Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians

rajeshnat

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

@parivadini Lalitharam
Many inclusive of you have talked a lot with me about Thi Janakiraman. Since I cannot read fast and give up on tamil writing soon , my interest on tamil literature is not even at times taking off. You are too far far away in skills there.

Very recently about few weeks back one of my friend Sriram from US, who i lookup a lot in understanding nuances of film music did send me a small 20 mins snippet link of a small short story written by Thi Janakiraman

The 20 mins snippet of a short story by name Seidhi where the whole short story is a running commentary of a nadaswara vidwan struggle to preserve purity of art and a carnatic music appreciation of a thyagaraja krithi written by Thi Janakiraman. This tamil snippet was read by bharathi bhaskar,Tx to her I could get the richness of both content and presentation .

I am wondering how come Thi Janakiraman wrote with such flow and content, one can almost hear the concert with his short story writing .i personally liked it .All these narrations should be externalized to all the non carnatic listeners who generally have a liking of tamil/films/dramas etc to know the greatness of how deep is Carnatic Music.

I am very glad to know through you that Thi Janakiraman likes ganAkaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer. May be he felt then in 1960s, let the world know about MMI and hence gave this commentary in English. His English narration is great .What a joy to hear anyone speaking about one and only MMI. Just a quick question, if he has written any reviews of any musicians or vaggeyakkaras atleast cherrypick and put it in the respective thread in rasikas, space it once or twice a week please.

Tx to Corona i may just read or hear more of this and get into the world of Thi Janakiraman or a better idea is as soon as the corona is over just like your exemplary MMI/GNB/Somu lecdems possibly dedicate only to Thi Janakiraman a lecdem .YOu can be assisted by VishnuRamprasad helping with the snippets of carnatic music packaged . Narration, Reviews and commentary is still not upto the mark compared to actual musical content of CM. All these emulations of Thi Janakiramans could be big game changers to pull more into CM

Just one final thought whenever you put a link just write atleast few lines on what that is in a short synopsis . Thanks to your above link which is MMI- Introduction and narration by Thi Janakiraman in English.

Over to 22 mins Thi Janakiraman short story "Seidhi" in Tamil narration based on nadaswara vidwans and appreciation of carnatic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7JLZo52E3k

RSR

Post by RSR »

This is a short story in Tamizh by Thi.Janakiraman.
''Ayiram piraikaLukku appaal'. It is a parody on the state of CM in the post-1970 generation. His preference for pre-ARI music and HM is clearly brought out .
https://www.valaitamil.com/aayiram-pira ... _1829.html
Janakiraman's Thamizh cannot be translated into any other language- it has to be read in Thamizh only.
Will it help, if I give a transliteration?
-----------------
In this story, an old typewriter ,oldest in the company talks about its owner Lokanatha Iyer and his tastes in HM and CM of old times.
Then it talks about ARI style of concerts and finally of the post 1970 generation of keyboard music. ( derisively).

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thi.jaa. about Madurai Mani (in Tamil)
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/06/1556-234.html

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pasupathy wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 17:52 Thi.jaa. about Madurai Mani (in Tamil)
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/06/1556-234.html
Thank you pasupathy Sir. THi jaa has written very concisely as a great eulogy . 2 musicians of himalayan stature who died in 60's one GNB and another MMI did not have that much recordings due to absence of technology and to an extent untimely death. Also the last few years of MMI he also had his ailment. I am assuming thi jaa may have even attended MMI concerts when MMI camped in mayavaram due to fear of world war II .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The pallavi tAnam and svaraprastara is of the highest order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63HwwUyRc_0

Don't miss this :

https://youtu.be/63HwwUyRc_0?t=3731 - My god! Where does this music come from??!!! Mani Iyer(s) and MSG!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Superb writing by you to append the brilliant
thi ja.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

my grandmother while recollecting her nostalgic moments ...

she imitated the signature singing style of MMI by singing a sample of - sri raghuvara sugunalaya

i wonder if there is any recording of this krithi by master? i could not find any.

but i got a version by his shysha - TV Shankaranarayanan
https://youtu.be/YqELYN30Kag

pvs

Post by pvs »

Request to all rasikas:
I have a 3 minute recording (one side of disc?) MMI's sukhi evaro upto anupallavi and am looking for the second half. Please help! Thank you.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

While i willfully missed an opportunity to say not hear a legend like Tiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam(TRS), but damn it i was not even born to hear this supernova Madurai Subramanian Highest Iyer (MMI), i got a message saying today in Rama Navami day (Apr 21,2021).

