Seasonal Sentiments 2021

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sureshvv

Seasonal Sentiments 2021

Post by sureshvv »

Ramaprasad at BVB. Walked in a bit late & neraval already on at Sivachidambaram enru sonnal. Nice abhogi followed by Chakravakam alapana now.

Varahi Vaishnavi is the kriti rendered. Likes the sound volume really high. Not sure that is a good idea.

Devaki nanda mukunda in hamsanadam.

Begada alapana ending in tara sthayee for main followed by Lokavana chathura

BSP after being somewhat low key comes to the fore for nice effect.

Neraval & swaras at pallavi.

1.5 hour program ends with thani.

sureshvv

Re: Seasonal Sentiments 2021

Post by sureshvv »

RaGa sisters hitting it out of the park with neraval @ painthamizh malar paamalai soodi un pada malar panindhu paadavum vendum

4 ovations before kriti is concluded.

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 19:25 RaGa sisters hitting it out of the park with neraval @ painthamizh malar paamalai soodi un pada malar panindhu paadavum vendum

4 ovations before kriti is concluded.
MKT's (PS?) ambA manam kanindhu?

Is rAjan maharAjan on the way?

devan

Post by devan »

Next will be பாட்டும் நானே பாவமும் நானே. Fans will listen standing with hands clapping. 😀😀😀

sankark

Post by sankark »

devan wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 06:18 Next will be பாட்டும் நானே பாவமும் நானே. Fans will listen standing with hands clapping. 😀😀😀
lamenting? or welcoming?

FWIW, both ambA and rAjan would fall into solid CM fare. So slippery slope is an irrelevant concern in those cases.

devan

Post by devan »

பாட்டும் நானே is pure gowri Manohari.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Lakshmipriya, daughter of Dr.Hemalatha is surely on the ascend. A voice that has got strength and flexibility, repertoire and vidwat, she is presenting enjoyable concerts. IN Arkay, yesterday, she sang a very good Suruti. Thillai ambalathania. The main song was Etavunera. I should hear her complete concert once.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

devan wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 06:18 Next will be பாட்டும் நானே பாவமும் நானே. Fans will listen standing with hands clapping. 😀😀😀
Thani was the best part there! Ghatam Karthik or Tiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam could oblige.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sankark wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 00:24 MKT's (PS?) ambA manam kanindhu?
Yep. Has been officially inducted into the "classics" now!
Is rAjan maharAjan on the way?
The season is young, my friend :D

CRama

Post by CRama »

Amba manam kaninthu- I have heard from DKJ and Vijaya Siva.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

CRama wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 23:01 Amba manam kaninthu- I have heard from DKJ and Vijaya Siva.
As main or submain?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Referring my notes , i have heard the song ambA manam kanindu in pantuvarali . Once Prema Rangarajan sang and few times suryaprakash has also sang . The former takes the neraval in the line painthamizh paamalai , the latter takes it in intha varam tharuvaay. This song in pantuvarali is comparable with saarasaaksha , pantuvarali is most expressive .

Papanasam sivan has composed great thamizh songs - This one and also manamE eesan naamathai in kuntalavaraali , if the songs are picturized by MKT ,that does not mean musicians like Raga should not take it . The song has a proper pallavi - anupallavi - charanam structure , more power to them . I think BVB usually musicians sing more thamizh songs , would have been nice that too with gayatri in raga who has phenomenal throw in her voice.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

devan wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 13:01 பாட்டும் நானே is pure gowri Manohari.
Once Dr BMK sang in a carnatic live concert , the song that comes prior to Paatum naane - Oru naal poduma both of that is pure film songs . i dont think both paatum naane and Oru naal podumA has a pallavi- anupallavi - charanam structure. Comparing Paatum naane and ambA manam kanindu is not a correct comparison at all, as the former is not a krithi at all, where as the later is a krithi.

I also googled to find sikkil gurucharan has sung this ambaa manam kanindu in jayatv once. There is also Sudha ragunathan version of amba manam kanindu, i dont know if MLV has sung this song, may be she might have. All said i just googled to find the MKT movie sivakavi that had this amba manam kanindu is a 1943 movie , so it is 78th anniversary celebrations.

Papanasam sivan is a fanta fabulous vaggeyakkara, he brought in so many krithis into thamizh , possibly after mostly hearing and inspired by Sadhguru.

sankark

Post by sankark »

CRama wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 16:09 Lakshmipriya, daughter of Dr.Hemalatha is surely on the ascend. A voice that has got strength and flexibility, repertoire and vidwat, she is presenting enjoyable concerts. IN Arkay, yesterday, she sang a very good Suruti. Thillai ambalathania. The main song was Etavunera. I should hear her complete concert once.
Madhuradhwani? The online recording starts halfway thru n@mangalakara for prithvi kshetra kriti

CRama

Post by CRama »

Yes. Same concert

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sunil Gargyan for Margazhi Maha Utsavam singing on Maalum Marugonum.

Slokam followed by Gaja mukha anujam? In kedaram. Have not heard this before. Sparse audience too lazy to even applaud at the end.

Sama paalaya madhava maam anisam in asaveri.
Last edited by sureshvv on 06 Dec 2021, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Suddha danyasi alapana. B. Ananthakrishnan on violin clues with Narayana.

Proved to be right. Some nice swaras to conclude the kriti from both.

Kannadi vendumo velava in shanmugapriya. Chitravina Ravikiran composition?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Shankarabharanam main. Started very well but soon ascended to stentorian levels. Exuberance of youth. Muthukumaraiyaney.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Coffee/Tiffin service outside AWOL. Seemed to have roaring business yesterday. Can't count on anything these days.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Srirajani - same location on Shanmatham. Started with brief explanation & slokam. Sri maja ganapathiravatumaam. Jathi sung part by part in 1st & 2nd speeds eliciting applause.

