Akkarai S Subhalakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
sreecons

Akkarai S Subhalakshmi

Post by sreecons »

I searched but could not find one in Subhalakshmi's name. So thought of starting this.

Mods - Please move this if need be.

A young and extremely talented violinist who is maturing as an artist and growing into a force to be reckoned with. She has amazing control over the instrument, great speed and yet melodious with the right bhavam.

Rasika911

Re: Akkarai S Subhalakshmi

Post by Rasika911 »

Brilliant musician. Definitely one of the best violinists going around today! Love the way she plays with involvement and bhavam. Of course what she plays is very nice to listen to and she sounds great on recordings. I'm definitely a fan :grin:

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I agree. Her technique is good, she has great shruti alignment, and plays with a lot of bhAvam. One of my favourite recordings is her RTP in kIravANi (solo) released by Kalavadhani. There are some great touches in that.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Akkarai S. Subhalakshmi, a child prodigy started giving violin solo and vocal programmes at the tender age of eight. She had her initial two years training at Nadha Brahma Vidyalaya of the late guru V. Janakiraman, New Delhi.

She is now under the guidance of Swara Raga Sudha Violin School run by her father

Akkarai S. Swamynathan. She is not only an expert violinist but also a well recognized vocalist. She is learning vocal music from Padma Bhushan P.S. Narayanaswamy and Chithra Veena N. Ravikiran.

She is a direct B-High grade artist of All India Radio, Chennai. She gives violin accompaniment to eminent artists like Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna, Dr. N. Ramani, Chitra Veena N. Ravikiran, Sriram Gangadharan, N. VijaySiva,Shashank, Bombay Sisters, Nithya Shree Mahadevan,Bombay Jayashree, Priya Sisters, Ranjani and Gayatri and others.

She also gives classical violin programmes all over the country and also in abroad. She has participated in Indo-Russian Cultural exchange programme and excelled in violin recital during her visit to Russia in the year 1996. She has also gone to Japan, Germany, Italy, France, Beharin, United Kingdom and USA for giving violin solo and accompaniment to various Artists. She has accompanied, Flute mastereo Shashank, for Switzerland concert and has travelled USA along with Ms.Kirnavali and Chitraveena Ravikiran for a concert there.

She is also giving Violin duet as well as Vocal duets along with her younger sister Kum. Akkarai S. Swarnalatha as Akkarai Sisters.

The link below is a RTP concert by her.The Raga is varali.

The pallavi is in the following Eight Ragas:

PALLAVI - VARALI -ragamalika in KUNATALAVARALI - REVATHI - SUBHAPANTUVARALI - PANTUVARALI - KAPI - PRATHAPAVARALI - BEHAG .Listen to the performance spell bound.

<Moderator note. Edited since it was thought to be a commercial release>

Coutesy: Katchery Buss-Profile

venkatakailasam

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

courtesy katchery buss is with reg. to profile only and not for the audio.
venkatakailasam

kolenidhi

Post by kolenidhi »

Elder one high on brilliance - younger one, on arrogance.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

May be she is right in expressing about gender bias,
http://www.thehindu.com/features/metrop ... 418176.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

It is becoming perhaps a regular writeup of gender bias which needs to be told. But she is bit ranting on other areas. Her writeup on the hindu dated dec 17,2016

http://www.thehindu.com/society/Notes-f ... 858257.ece

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

During a U.S tour of hers accompanying Kirnavali vocal and J.V on the Mridangam @Columbus, Ohio, almost 12 years back two elderly gentlemen - one the Tanjore Marathi Grundig tape collector, and the other Mr Ranganathan (he is also an avid connoisseur - I think he has contributed to Sruti articles) who was on a visit to the former's home, occupied front seats just to hear Akkarai's varali and then left right after.

Personally I remember her Kambodhi reply to R&G @ Alamelumangapuram, Mandeveli - RamaNa kendram 2002/2003 season IIRC - still - I don't remember how the main artistes sang.

Then Kudire Malika Trivandrum , 2006 January with Gayatri Venkataraghavan! I was there on a visit to my in-laws homes!

She should not lose hope!! As regards male-female equations lot is changing around us - generational change !!

The media space is poisonous and to have a debate there be-rating our past is detrimental to all of us!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pramod Kumar is a phenomenal journalist .Last year i recollect his writings with exhaustive interviews with Sanjay, Saketharaman,KBMK and Brinda Manickavasagan all came in The Indian Express. This year Dec 2019 he has started with another lovely and exhaustive interview . Pranams to Akkarai Swamynathan for his phenomenal idea to make his daughters play violin when he was posted in Delhi.

Best wishes to akkarai sisters . Thank you Pramod - your effort is truly awesome

https://indianexpress.com/article/citie ... BA9vGpPs1U

Sachi_R

The Akkarai Jewels

Post by Sachi_R »

https://youtu.be/5CUpIYpJys4

Akkarai Subhalakshmi & Sornalata in Sindhu Bharavi medley

I don't think we celebrate enough these absolute gems of musicians. I have now watched them live (in auditoria) and in recordings regale the audiences and more so the main performers. Their impeccable technique and mastery of the idiom makes them do everything smilingly.

I have seen both Subhalakshmi and Sornalata elevate TMK's music enormously. Just an example.

Their effort with KBMK in those Thiruppavais was also classic.

Their duets both vocal and violin are a treat.

Enjoy and celebrate these wonderful artistes! Sindhu Bhairavi is most endearing in this medley, very well presented, with fabulous acoustic quality.