Where did MMI sing this huseni and kedaram combo? Could that be a mylapore rAma navami or malleswaram rAma navami or matunga rAma navami or mayavaram rAma navami. Pointed sarvalaghu ideas making us all believe Hey this is carnatic music and this is celebration Rama navami. The uploader is BaluMMI sir , thanks to him and also VK Viswanathan Sir (@cacm ) who are the primest prime MMI rasikas who have envious record of hearing MMI and took that joy to atleast few generations forward.

RAmA Ninne Followed by Rama Neepai (Swaras) - huseni and KEdaram - Thyagaraja Rama Navami Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOcuP90QCok

As veeyens sir says Let Rama bless all the carnatic musicians from this rama navami day after you hear the one one and only Ganakaladhara
Last edited by rajeshnat on 21 Apr 2021, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Forgot to add then the link of MMI lecdem by Lalitharam and Vishnuramprasad.
Madurai Mani Iyer Lecdem by Lalitharam@Gokhale Sastri Hall on June 17th,2018
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31433&hilit=lecdem

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

pvs wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 06:12 Request to all rasikas:
I have a 3 minute recording (one side of disc?) MMI's sukhi evaro upto anupallavi and am looking for the second half. Please help! Thank you.
Check this . The recording is bit distorted https://youtu.be/cEgkju67DuM?t=451

pvs

Post by pvs »

Thank you, Rajeshnat sincerely. I think I was not clear in my message. I have listened to MMI's Sukhi Evaro many times from many concerts. I was keen on getting the second half of that particular disc recording. I will try to post the part I have soon. that will likely help. Thanks again.

sikhivahana

Post by sikhivahana »

pvs wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 17:29 Thank you, Rajeshnat sincerely. I think I was not clear in my message. I have listened to MMI's Sukhi Evaro many times from many concerts. I was keen on getting the second half of that particular disc recording. I will try to post the part I have soon. that will likely help. Thanks again.
I think the recording being requested here is the Sukhi evaro rendering from a particular EMI record which had a mix of different recordings- starts with Thaye Yasoda, Kapali... then goes to very young MMI recordings of Orajupu, Parimala rangapate, Dunmargachara, then back to an older MMI with Sukhi evvaro, Maaye. This particular Sukhi evvaro “gets done” with Anupallavi. The source recording from where this song was pulled into this kadambam record is not known.

Is the charanam from this pre-recorded Sukhi evaro available at all?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have both sides of this recording recovered from an old spool tape. If anyone is interested I can upload it.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Lakshman Sir, please do upload.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have sent it.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Thank you Lakshman sir.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

1894. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 283
சங்கீத மேதாவி
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2021/07/1894-283.html

Manian

Post by Manian »

Rajeshnat:
Madurai Mani Iyer:

What is different about this genius is , he tried to use “la” instead of harsh “ta” and “ri”. “l” is called lateral in that the air comes through the sides of the tongue in the same place the “t” stops the air (PV α RT formula of thermo dynamics says that when the volume is restricted, the pressure increases, thus the air from the vocal chord is just “stopped” for say about 10 milliseconds. This produces a noise that can be seen in a spectrometer).
The “la” is like a vowel comes out nicely. Also, the “a” with the open neural mouth produces more resonance and that is why it can be heard from a distance compared to “I”,”e”,”o” and “u”. Secondly MMI used the diphthongs – combination of vowels 'ai”,”au”ui” etc., which are not prohibited in Carnatic Music but none before him introduced those sonorous and pleasing sounds. Now, hid MMI innovate on his own and did his own experiments when practicing or did Harikesanallur encourage him? This is not known or documented. However, MMI took the spell bound music one step up without violating the grammar of Carnatic Music.
Professor R. Narasimhan at TIFR, Mumbai had two PhD's EE and Maths. He was always curious and wanted some one to explore the language and music. When, a new PhD one Ramasubramanian (I am told that he was from Presidency college with a Physics BS degree and was quit interested in “Sound” taught one by Kannappa Naiker who had supposedly showed Mr. Ramasubramanian that simple mathematical formulae can replace complex ones. Thus, the student I am told was quite fascinated by it). He also was good at mimicry and can reproduce animal sounds and some instrumental music like vocal Veena and vocal Saxophone. So, with his PhD in Linguistics, he was invited to join TIFR by Prof. Narasimhan. After joining TIFR, Dr, Ramasubramanian also learned vocal music at Bombay. That his how the Music research was started by one scholar. He brought, I am told the first CDC 3600 Computer 32 bit scientific computer (Seymour Cray was the creator) in the World which Dr. Homi Bhbha got for him. Prof. Narasimhan was hired form University of Illinois, Urbana USA by Dr. Homi Bhbha.

