Position of monitor speakers!

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shankarank

Position of monitor speakers!

Post by shankarank »

Many carnatic venues ( especially the streaming ones - Arkay, Raga Sudha) - I am not sure if they have played with position of monitor speakers. For photogenic ( or videogenic) reasons, or manage the optics as they say nowadays :D , they all have hidden them on the side of the stage or prebuilt them into the hall structure (Arkay?)?

The monitor speaker for either the traditional or the liberated ;) :lol: configuration of artistes , is smack in front of the artistes where adequate feedback can be ensured for lower levels of setting - may be down the stage atop a chair or bench.

They all need to try it. This will reduce feedback issues. The most from violin Mike which is bass enhanced.

I had an email exchange with Sri Bhaskar of Mudra. He said his is a studio and he is aware of the blare of percussion, being one himself, he has limitations.

Nick H

Re: Position of monitor speakers!

Post by Nick H »

There is no single answer, and certainly not a single-speaker single answer. But it is a important topic, for sure.

cheens

Re: Position of monitor speakers!

Post by cheens »

If I remember right, in Arkay CC, FOH speakers are ceiling hung and the monitor is usually a single wedge placed on the floor. The wedge is cut out from the frame in the video broadcast.

If it is placed a bit farther from the stage (to avoid coming in the frame), it does pose a problem. Monitor volume needs to be cranked up and that generates a feedback loop. And a single wedge monitor is a challenge for providing a good monitor mix to keep all artists on the stage happy. But they must have figured that out long back.

I'm an amateur live sound engineer. I do it mainly for bhajans. We use 3 monitors with 2 FOH speakers. Monitors wedges are kept close below the podium with an equalizer in each channel to cut feedback loops. Still, it's a nightmare to get a proper monitor mix, with 4 mics for percussion, 1 harmonium, 1 lead, and 4 backup singers.