninnu nammina, with ragamalika swarams. Scintilating. The Mohanam swarams and MSG's replies are breathtaking!

KarnatikLover

Post by KarnatikLover »

His Raghuvamsasudha is the most 'classical' version of it I have ever heard, without the gimmicks and flashes that everyone else seems to indulge in... Emani gives the raga the respect that a shankarabharanam janya deserves!

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

He has composed and conducted some very good vadya vrinda for AIR. These include Bhramara Vinyas, Aadarsha shikhararohanam, etc. I used to listen them during the 80s from AIR vizag but these days they no more broadcast such things. I request if any one has these items please upload them.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

hoping to make it to madras this year!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

For all of the Great EEMANI'S FANS, There is a face book group in his honour!!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/grou ... 8641084964

I was quite delighted to find it.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

Thank you for the facebook link.

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

It is so wonderful to see a topic on Sri Emani Sankara Sastri Garu who was the elder brother of my revered guru Smt V Saraswati of Hyderabad.
We were in Delhi in the early '60s and I was 10 or 11 years old - I was then learning from Sri Sastry's disciple Sri Satyamurthy. We had the good fortune to go to Sri Sastri's house every Sunday and used to be treated to a couple of hours of divine music - cum - demonstration. He showed us by playing each one, the dasavidha gamakas, he showed all the fine emotions that could be expressed throught he veena - he showed us so many intricate aspects of music that they are too many to enumerate.
But above all, his humility was such that he would, after every unbelievable display of virtuosity, say, with tears in his eyes -" see the capability of this instrument! See what this instrument can do! There is nothing this instrument cannot do" -- etc etc. Always placing the instrument far above himself in importance.
His extremely sensitive handling of finer nuances of various gamakas, using, in conjunction, the modulation of the plucking, caused the music to be so appealing that it tugs your heart every time you hear it, even today.
My pranaams to Sri Emani Sankara Sastri Garu.

mohini

Post by mohini »

Emani Sir was known to be somebody with a heart of gold,like his veena.His mantrapushpam on veena will haunt me forever.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

Thanks Smt Radhika for sharing the wonderful and moving memories of the great maestro.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

coolkarni wrote:http://rasikas.org/forums/post128673.html#p128673

Posted two tracks here.
Paramathmudu
Thankyou very much Cooljimama!!! This is priceless indeed !!!

cpblog

1971 "Parvathi", Mysuru Concert of Vidwan ESS

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas,

Our privilege in inviting you to a "Parvathi", Mysuru concert of
Emani Sankara Sastry---Veena
M.S. Gopalakrishnan-----Violin
Guruvayoor Dorai----Mridangam
on April 10, 1971.
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Re: Veena Virtuoso Emani Sankara Sastry

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

Thank you for the link to the concert. I have some excerpts of this concert which was given on a spool tape by the late Sri.L.Raja Rao, a music rasika of Bangalore.
Unmatched sensitivity and aesthetics in this concert, by both Sri Emani and Sri MSG.
Every time I hear Emani's playing, I get goosebumps, tears in my eyes and a tug at my heart. It is not joy, not sorrow, I can't pinpoint the emotion - then what is it? Is this Gaana rasa? The 10th rasa?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Radhikaji - you are absolutely correct - two vaiNIkas give me the type of experience you describe - (the late) Emani Sri Sankara Sastry - I have only heard recordings of this superb genius, and Smt. Gayatri - I have heard her live - and they both transport me to a place that is impossible to describe, and create a warm and fuzzy feeling that lasts long after one is done listening to them.
Thank you, cpblog for the link!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I feel the same way - Emani's music is just something else... I'm listening to this concert now and the khamAs is really an undescribable experience. Thank you, cpblog, for all these wonderful concerts! Something is also to be said for Parvathi as a concert venue - it seems to bring out the very best in musicians!

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Sri Bilahari,

Only a very discerning Rasika with the keenest of ears and mind could have picked up on a subtlety that "..Something is also to be said for Parvathi as a concert venue - it seems to bring out the very best in musicians!.."