Now MMI and music: Dr. Ramasubramanin on his own accord alleged to have told Prof. Narasimhan that Pattern recognition and Pattern matching in mathematical learning can be applied using AI rules to Mimic MMI if possible just like he had done for Tamil Speech Synthesis (Ref. 2nd World Tamil Conference , Chennai : Phonological Grammar of Tamil and it's Application to Speech Synthesis, 1969). I got hold the papers from late Prof. Narasimhan and that is what I was sharing here. Thus, Professor Narasimhan encouraged original research in India.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai MaNi Iyer

sogasu jooda kruthi by Thyagaraja Swami
Kannada GowLa raagam

https://youtu.be/1cppR1IDybk

uploaded by Bala Girish
-------
There are only two kruthis in this raagam by Thyagaraja Swami. ( orajoopu and sogasu ). MMI renderings are very famous.
--------
"
Lord praised by Lord Siva! O Lord with sapphire hued body! O Sacred Lord worshipped by this tyAgarAja!
Is it possible to see anywhere such comeliness as that of Yours?
(a) The shining face with a pair gleaming cheeks;
(b) the feet worshipped by the celestials;
(c) the hands that bestow freedom from fear;
(d) the lovable body that puts to shame the cupid;
(e) the lips resembling the beautiful (red) bimba fruit;
(f) the chest adorned with flowers of vakuLa tree;
(g) the hands that wield arrows and bow kOdaNDa;
(h) the smile;
(i) the curls of hair (falling on forehead); and
(j) the clarity of eyes; -
is it possible to see anywhere such exquisite comeliness?
----------------------------------
http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.co ... -raga.html
========
=========
A blogger's impression here
------
The other day I was listening to a Thyagaraja kriti SOGASU JUDA TARAMA in the raga KANNADA GAULA sung by the great musician Madurai Mani Iyer. The rendering of the song was so scintilating that I instantly fell in love with it. It was just a 7 minute piece and within that short time the musician transported me into a completely new world. What is it about this song and the rendering that captivated me?:

First and foremost is the SAHITYAM, which is in very simple Telugu. ‘SOGASU’ in telugu means Beauty. Thyagaraja, in this song, is glorifying the beauty of Rama….. Besides the captivating beauty of the Lord, nicely brought out in the Sahityam, one is treated with beauty in several dimensions – the stunning simplicity of the language, skillful usage of phrases as he describes Srirama’s face shining with glossy cheeks, His red lips resembling a Bimba fruit, His charming smile, Forelocks beautifully decorating His face etc.

The simplicity of the SAHITYAM is matched every bit by the brilliant rendering of the song by Madurai Mani Iyer. To elaborate on the great maestro’s rendering of the song, Mani Iyer (as he is fondly referred to by his fans) chooses the right tempo for the song (neither too fast nor too slow) laying emphasis at the right words and phrases.

And his ‘swara kalpana’ is excellent as usual, bringing out rich ‘raga bhava’ with each phrase. In particular, watch out for the moment when the artist reaches a crescendo by touching on the Swaras GA & MA in the higher octave.
That is, indeed, a magical moment! It is a double treat for the listeners as Lalgudi Jayaraman, accompanying on violin, matches Mani Iyer phrase for phrase in KALPANA SWARAS and at times even improvised over the vocalist’s efforts.
----------------------------------------
https://csnarasimhan.wordpress.com/2012 ... xperience/

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai MaNi Iyer
concert at Music Academy-1965
============
https://youtu.be/XXRi9EeMRIk
============
upload by Carnatic Connect
============

<quote>
This concert is part of a private archive of about 2000 concerts performed by great maestros from the 1950s to the 1980s. It is proposed to upload the entire archive through this channel. Each concert has been digitally enhanced for maximum listening pleasure.

Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/c/CarnaticCon...

Madurai Mani Iyer - Mayuram Govindaraja Pillai - Vellore Ramabhadran - Alangudi Ramachandran MA 1965

Song List:

01 Vallabha - Begada - Rupakam - Deekshitar 00:00:00
(8 mins)

02 Chandram Bhaja - Asaveri - Chatushra Mathya - Deekshitar 00:08:25
(5 mins)

03 Sahasra kara mandithe - Vachaspati - Adi - Muthiah Bhagavathar 00:13:30
(21 mins)

04 Narada Gana Lola - Athana - Rupakam - Tyagarajar 00:34:08
(12 min)

05 Mohana Rama - Mohanam - Adi - Tyagarajar 00:46:53
(48 mins)

06 Ever Unnaru - Malavashree - Adi - Tyagarajar 01:34:57
(4 mins)

07 Andavane - Shanmukhapriya - Rupakam - Papanasam Sivan
01:38:45
(19 mins)

08 Shri Matrubhootham - Kannada - Mishrachapu - Deekshitar 01:57:07
(8 min)

09 RTP - Bhairavi 02:05:10
(47 mins)

10 Jayathi Jayathi - Khamas - Rupakam - Mayuram Vishwanatha Shastri 02:52:30
------------
viewers' comments are worth reading
------------
(duration info added)

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai Mani Iyer
T S Vembu Iyer - Vocal Support
T N Krishnan - Violin
Vellore Ramabhadran - Mridangam
Alangudi Ramachandran - Ghatam

1. Vātāpi Gaṇapatim Bhajeham - Haṃsadhvanī - Ādi - Muddusvāmi Dīkṣita [00:00]
2. Bṛhaspate Tārāpate - Aṭhāṇā - Tiśra Tripuṭa - Muddusvāmi Dīkṣita [04:58]
3. Ninnu Neranammi - Kāmavardhinī - Rūpakam - Tyāgarāja [09:42]
4. Āḍamōḍi Galadē - Cārukēśi - Ādi - Tyāgarāja [26:12]
5. Sārasamukhi Sakalabhāgyade - Gauḍamallār - Rūpakam - Harikēśanallūr Muttaiyyā Bhāgavatar [50:10]
6. Śrī Kamalāmbikāyāḥ Param - Bhairavī - Miśra Jhampa - Muddusvāmi Dīkṣita [01:07:25]
7. Sītā Vara Saṅgīta Jñānamu - Dēvagāndhārī - Ādi - Tyāgarāja [01:38:37]
8. Evarūrā Ninnuvinā - Mōhana - Miśra Cāpu - Tyāgarāja [02:03:24]
9. Sēvikka Vēṇḍum Aiyyā - Āndōḷikā - Ādi - Muttutāṇḍavar [02:14:29]
10. Rāgam-Tānam-Pallavi (Tenparam Girivēlanē Kuñjari Maṇāḷanē) - Latāṅgī - Ādi (2 kaḷai) [02:20:29]
11. Vēyuṟutōḷi Paṅgan (Viruttam - selection from "Kōḷaṟu Padikam") - Dhanyāsi - Tiruñānasambandar [02:43:27]
12. Vaidehī Sahitam (Śrī Rāma Dhyāna Śloka) - Rāgamālikā [02:47:39]

13. Kaṟpagamē - Madhyamāvatī - Ādi - Pāpanāśam Śivan [02:52:29]
14. Nī Nāma Rūpamulaku (Maṅgalam) - Saurāṣṭra - Ādi - Tyāgarāja [02:55:23]

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi wrote a nice post imagining a young aspiring kid praying to sing like MMI.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35311

In that link there is a recent lecdem of MMI given by our ace Lalitharam Ramachandran as part of Ranjani Memorial
https://youtu.be/Ou6epRR5ezY

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Today being Sept 25,2021 is SPB death anniversary day. Atleast to me in my life he is the greatest film singer . Certainly MMI is the greatest carnatic singer . SPB in 1979 got his first national award for the film sankarabharanam where SPB sings the song then Brochevaa revaruraa in ,,,,,,
Of course then I did not know that song was a carnatic krithi and for many years i thought it was sadguru krithi to later know it is by mysore vasudevacharya

For sure MMI would have not known SPB, I am wondering if SPB had ever heard MMI (may be or may be not). Any way we have a MMI -TC- UKS in ,,,,, . We have our living legend UKS right now . This song was also selected as it was performed in Mysore ramaseva mandali may be in early 1960s. Sachi may have gone to this mmi concert as a toddler(may be may be not).

