Harikamboji

Rāga related discussions
balusatya

Post by balusatya »

* I request the elite forum to discuss about the kritis /nuances in this raga.
* As far as my understanding goes, Thyagaraja & Papanasam Sivan have extensively handled .

vijay

Post by vijay »

Given that KHamas and Kambhoji are both popular ragas, Harikambhoji has to tread a thin line. In fact were it not for Thyagaraja's genius we might not have been left with much more than a scale...GNB's SAketha Nagara is another popular krithi, other than those of Thyagaraja/Sivan

arvindt

Post by arvindt »

Saketha Nagara I think is a composition of Shri Mysore Sadasiva Rao.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Anything from Kotiswara Iyer & Dr.M.B.K.?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

BMK has composed smara mAnasa smara madaham in Adi and Kotishvara Iyer has composed nIyE gati en tAyE in Adi in this raga.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

arvindt wrote:Saketha Nagara I think is a composition of Shri Mysore Sadasiva Rao.
Yes, This is a composition of Mysore Sadashiva Rao.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

paripaalayamam padmaasane is a beautiful kriti of Poochi Iyengar that I learnt ages ago - have never heard it on the concert platform. I particularly enjoy DKJ's niraval for the line "karunai kadale..." from the song muruga tirumaal maruga of Tanjavur Sankara Iyer. MS Subbulakshmi's rendition of vandaadum solai (a composition of Kalki) is highly reminiscent of Tyagaraja's undedi ramudu..

Member_First

Post by Member_First »

Last month, during a concert, I heard an artist doing a good niraval at 'thiruvulAvum tenpazhani' (anupallavi of MurugA thirumAl maruga of TSI).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Speaks so well of an excellent composition. Many lines are nereval worthy (worth repeating).

knandago,
One of my favorites too, paripAlayamAm padmAsanE! Hope it is sung again in concerts. A crisp and lively kruti.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Rara Panicheyara-Thyagaraja I have heard Kuzhikarai Visvalingam rendering in one of the Aradhanas conducted in Asthika Samajam-Tiruvanmiyur.In Alatoor rendering Enduku Nirdaya,DKJ-Sanithodi,Muruga Thirumal Maruga with neranal @Karunai Kadalai as stated earlier,Maharajapuram-Yundedhi Ramudo with neraval in "Thamasadi gunarahithudu " MSS-Ramanannu Brovara, Enthara nee with neraval@"Seshudu Sivuniki Bhushudu Lakshmana" I feel this ragam is not being explioted (if I can use the word) of late.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

I have also heard the initial Raga for learning Flute is Harikamboji (correct me if wrong)as against Mayamalava gowlai.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

One of the best alapanais in Harikambhoji that I heard was one by Shri Nedunuri Krishnamoorthy in Mumbai-Chembur Fine Arts-a few years back.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Sri Gananadham Bhajare ..parasakthi -Music India online-Vol-1-rendered by MBK.Is it a listed one?

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Rara Panicheyara-Thyagaraja
balu, It is 'rArA phaNi Sayana' (Come, O Lord reclining on Adi Sesha).
'rArA pani cheyara' - means - 'come and do the job'.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.com/files/114137812/0 ... amboji.mp3

A precious Phase in a T Viswanathan concert at Music Academy

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Thanks for the words correction.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

balusatya wrote:I have also heard the initial Raga for learning Flute is Harikamboji (correct me if wrong)as against Mayamalava gowlai.
To produce the Harikambhoji notes, there are no half hole opening or closing on the flute. So when the beginning student is struggling to get the basic sound out in a consistent manner, it makes sense not to introduce the half opening part of it. So as a teching technique, some schools use Harikambhoji notes as a starting point. Once the student gets the hang of it, they will switch to MMG in the usual fashion and go through the initial lessons like any one else.

I am not sure if one could call that the first raga that is learnt but it is more like they use HK notes as a starting point to get the techniques of the instrument.

rkannan

Post by rkannan »

can some body explain the jeeva swarams and important phrases of harikamboji --- rkannan

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

rkannan wrote:can some body explain the jeeva swarams and important phrases of harikamboji --- rkannan
Probably listen to Dinamanivamsa thilakalavanya - Thyagaraja Swamagal Kriti ! and preferably Semmangudi !

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Harikambodhi is one of my favorite ragas.

