gOvindA ninna nAmave candA gOvindA ninna nAmave candA

anupallavi

aNurENu trNa kASTa paripUrNa gOvinda nirmalAtmakanAgi iruvude Ananda

caraNam

shrSTi sthitilaya kAraNa gOvinda I pari mahimeya tiLiyuvude Ananda
parama puruSa shrI purandara viTTalana hingada dAsara ninayuvadha Ananda

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

The best I have heard is from the late Shri. Maharajaura Santhanam.
Sivaraman Sir, I havent downloaded your uploaded ver yet. But so far Santhanams beats all !!

Regards, SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Fantastic Sivaraman!
Very well executed. The modulation is just perfect.
You must be knowing that this raga jana sammOdhini was invented by the great BMK (your favourite). I wish there were more kritis in it. Of course Purandara knew nothing of this raga. I guess Santhanam set this tune and Unnikrishnan has also doen a marvellous job.
Do please do more such of your own! you are doing a grat job!
Congrats!

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

SR,
I agree entirely with you that the Late Maestro Santhanam's rendition of this krithi is the ultimate in bhavam, bhakthi and manodharma and till today I have not heard anybody render this krithi with such mastery.Mine was just a modest attempt to pay homage to the great Maestro , whom I adore along with another great genius, BMK.
CML,
Thank you for the appreciation.And thanks for the info that Janasammodhini was invented by BMK.I was not aware of this fact.And yes, I agree that Unnikrishnan has also done justice to this song, but not in equal measure to the maestro Santhanam.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cmlover
Your observation about JanaSammodhini may not be correct . There are 2 JanaSammodhini's, one is janya of melakartha 25 (MAraRanjani)and other is 28 (harikAmbodhi) .

I last week asked maharajapuram Ramachandran about this RAga after he sang Govinda Ninna , he said it is derived from slight shifting of Mohanam and also said it is janya of Harikambodhi.

Did Maharajapurams Sing GovindaNinna with the melakartha 25 janya or the melakartha 28 janya of janasammodhini (I am tilting towards Melakartha 28 janya)???

Look at this url for more info...
http://www.geocities.com/promiserani2/r ... sammOdhini

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks rajeshnat
for that reference. After carefully listening I would also agree to the 28th meLa janya theory. It will be nice to listen to get a rendition of BMK janasammodhini to get a feel for the difference. Also I am not getting the mohanam feel here. It will be interesting to get more renditions (of other kritis) to listen to!

DrMrinalini

Post by DrMrinalini »

'Karedare bara baarade guruve' in praise of Sree Raghavendra Swami-composed by Kamalesha Vittala (Adi tala), rendered by the Bombay sisters also is in Janasammodini-I should think-but some prayogas are devoid of 'Dhi' & seem vakra e.g sgpsnpGps PPr(corr. to Karedare barabaarade).

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

DrMrinalini wrote:'Karedare bara baarade guruve' in praise of Sree Raghavendra Swami-composed by Kamalesha Vittala (Adi tala), rendered by the Bombay sisters also is in Janasammodini-I should think-but some prayogas are devoid of 'Dhi' & seem vakra e.g sgpsnpGps PPr(corr. to Karedare barabaarade).
DrMrinalini,

Even though "karedare barabArade" looks very much like janasammOdini, TKG (who I think tuned this meTTu) calls it by a different name - suppose becasue of the nishada langhana in the ArOhaNa. I have forgotten the name, but can check with TKG's daughter, and post it here.

About the janasammOdini from 25th mELa, I think that is Dr MBK's nomenclature and that rAga is more widely known as vAsanti ( s r2 g3 p d1 s);

I remember a "vadya vrinda' program directed by Sri LGJ on AIR Madras about 15 years back. It was just brilliant. (Sri Coolkarni, Do you have a recording :-? Has he also compsed a varNa in vAsanti ?

-Ramakriya

meena

Post by meena »

Has he also compsed a varNa in vAsanti ?
no he has not composed one in vasanti :(

DrMrinalini

Post by DrMrinalini »

Yes, Dr.BMK refers to what is mentioned as VAsanthi (S Ri Gu P Da S; S Da P Gu Ri S) as janasammodini- the popular Ashtapadi 'Radhika krishna' is set to this raga & I'm told that he's rendered Madhvacharya's DwAdas'a stotra in the same.

Sri.Ramakriya, looking forward to the input on 'karedare bara baarade'.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

karedare barabArade is set to "swara sammOdini" rAga.

kartik

Post by kartik »

interestingly,ustad amir khan has rendered a major lovely janasammodini.

kssuresh

Post by kssuresh »

There is an old tamil film song "vasanta kaalam varumo, nilai maarumo". Can anyone clarify if it is Janasamodhini? Somehow, when I listen to Santhanam's Govinda Ninna I feel it resembles this movie song.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

govinda ninne- isn't it in sivakalyan?

muralikp

Post by muralikp »

I heard Bombay sisters saying "raga veena vaadini" for "karedare barabaarade"

Sath

Re: Janasammodhini

Post by Sath »

chalanata wrote: 25 Nov 2006, 21:03 govinda ninne- isn't it in sivakalyan?
Reviving a thread from 2006 because I was researching this rAgam and came across this:

From here:
Originally called Siva Kalyan, the raga went out of circulation, having heard Karnataka Janasammohini, Pt. Ravi Shankar ji brought it back with the Karnataka name. Pangs of separation, nostalgia, implicit faith in God are the moods of Janasammohini.
So apparently, sivakalyAn is another name for janasammOdhini.

Interestingly, in a Maharajapuram Santhanam track singing this song ("govindhA ninna namave chandA"), he yells out "Siva Kalyan" right in the middle (at 1:35 if you look up the track on sangeethamshare.org archives).