MMI singing Brocheva in kamas
https://youtu.be/XT1yGaq2NDk?t=452

'MMI beginning swaras in brocheva short short commas with different shades of kamas
https://youtu.be/XT1yGaq2NDk?t=789

Two great musicians SPB and MMI - atleast for me the no #1.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Above recording of MMI in Mysore is bit scratchy. For me MMI singing fast fillers with rapid swaras is so deep in my psyche .Take just 8 mins pill of carnatic Classical intensity, what ideas and what a leash over laya.
Sevikka Vendumayya (S) - AndOlikd - Muttu Tandavar
3 plus mins krithi and and 4 plus mins of swaras.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQD3Qpsgnw

I donot know the accompanist . I am assuming LGJ plays the violin. @VISHNURAMPRASAD or @ lalitaram can do their sevikka vendum in identifying accompanist along with possible year

RSR

Post by RSR »

Pinned by Kalidas KS

Madurai MaNi Iyer
Music Academy Concert
Sangitha KalAnidhi
------------------------

uploaded by
Vidwan Kalidas KS
-------------------

https://youtu.be/OB_9UdQDXls

00:00:00 Vatapi - Hamsadhwani - Adi
-
00:15:28 Sri Sukra - Paras - Kanda Ata
-
00:21:22 Yochana - Darbar - Adi
-
00:36:03 Meenakshi Memudam - Poorvikalyani - Adi
-
01:05:00 Brochevarevarura - Kamas - Adi
*****************-
01:22:28 Kamalambike - Todi - Tisra Eka
-
01:55:07 Ka Va Va - Varali - Adi - TANI
-
02:12:28 Jalantara - Valaji - Tisra Eka
-
02:15:12 RTP - Kalyani - Kanda Tripudai
-
02:59:08 Karpagame - Madhyamavathi - Adi
-
03:02:45 Mangalam

chetants

Post by chetants »

rajeshnat wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 12:56 Above recording of MMI in Mysore is bit scratchy. For me MMI singing fast fillers with rapid swaras is so deep in my psyche .Take just 8 mins pill of carnatic Classical intensity, what ideas and what a leash over laya.
Sevikka Vendumayya (S) - AndOlikd - Muttu Tandavar
3 plus mins krithi and and 4 plus mins of swaras.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQD3Qpsgnw

I donot know the accompanist . I am assuming LGJ plays the violin. @VISHNURAMPRASAD or @ lalitaram can do their sevikka vendum in identifying accompanist along with possible year
Rajesh, it is Prof. TNK on the violin and most likely, VR on the mrudangam. dunno which year though. Sorry about the unsolicited half-answer :-) Yes, MMI is a true Nadayogi and brings out the best in his accompanists....

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Ref #1128 of rajeshnat

The rendition you referred to is part of the concert at MA-1966 of MMI with TNK-VR-Alangudi.

https://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjuna ... demy-1966/

Your query helped me locate this concert. Thank You.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Does anyone have an audio clip of MMI singing shrI valli dEvasEnApatE? Thanks.

RSR

Post by RSR »

https://youtu.be/zQtFWH7dF1s
about alavaakkottai, 1924
https://youtu.be/4nGLofCjVVc
Sri.VKV would like this

RSR

Post by RSR »

1957-4 hours concert
---
https://youtu.be/vjrNG3f9d5M
upload by Balu Karthikeyan
--
Madurai Mani Iyer - Lalgudi Jayaraman - Vellore Ramabhadran - Alangudi Ramachandran at the Arupatthu-Moovar Ustavam Festival in Mylapore sometime in 1957.
All kruthis from SS, Thyagaraja, MD, Swathi, only. Classics