1.To get a real feel for this Raga,listen to several of Thyagaraja's krithis: Ramanannu Brovara,Enthara,Enthuku Nirdaya,Sannithodi,Undethi Ramudu,Vinathasudtha(there is some question regarding the "authenticity" of the composer but it should not detract from enjoying the treatment of the raga in this krithi).(Semmangudi(Dinamanivamsa)Enthuku(Nedunuri),Brinda Muktha(Sannithodi),KVN(Enthara or Saketha-although not Thyagaraja's)Undethi(Maharajapuram)--other composer's songs (Pamalai sung by NCV or Madurai Mani Iyer),Vinathasudha(Alathur bros)
2.The beauty of the raga is that although it is a "krama sampurna raga(all seven swaras in the natural progression)--Kambodhi with the omission of the Ni in the arohanam is more popular for Raga vistharas.As such when one does the alapana for Harikambodhi one has to sing Pa Da Ni Sa Implying that once you touch Ni the Sa has to follow whereas in Kambodhi(although in the Arohanam the Ni is absent after Dha one has the luxury of singing Pa Da Sa Dha Ni Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma-Ni follows Dha and so long as you do not touch Sa ,you are OK within the contours of Kambodhi(I know this is better demonstrated by singing rather than thro turgid prose-is there a way in the technology available to do the dem in the response itself on this site.

3. Regarding the Jiva swarams,although I am not a musicologist--as an amateur singing "dilettente",I have found the following swara korvais illuminating:
Pa Dha Ni(dragging the Ni) Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma,Pa Sa Ni(drag) Dha Pa Ga,Ma---,Pa Ri Sa Ni(drag) Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma , Pa Ga Ri Sa Ni(drag) Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma OR Pa Dha Ni Dha Ni Pa Ni Dha Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma Pa OR Sa Ri Ni --Ni Sa Dha --Dha Ni Pa --Pa Dha Ma-- Pa Ga(drag) Ma OR Sa Ri Ga Ma(drag) Ga Ri Sa Ni Dha Ni Sa Ri Ni Sa Dha Ni Pa Dha Ma Pa Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni sa.--listen to some crisp swarams by DKJ or KVN(the former has a wider repertoire of harikambodhi songs than any musician I have heard).
In my opinion if I were to be a judge in a music competition for Seniors, I would ask them to sing Harikambodhi without a trace of Khamas or Kambodhi.

Hope this perspective helps!!

malavi

Re: Harikamboji

Post by malavi »

Enadu manam, is one beautiful kriti by Papanasam Sivan which Sri,D.K.Jayaraman used to render in his concerts.

karaharapriyajanyam

Post by karaharapriyajanyam »

Ramasubramaniam Sir, what a wonderful post! Just lovely to read it! I have always wondered if sanithOdi is in khamas! What are your thoughts on that? It sounds so much like khamAs! I even remember Semmangudi(when he was young student) answering to somebody that sanithOdi is in khamAs!

bhavarasa

Post by bhavarasa »

One of my favorites is VandAdum ShOlai thanile - Kalki Krishnamoorthy - popularized by MS Amma. I still have the old LP.

samskrutilaya

Post by samskrutilaya »

i think, raga handling by various vaggeyakara's have been different for eg., tyagaraja's handling will bring out the emotional face of the raga and bhava inclined sahitya to a marriage where as m.s.deekshitars handling bring the nuances and the intricacies of the raga in itself with the complex yet divine phrases of the sahitya. as is the the case for so many composers. i am not sure whether m.s.deeskshitar's harikedaragowla( harikambohi in his version) received any primal focus by the artists.( is there songs in this raga by him- am not sure).

but to explore any raga one must explore how the raga has been played with by composers of all era to get a complete essence of the raga in all moods and tempo.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramasubramanian,
Thanks for the tutorial and list. You brought the rAgam to focus.
I heard 'kamala pada malariNai maRavAdE for the first time a couple of days ago. Is it a P.Sivan song? Sanjay prefaced it with a riveting AlApanai.
Sivan's enadu manam is a favorite of mine too, though (sorry for bringing it up again) I feel the first line was meant to be 'enadu manadil (not manam) kavalai enum iruL SUzhndAl'. Perhaps a printer's devil brought about the 'manam' version.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Karaharapriyam(Post #22).Thanks for your kind words. re; your query about Sannithodi,I have never heard anyone mentioning the Kamas Chayal--my version is the Dhanammal school(more or less similar to DKJ)--Brindamma/Mukthamma version. Knowing them as "sticklers" to their legacies( namely the Walajahpttai/Naina Pillai/ Bridamma/Chithoor/ school rigorously eschewing any deviations from that Patantharam) I doubt if Semmangudi Mama's hypothesis is true(ofcourse my personal opinion -- anyone in the Thyagaraja Sishya Parampara who followed the Umayalpuram School(which came several years after the Walajapet School popularised these songs) has been "loathe" to acknowledge the "authenticity" of some of the Saint's earlier compositions in rare krithis like Sadamathim(Gambhiravani)--mostly ragas with vivadi swarams that got popularised thro the Walajapet School.It is quite possible(but highly unlikely) that the walajapet school would have distorted the raga( or the prayogas in it.

Disclosure: None of my above views are derived from any rigorous,scientific research into the origin of the compositions or post-Thyagaraja History lest forumites should pounce on me for my unsubstantiated forays!!!