It is true (and it is not ours to toot any of this ), but there was indeed something very different about the atmosphere in "Parvathi" which beckoned one and all, be it a gardener who had seen nature's magnificent best in the royal gardens or whether it was of the rank of an MS 'Amma', herself, who could command the attention of a musical world from the majestic pulpit of a United Nations. Certainly, in no way can that great music magazine Sruthi be ever faulted for printing that "Parvathi' was "...second only to the Mysore Palace in its benevolence to art and artists". While those artists who often attended a Maharaja's durbar might have felt locked in by the etiquette and protocols of being in front of royalty, here in "Parvati" the atmosphere was one of free welcome as in a musical temple of one's own choice.

Even when you consider those times, with its own men of 'iron will' such as a Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer or a T. Sadasivam, you begin to wonder what might have been there in "Parvathi" for such men to feel so relaxed as to want to spend (as in the case of Semmangudi) time and time again in the house and also to invite in many a reputed friend. Many a recorded tape of comments left behind by Lalgudi, MLV and Chowdiah (posted), or going by many a joke told by Balamurli and others , or even the eagerness with which a favorite Governor Dharam Vira or the Kannada thespian Rajkumar would drop by, one can easily attest to the unique warmth and setting that spurred musicians to spontaneously provide expression to the environment and in its rejuvenation perform a notch or two beyond the ordinary.

Possibly, the best evidence of this, may have been provided by MS Amma herself in her 1967 concert. Originally, designed to be a flat out performance for only an hour and a half as decreed by T.Sadasivam, the audience was accordingly informed well before hand not to expect more. But, what followed is considered even till today as a near miracle. Amma went on and on to mesmerize the huge audience to almost twice that time and beyond, and neither from her nor from Sadasivam was there even a single hint of being aware that time was so elapsing. Only Amma, after a while and after being relaxed, when pressed, deigned to answer in her beautiful child like whisper of a voice "well, what could I do? ...you made her (Ambal) look straight at me and I was throughout in her worship and trance...I had no awareness of anybody or anything...".

It is also believed, that on a later occasion when she was asked once by her close admirers as to which of her
performances she remembers as being her best, she named two, one in Bombay and the other as being the one in "Parvathi", Mysore. We however have no evidence of this in terms of any recorded statement from her and we leave it to a
discerning jury out there to arrive at their own verdict.

Along with all of this, however, we believe wholeheartedly that there was something graceful and eminent in the old town of Mysore, itself, under the benevolence of the Wodeyar kings, which was conducive to human dignity in the arts and in matters of administration, which may perhaps be never experienced, again.

A splendid era has truly passed us by.

Best wishes to you, rshankar and to Radhika-Rajanarayan for all your kind comments.

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

cpblog wrote:Sri Bilahari,

Only a very discerning Rasika with the keenest of ears and mind could have picked up on a subtlety that "..Something is also to be said for Parvathi as a concert venue - it seems to bring out the very best in musicians!.."

The highlights of this concert is the Kamas and mayamalawagowla. It just transports you to a different world. The Swaras post the kritis palayed by Sri Emani and Sri MSG will make you dance. And of course the mridangam of Sri Dorai, so subtle and splendid. Perhaps one of the best concerts I have heard.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Cpblog, thank you for that informative post. I am also curious about who typically comprised the audience at Parvati. The compliments dispensed by the audience are few in number but very appropriate and astute.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

Recently I found this website dedicated to Sri Emani Sankara Sastry. http://emanishankarasastry.com/Emani_In.html

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ez2z6td4lvdtxx

Emani speaking about the Veena and concluding a concert with a Vedic Chant.
left the filler of nikhil bannerjis megh which appears in the track , untouched . another work of beauty.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Emani passed away on the same day as the film actor and TN CM MGR and mridangam vidwan T.Ranganathan (brother of Viswa and Bala). Emani was returning from Vijayawada to Madras and died on the train itself. Tamilnadu had closed down because of MGR's death early that morning and I heard that Emani's family had to move heaven and earth to take his body to their home from the Central Station. The date was December 24th 1987. Ranga of course died in the USA and faced no such problem .
Last edited by RaviSri on 09 Feb 2012, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Sorry state of affair. Not heard earlier. Could imagine the plight of mental agony the family had undergone.

