Pandit Birju Maharaj

Remembering musicians of the recent past
Nick H

Pandit Birju Maharaj

Post by Nick H »

Pandit Birju Maharaj-ji passed away on 17 January 2022.

According to media sources, he had been playing with his grandchildren. He suffered a heart attack, and was dead before reaching the hospital.

According to me, such a life comes from the stars and returns there. He will shine on.

For his family, students, friends and loving audience, and for kathak itself, this is a terrible loss. Sympathy and condolences to them all.

rajeshnat

Re: Pandit Birju Maharaj

Post by rajeshnat »

NickH
As i read the newspaper today about him, i was only thinking about you as you immensely liked his dance . There is one thamizh movie that he acted along with kamal hassan , that is the only time i have seen him perform.
Condolences to many fans and families. Kathak and Birju Maharaj were synonymous, a big era has ended .

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities ... 07942.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
I know how much you adored Birju Maharaj's dance. He and his prime disciple Saswathi Sen were invited to the Cleveland Festival some years ago to perform. You may remember that the festival had streamed all the programs and it seemed as if we were sitting in prime seats watching their recital. What a transporting experience it was to see him! Well into his seventies then but how spring like he looked and danced! Little Krishna came to life in his movements and expression. His fine footwork chimed with youth and exuberance. He was child-like when he danced. They also had a demonstration program which again thrilled us no end.
When art in its excellence shines so, we cannot but renew our admiration for the art itself. As I was growing up and had seen one or two kathak performances, all that I registered was that they were super-fast and that was about it. Their whirling skirts were impressive and of course, many a Hindi movie had a kathak dance number. The only kathak dancer I was impressed with then was Gopi Krishna who was the leading man (as a dancer) in Santaram's Jhanak jhanak pAyal bhAje.
Years later, seeing Birju Maharaj dance was an unforgettable experience. I wish I had seen him in person on stage too.

Rajesh
Has he been seen in Chennai during the season over the years? I don't recall if Nick has seen him perform in London and in Chennai too.

May his soul rest in peace while his students continue the rich tradition of his art (and that of his family for several generations)....

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Arasi, yes... he doesn't dance something or someone, he becomes it!

I remember seeing the peacocks in Vandallur zoo, one day, looking at their footwork, and thinkinf, "Just like Birju Maharaj!"

I have seen him here once in December. I have seen him here as part of an all-night presentation of music and dance by SPICMACKAY at IIt. Maybe I saw him a third time, I don't recall.