RSR

Post by RSR »

ref- p-1134
1. O Jagadamba - Anandabhairavi -Shyama Sastry)
2. Suryamurte - Saurashtram - Muthuswami Dikshitar)
3. Entha Bhagyamu - Saranga - (Thyagaraja)
4. Subhramanyena - Shudda Dhanyasi(Muthuswami Dikshitar)
5. Sarasaksha - Pantuvarali (Swathi ThirunaaL)
6. Entha Vedukondu - Saraswati Manohari (Thyagaraja)
7. Seethamma Mayamma - Vasanta (Thyagaraja)
8. Sogasuga Mrudanga - Sriranjani (Tyagaraja)
9. Darini Telusukonti - Shuddha Saveri -(Thyagaraja)
10. Nenarunchinanu Annitiki - Malavi -(Thyagaraja)
11. Shri Subhramanyaya Namaste - Kambhoji(Muthuswami Dikshitar)
12. Vinayakuni - Madhyamavati -(Thyagaraja)
13-. RTP - Latangi -
14. Slokam - Ragamalika - Nadanamakriya, Cencurutti
15. Sakhi Prana - Cencurutti - Adi talam
16. Maye Tvam Yahi - Tarangini (Muthuswami Dikshitar)
17. “English Note”
18. Kandan Karunai - Bhimplas
19. Mangalam - 4:03:06

arasi

Post by arasi »

KALKI NOVEMBER 12 1944 ISSUE: COVER STORY

In #1121 in this thread, Dr. Pasupathy has posted a great cover picture and the write up for it from the weekly magazine and here is the translation of it. Kalki must have written it, he thinks. I agree.

SANGEETHA MEDHAI (MUSICAL GENIUS)

A few vidwans tend to acquire a large number of fans. Some feel that these musicians are either lucky or it is because of their attractive personality. Not necessarily so. It is perhaps because MMI is creating a new wave in CM by his pANi,* the way he handles his music. Those who get engrossed in his style of singing find it to be the choicest music and go to the extent of saying that they consider the rest of the singing as shouting, a pain.

There is that kind of a following for Gana Kaladhra Madurai Mani Iyer in tamizh nADu. This sort of a trend started even while he was a child. The ardor has grown over the years. Even though a small group, it consists of super rasikAs.

Finesse is the essence of his superior style. One should consider oneself fortunate to hear him sing.

That finesse is singing is not easily seen in others. That supreme quality can be found in the way an alApanA is sung. Some vidwans tend to sing AlApanAs as if they are just swarams. In MMI's case, even swarams sound as sweet as an AlApanA.
He doesn't jump from one note to the other. He gently slides into it. Those who listen to him get drowned in the happiness it brings about.

Madurai Mani Iyer is not just a sangeetha vidwan. He is a musical genius.

* I like saying pANI ?? :( ?? Well, pANi sounds suitable, when you think of the meaning of it=handling. So, style. I don't know when exactly bANi came into the vocabulary. A detour for venting my puzzlement, I apologize.
kaiyALudal is used in musical parlance.All that makes sense to me.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

everything makes sense for gana kala dhara , i do not even know yet the difference of pAni and bAni , if indeed you meant internally as a difference . All these are vaggeyakkara worries....

i am not sure if i agree kalki characterization of swaras like alapana , it is the mystique quality of his kalpana embedded with so much layam, what patterns he has weaved with sruthi suddham. The one and only ganakaladhara , i was not even born when he sang!!!

Ini oru kanam unai maraven gana kala dhara naan.......then after 3 or 4 mins into the bliss of ...ni da ni da ni ma gaa ni... ri ga ri sa ri ni.... da ni sa ri ga ma ma - the extraordinary ragam sriranjani took a new avatar on its own with an extraordinary papanasam sivan pullling more rasikas into CM with such lucid krithi. I dont know the mrudangist and ghatam artist , the violinist is mayavaram govindaraja pillai as per the comment who is rocking.

https://youtu.be/23YGn0x6FOQ?t=568

Baton Back to Arasi!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
A treat indeed this morning for me. Even some youngsters today are highly capable of swara varisais (sequences) and swara aDukku (of building on). However, each and every note of it soaked in sheer madhuram (sweetness) like this! Mad(h)ura (i) Mani alone could do it :)