Arasi(post#25). Thanks for the kind words. I have never heard of the Krithi you mentioned -Sanjay singing--.

re; your point about the song Enadu Manam--I agree with you although all the versions I have heard-OST especially --seem to emphasise Enadu although grammatically it does not sound right. (perhaps the Sivan clan--nee Ashok Ramani can clarify this point--Sivan maintained a Hoe & Co diary(younger forumites may not be aware of this diary which was popular in the thirties and the forties!!) where he used to write some of the songs(I have personally seen this diary--it will have on one page a song and if there is space below he would scribble some Dhobhi account list--2 dhotis,3 towels etc etc. On the opposite page will be the account of travel expenses(if you want to know what was the rail fare between mayavaram and Chennai in those days that is your best source!! In fact everything needed for day-to-day living will be noted on the diary along with his compositions--a worldly man but oblivious to the vagaries of the world!!).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramasubramanian,
Good to hear that I am not being unreasonable on this manam, manadil thing.
I know my scribble. Heaven forbid that someone finds a song in one of my notebooks and tries to sing it! Wish PS had his PC and had made a file of his songs. It scares me to think that many in the present generation cannot see the difference between la and La, na and Na and so on.
Yes, that song kamalap pada malariNai maRavAdE! has a jaunt about it and the words just flow.

thenpaanan

Re:

Post by thenpaanan »

coolkarni wrote:http://rapidshare.com/files/114137812/0 ... amboji.mp3

A precious Phase in a T Viswanathan concert at Music Academy
I don't know how I missed this post earlier. T Viswa is always a joy to listen to (unfortunately I don't know the audio equivalent of "behold"). Can someone refresh this rapidshare upload and Coolji, could you post the whole concert if you have it?

Thanks
Then paanan

gienbee

Re: Harikambodhi kritis

Post by gienbee »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Harikambodhi is one of my favorite ragas.

1.To get a real feel for this Raga,listen to several of Thyagaraja's krithis: Ramanannu Brovara,Enthara,Enthuku Nirdaya,Sannithodi,Undethi Ramudu,Vinathasudtha(there is some question regarding the "authenticity" of the composer but it should not detract from enjoying the treatment of the raga in this krithi).(Semmangudi(Dinamanivamsa)Enthuku(Nedunuri),Brinda Muktha(Sannithodi),KVN(Enthara or Saketha-although not Thyagaraja's)Undethi(Maharajapuram)--other composer's songs (Pamalai sung by NCV or Madurai Mani Iyer),Vinathasudha(Alathur bros)
2.The beauty of the raga is that although it is a "krama sampurna raga(all seven swaras in the natural progression)--Kambodhi with the omission of the Ni in the arohanam is more popular for Raga vistharas.As such when one does the alapana for Harikambodhi one has to sing Pa Da Ni Sa Implying that once you touch Ni the Sa has to follow whereas in Kambodhi(although in the Arohanam the Ni is absent after Dha one has the luxury of singing Pa Da Sa Dha Ni Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma-Ni follows Dha and so long as you do not touch Sa ,you are OK within the contours of Kambodhi(I know this is better demonstrated by singing rather than thro turgid prose-is there a way in the technology available to do the dem in the response itself on this site.

3. Regarding the Jiva swarams,although I am not a musicologist--as an amateur singing "dilettente",I have found the following swara korvais illuminating:
Pa Dha Ni(dragging the Ni) Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma,Pa Sa Ni(drag) Dha Pa Ga,Ma---,Pa Ri Sa Ni(drag) Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma , Pa Ga Ri Sa Ni(drag) Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma OR Pa Dha Ni Dha Ni Pa Ni Dha Dha Pa Ma Ga Ma Pa OR Sa Ri Ni --Ni Sa Dha --Dha Ni Pa --Pa Dha Ma-- Pa Ga(drag) Ma OR Sa Ri Ga Ma(drag) Ga Ri Sa Ni Dha Ni Sa Ri Ni Sa Dha Ni Pa Dha Ma Pa Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni sa.--listen to some crisp swarams by DKJ or KVN(the former has a wider repertoire of harikambodhi songs than any musician I have heard).
In my opinion if I were to be a judge in a music competition for Seniors, I would ask them to sing Harikambodhi without a trace of Khamas or Kambodhi.

Hope this perspective helps!!
Dear Sri MKR,
My brother has sung Ramanannubrovara, Saketha Nagaranadha and Rara Panisayana.
I do not know whether you have listened to them

Ramasubramanian M.K

gienbee: I have heard GNSir singing Rama Nannu and Saketha but have not heard him sing Rara Panisayana--But MLV has sung the same krithi in several kutcheris-obviously learnt from the Maestro!!! Look for a quote in the GNB collections thread re; Mysore Vasudevachar and GNSir

Ramasubramanian M.K

Folks!! Pardon me!! I did not know what bumping means? I just mis-clicked on the thread!!