Thanjavooran 09 02 2012

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I have to narrate an anecdote that involved me with the Late Emani garu. In 1972,e had visited the USA and for a concert in Philadelphia,Ramnad Raghavan was to accompany him on the Mridngam. He was in Wesleyan in Connecticut and for some reason informed the previous evening i.e. Friday(the concert was on Saturday P.M.). The organisers were frantically looking for a substitute--somebody suggested my name-the Sabha Secretary called me in NY with an anxious Emani standing close to him(I believe his hearing had been impaired a little and he wanted to be able to listen to the conversation so that he can persuade me!). I was taken back and informed the Secretary that I have never played on stage before(apparently the Secretary had heard about my younger brother who is a mridangist and probably figured the acorn does not fall from the tree!! I also said the audience would be immensely served better if Emani played solo w/o any accompaniment!! This was going back and forth and Emani mistakenly thought that I was dragging my feet because I may have been used to playing for Top artistes and that I was feeling beneath my dignity and stature to accompany him!!! Then he finally says plaintively in an almost pleading fashion in Tamil" Sir, Palghat Mani Iyer has also accompanied me many times-- so you need not worry about my standard of playing!!!" I literally cringed and hastened to add that it was the opposite--because greats like PMI have accompanied him I do not want to sully his reputation with my mediocrity . Finally I agreed,borrowed one of the locals' mridangam,went to Philadelphia,played for the Great Vainika(I told him I do not need an avarthanam because I do not want to embarass myself!!) After the concert was over members of the audience were complimentary to Emani and a s a matter of protocol and courtesy mentioned how grateful he was that I agreed to accompany him(I should mention that with some rudimentary Laya Gnanam I managed to play Sarva Laghu with one or two muthaippus(repeated ad nauseum as one wag from the audience playfully remarked!!).
The crowning,humbling but truthful remark came from a Local Musicologist/Musician/Composer/Mridangam player)who was Madurai Mani Iyer's disciple)why the local authorities did not approach him as he was well known in the Community at that time, I do not know. This gentleman approaches Emani and whispers into his ears within earshot of myself in Tamil :Ivaraippoi Engirundu Piduchindu Vandel"(Where did you get this bloke from ?). Emani was stunned by the remark but deftly diverted the subject. Frankly I was not in the least bit hurt because it was true--subsequently this gentleman and myself have been very close friends for the last 4 decades. Truth hurts but somebody has to do the Dirty Job!!!
The Friend is none other than T.N. Bala--a great teacher,composer and humanitarian. I am sure rasikas in North America would have heard about him.
Emani played beautifully--I had heard his Vadya vrindams in AIR--an extraordinary calibre artiste who did not get the accolades that he truly deserved.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

MKR, that is a priceless anecdote!! Thank you for sharing!
Emani Sri Sankara Sastri is way up there on my list of divine vaiNIkas; he was special.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

concert 65-Emani Sankara Sastri with Shri. MS Gopalkrishnan
To day is his Birth day...23-09-2014
Listen at :

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/01 ... me-ii.html
concert details
01-viribONi_ninnE_kOri-VARNAM-bhairavi
02-vAtApi_gaNapatim_bhajEham-hamsadhvani
03-mEru_samAna_dhIra_varadA-mAyAmALavagauL
04-jnAnamosaga_rAdA-pUrvikalyANi
05-brOcEvArevarurA_ninnu-khamAs
09-rAgam_tAnam_pallavi-kharaharapriyA
10-JagadodDharana-KarnatakaKapi

Audio provided by my friend and well wisher Shri. S Nageswaran…
He says that the AUDIO was related to a concert earlier to 1970…
Mridangam support is by T V Gopalakrishnan.

shanks

Post by shanks »

In the past I have listened to the concert of Emani and MSG in 1973 on the Parvati blog
https://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.co ... a%20Sastry

Unfortunately, it cannot be listened to anymore :cry: The section where the tracks are supposed to be present is blank and the link to Soundcloud that probably hosts the tracks are also not functional.

It would be great of Sachi who has written about the concert on the blog or anyone else can restore the concert. I did send an email to cpblog2009@gmail.com about this problem, but I have not received any response. I would be happy to host the tracks on my blog if the files can be shared.

Thanks
Shankar