As for Kalki's 'swarAs like AlApana' bit, you are not in that time zone when bhAvAnubhavam seemed a bit lacking in many performers. Kalki's approach would have been poetic to music. That's why rAgams might have appealed to him more in a concert--and here was MMI who from start to finish brought that experience to him as a listener. Even as a youngster, that's why he stood out for me I guess. To this day, though I know that structure to every piece in a concert is vital (involving the science of music), I tend to zero in on the rasa--Gana Kaladhara was a spring head of it. ivviDam SangItam paTRip pEsa theriyAdu AnAl rasikka maTTumE theriyum (can't utter a word about technicalities, but only know how music moves me).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

June 08th , 2022 is MMI death rememberance day
-------------------------------------------
Few mins back on June 08th ,it was the day when Shri Madurai Mani iyer left us way back in 1968. I am a rasika who did not have bhagyam to ever hear and even see him in his lifetime as i was also born much much later
Here is one rare Ithavu (neraval)along with a medlay ni sa ri ma ....ri ri ma pa pA ....
My interest in CM reaches a peak with only this kind of imagination and with this one of a kind of mahA mahA mahA vidwan , ganakalAdhara Madurai Mani Higher :P :P

sarasa sAma dhAna (N,S)- kapinarayani - T
As per Vishnuramprasad the accompaniments are Papa Venkatramaiah in violin and Umayalpuram Sivaraman in mrudangam- 1962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-qozgVHOZc

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

2143.சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 312
மதுரகான மணி
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2022/06/2143-312.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

Translation of Dr. Pasupathy's post # 1140 above is from the magazine KALKI (1959) when Madurai Mani Iyer was conferred the title of Sangeetha kalanidhi:

MADHURA GANA MANI

The Music Academy, known for its classical music and for its scholarly expertise in its music conferences each year,
starts its celebrations on the 24th of this month. It is quite a challenge for any musical institution to choose a worthy person as president--that too for a sabha which has functioned with excellence for the past thirty two years and has picked highly accomplished vidwAns so far--it is more of a responsibility to analyze the merits of the musicians before choosing one. They finally arrived at their choice, and rasikAs are all very happy as in the previous years. This speaks of the capabilities of the selection committee. This year is no exception.

Choosing Gana kaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer as president this year and to confer the title of Sangeetha Kalanidhi on him is most appropriate. It befits the vidwat sabha's standing. It's a proof unto the high quality of rasana among listeners as well.

Madurai Mani Iyer, due to his scholarship, his highly cultured nature and for his many years of musical experience, absolutely deserves to preside over the music festival. Though he is only forty seven, he has given concerts for about twenty eight years. He started giving concerts when he was thirteen which makes him a child prodigy.
Last edited by arasi on 09 Jun 2022, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

More to come...

arasi

Post by arasi »

He comes from the lineage of the superstar Sangeetha Simham Pushpavanam who was his uncle. As for his training, he learnt from Madurai Sri. Rajam Iyer from the age of eight and became a student of Gayaka Sikhamani Harikesanallur Muthaiah Bhagavathar at the age of ten.

Famous violinists like Semmangudi Narayanaswamy and Mridangists like Azhaganambia Pillai accompanied him from the year 1925. He became popular even at that young age. He sang rare rAgAs like naLinakAnti expertly, elaborating on AlApanAs and with very appealing svarAs.

Those who missed Puspavanam's singing, on listening to Mani sing rAgAs like kuntalavarALi got ecstatic. Hearing young Mani sing, reminded them of his predecessor.

Madurai Mani, along the years of his musical journey ventures out more with his abilities, to suit the capabilities of his voice, and in creating his own pANi. The fact that among rasikAs there is a remarkable group of fans for his music is proof enough for the extent of the charm one finds in his singing.

In 1925, he got the blessings and a medal from Sri Kamakoti Pitadhipathi. Another medal in 1927 from a music conference in Chennai. In 1943, rasikAs decorated him with the title Gana Kaladhara.

With him as the president this year, the conference and the concerts are going to be a roaring success.

Please do go to Dr. Pasupathy's post above and click on the link to see a lovely drawing by Gopulu of MMI, a photograph of his, then his addressing the sadas and one of GNB commending the awardee!