I hope this does not mean discussions are shut off!!!
Wil somebody enlighten me what bumping means?
Thanks.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

There is some context missing here for me, but in the forum bumping a topic means, when you post something in a topic, it goes to the top of the list of topics displayed. So posting something to a topic bumps to the top of the list...

Ramasubramanian M.K

Thanks Vasanthakokilam for the clarification--it was NOT MY intention to give any kind of precedence to my posting-- Initially I had responded to one of the rasika' request fro some clarification on Harikambodhi.That was all the context!!
Sorry for stirring the pot unnecessarily!!

Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread. I certainly rushed!!!!!

umeshmaroli

tillana

Post by umeshmaroli »

please send some tillana notes if anybody have

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iilpwk1i8 ... amboji.mp3

Thenpanan ..I Must have missed your request. Posted the other three tracks from the Isai Vizha broadcast of the 80s.
Dakshinamurthe ... Thanameedane(Bhushavali) ..Krishna Nee Begane

Full Program Link
http://www.mediafire.com/?db23mz779wesg
Last edited by mankuthimma on 26 Aug 2010, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Among the youngsters Prasanna Venkatraman does a great job with Harikambodhi.

RSR

Post by RSR »

p-20
-----

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sri.MKR wrote at p-20
-----

1.To get a real feel for this Raga,listen to several of Thyagaraja's krithis: Ramanannu Brovara,Enthara,Enthuku Nirdaya,Sannithodi,Undethi Ramudu,Vinathasudtha(there is some question regarding the "authenticity" of the composer but it should not detract from enjoying the treatment of the raga in this krithi).(Semmangudi(Dinamanivamsa)
Enthuku(Nedunuri),
Brinda Muktha(Sannithodi),
KVN(Enthara or Saketha-although not Thyagaraja's)
Undethi(Maharajapuram)--other composer's songs
(Pamalai sung by NCV or Madurai Mani Iyer),Vinathasudha(Alathur bros)
----
Vishnu Vasudev has given video clips for many of the above in his artiicle in Mediium.
(ignore the viewpoints , ..if ...)
https://vishnuvasudev-63314.medium.com/ ... e751c6cff6

RSR

Post by RSR »

continued from p-38
---
vaNdaadum solaithanile
ms.subbulakshmi

https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... i-thanilae

----------------------------------------
paa maalaikku iNaiyundo
nc.vasanthakokilam
https://sites.google.com/site/ncvasanth ... A%E0%AE%A4
-------------------------------------------

RSR

Post by RSR »

continued from p-39
-------------------
Saaketha Nagara - Mysore Sadasiiva Rao composition
rendered by Smt.MS in a concert in 1965
------------------
https://sites.google.com/view/mssubbula ... dasiva-rao

RSR

Post by RSR »

continued from p-40
-------------------
Smt MS Subbulakshmi began her Sangitha Kalaanidhi concert in music academy -1968 with Thyagaraja Swamy's 'entharaanii thana' in harikambodhi. ...Thyagaraja- Harikambodhi -MS ...ideal combination.
----

https://sites.google.com/view/mssubbula ... rikambodhi

RSR

Post by RSR »

nenendhu kudhuraa, hari
Thyagaraja Swamy kruthi
Karnataka Behag
almost same as Harikambodhi
may be the only kruthi in this raga by Thyagaraja
Smt.M.S.Subbulakshmi at Thyagaraja Aaraadhanaa concert 1980

------------
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... du-kuthura
----------
http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.co ... duraa.html
---
O Lord hari! O Lord worshipped by this tyAgarAja!

Where will I search for You?

Where will I search for You who did not come heeding the appeal of even that brahmA?

Remaining here as - (a) an impure minded, (b) a person given to evil deeds, (c) often a foul-mouthed, and (d) a pretender as the foremost of devotees, where will I search for You?
-

Thamizh translation by Sri.V.Govindan in the above page
-
நானெங்கு தேடுவேனய்யா, அரியே!

அந்நான்கு வதனத்தோனின் முறையீட்டினையும்
கருதி வாராத உன்னை
நானெங்கு தேடுவேனய்யா, அரியே!

களங்க உள்ளத்தோனாகி, தீயச் செயல்கள் கூடியவனாகி,
பன்முறை, தீயச் சொற்களோனாகி,
புவியில், தொண்டரிற் சிறந்தோரின்
வேடத்தோனாகி, தியாகராசனால் தொழப் பெற்றோனே!
எங்கு தேடுவேனய்யா, அரியே!
======================================
www.drmradhakrishnan.com
/blog
/categories/eka-krithi-ragas/
has an entry for this kruthi

arasi

Post by arasi »

What a lovely translation by our Govindan :)