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai Mani Iyer - Govindaswamy Naiker - V Ramabhadran - Alangudi -
Tamizh isai sangam
-----------------------
https://youtu.be/6EL_nSEuGfE
--------------------------
Carnatic Connect
-------

01 Tatvamariya - Ritigowla - Adi - Papanasam Sivan 00:00:00
==
02 Shri Shukra - Paras - Ata - Dikshitar 00:08:04
--
03 Ini Oru Kanam - Shriranjani - Adi - Papanasam Sivan 00:13:32
04 Sadananda Tandavam - Bahudari - Adi - Achyutadasar 00:33:14
05 Tukiya Tiruvadi - Shankarabharanam - Adi - Shuddhananda Bharathi 00:44:19
06 Andavane Unai - Shanmukhapriya - Rupakam - Papanasam Sivan 01:22:59
07 En Palli Kondeer - Mohanam - Adi - Arunachala Kavi 01:46:26
08 Meena Lochani - Todi - Rupakam - Muthiah Bhagavatar 02:02:03
09 Ragam Tanam Pallavi - Keeravani 02:16:02
10 Vellai Tamarai - Bhimplas - Adi - Subramanya Bharathi 02:41:17
11 English Note 02:47:08
12 Vazhiya Sentamizh 02:49:48
===============================================

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/carnati ... e=scwspnss
Guided listening session of the concert of Sri Madurai Mani Iyer singing Papanasam Sivan songs.
Date: 4PM to 7:15PM of 03.07.2022
Venue: Vivekanada Hall, PS Higher Secondary School, Mylapore

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai Mani Iyer -
Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era,
circa
-
----------------------------------
Raju Asokan upload
===========
Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1934-
accompanied by Kumbakonam T.K.Jayarama Iyer-violin, Tanjore Vaidhyanatha Iyer-mridhangam & Madras Venu Naicker-kanjeera. மணி அய்யரின் சுருதி 4 கட்டை.
(Sri.MaNi Iyer was born around 1910 and would have given this record when he was 24 years in age. It is said by veterans that he sang in high pitch and very fast rendering style , in his early years). As such, this is a rare upload. The songs are well-known MMI reprtoire.- and so happens that all the main songs are by Thyagaraja Swami- RSR)
---------------
-
https://youtu.be/Yl-3TMLFkC0
-

Sri Raghukula-Hamsadhwani (Columbia GE 632)
Anuragamule- Saraswati(Columbia GE 632)
Vidajalatura- Janaranjani(Columbia GE 633)
Marugelara-Jayanthashree(Columbia GE 633)
-
RTP_ Kalyani_Bhajare Raghuveeram(Columbia GE634-GE635)
-
Ethani Vithangal- Virutham-Ragamaligai (Columbia GE 636)
Emijeyutu- Javali(Columbia GE 637)
Madarpirai Kanni-Thevaram-Arabhi(Columbia GE 636)
Thirupugaz- NIraimathi Mugam- Hamsanandhi & Mangalam(Columbia GE 637)
-
additional information given by a rasika.
--
Viruttam ( Kedaragowla, Bhairavi, Dhanyasi, Mohanam),
JaavaLi in Paras,
Thevaaram in Arabhi,
Tiruppughazh in Hamsanandi,
Mangalam followed by few strands of Madhyamavati.
=================================================

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X2RC-YGq1I

Rare video clip of Sri Madurai Mani Iyer
Singer: Sri Madurai Mani Iyer
Violin: Sri Thiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer
Mridangam: Sri T.K.Moorthy
Ghatam: Sri Alangudi Ramachandran
Song name: Vatapi ganapathim
Song line coming in the video: Nirantharam nitila Chandra kantam, neejavamakara...
( No audio was available 🙏🙏 )

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDuHj1eEVk

A Rare Video clip of Cheranmadevi Subramani Iyer and Madurai Mani Iyer receiving the Sangeeta Nataka Academy (President Award)
from President Babu Rajendra Prasad in the year 1960

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thank you ,The supernova video Darshan has happened. The one and only my #1 ganakaladhara

ini oru kanam unnai maraven vishnuramprasad
Last edited by rajeshnat on 10 Nov 2022, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vishnuramprasad,
What a treat! If only we had the sound too! Still, 'look' at his singing! His facial expression and of the surrounding artistes make it magic. The audience too. The magical aura of his singing can be felt here, even by those who haven't heard him in person, perhaps. In the shot before the one where President Rajendra Prasad awards him, the dignitary is TN Governor Sri Prakasa, it seems...