Tiruppugazh in hindolam after brief sketch. Ragamalika for each line as she sang at Partha in '19.

Kuntalavarali
Begada
Vasantha
Patnam's raghuvamsasudha ragam??
Baghesree
Atana
Surutti

With swaras

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Himadri suthe pahimaam after brief sketch

Slokam followed by Suryamurthe

Kaana kann kodi for main with NST @? Manikkam vairam

Pasuram (kondal vannanai) in anandab.
chediyaya valvinai in amrithav

Darbari followed by Govardana giridhara

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Aishwarya Shankar @Arkay.

Starting with kathanakuthoohalam varnam - Saranagatha vatsaley
Last edited by sureshvv on 07 Dec 2021, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Varalakshmim bhajan re
iDikshitar kriti in sowrashtram on varalakshmi.

Swaras @ suraarchitha pada

Dharmavati overview & kavave karuna rasa yuvati
Ns @ shobhana suguna vathi

Rock solid rendition still bringing out the ineffable beauty buried in the kriti

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Forgot to mention yesterday's concert ended with the poorvi thlana with some never befote heard (by me) charanam lyrics that had aham brahmosmi.
Last edited by sureshvv on 07 Dec 2021, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Concert is part of KSK Centenary celebration & above kriti was his. Fitting tribute.

Saama ragam followed by Etulaina bhakthi

Triloka mata nannu brovu in pharas

Brilliant Bhairavi alapana with so many varying textures in voice followed by stellar follow up from L. ramkrishnan. Wondering ihow much a performing artist / dancer can do with this.

Mata tripura sundari manonmani

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

CRama

Post by CRama »

It was a wonderful concert. Never heard such an elaborate alapana of Sama ragam. Etulaina bhakthi also I am hearing for the firt time. An unhurried style of preentation with clarity in the sahithyam, necessary manodharmam elements all made her concert one of its kind.
Maha Tripura Sundari the main kriti in BHairavi is a composition of Pallavi Gopala Iyer. I have heard this song only from BV Raman and Lakshmanan

CRama

Post by CRama »

The next concert of Gaythri Girish was also very good. Two kritis presented in full detail- Thyagarajaya Namaste and Pakalanilabadi. Ododi Vanden Kanna was the filler. There was an RTP in Sarasangi.

CRama

Post by CRama »

GG started with Calcutta Krishnamurthy Mama's varnam in Malavi.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Lathangi...killing us gently... with softness & sensitivity!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

NGS mini has seen some major renovation including the sound system. The quivering speakers mounted on the wall are gone & brand a new Bose speaker mounted high up has taken it's place. The new sound system appears partial to the percussion department though.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Started with the day"s tiruppavai in danyasi. A gentle latangi alapana followed by Pirava varam tharum with some splendid swRas at parvati neya

A majestic kambodhi starting now.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Lovely violin return from Gokul, one of the emergent stars brought forward by the season.

Sri subhramanyaya namaste

A Grand presentation indeed with extended neraval & swaras @ vaasavaadi

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

]

In Chennai when it rains it pours!
Last edited by sureshvv on 24 Dec 2021, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

[

[
[

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

1.Asaveri varnan(s)
2.Swaminatha paripalayasumam
3. Latangi

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ivan yaaro in all it's glory

CRama

Post by CRama »

The concert of Malladi Bros in MFAC can be called as a Kalyana sappadu. Such a grand fare contrary to gr saatrigal's experience . List of songs.

Asaveri varnam- Lalgudi
Narasimha mamava- Arabhi, Ragam. Swaram swaram was amazing.
Sukhi evvaro- Ragam
Kalavathi kamalasana yuvathi- Yagapriya, elaborate neraval, swaram
Oorage galguna- Sahana
Adenamma
Emmayya rama- Main kriti- with fantastic alapana, neraval and swarams
Thani
Then left.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Amrita Murali concert in the same venue prior to MB concert was also fantastic. Songs
Pahi Sree Girirajasudhe
Marakataha mani varna- Swarams
adiya padaa- Sankarabharanam- Ragam, swarams
Sree Viswantham- ragamalika
RTP-Bhairavi-Khanda Triputa
Bharatha desamendru- she sang all the charanams in ragamlaika. a very long song
Sindubhairavi tillana

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Ramaji. You are right. It is a punishment for me for slightly disrespecting gr8 artist. (Though I was bit unhappy with the list of songs, not the artists) (Rupavati must be happy !!!!). I had to attend dance programme of my relative and I joined MFAC at 8..15 when they were wrapping up kambOji ragam, it was 8.20 PM. I was surprised to see the late kamboji. After that Baskar took 6 minutes in fiddle. I was sure they will take Emayya which was also liked by Mannargudi Eswaran. I still remember with ME, he sang the same kruti in PS High school 4- 5 years back S Janaki was present that day. Emayya is Nedanoori gAru's special.
After that, they rendered
Aadum chidambaramO - Behag- GKB
a pada varnam of Brida mukta in Punnaagavarali. (request of ME)
Javali in surutti
Marali....mangalam

ME was bit unhappy to give the Tani at 8.45 PM, where half the people left. Again MBs lacking time management. When senior artists perform, give respect to them and give them credit. The same thing Palakkad ramprasad did. Gave K V Prasad tani at 8.35, same venue. couple of days back.
This is where Ramakrishnan murthy, agains stood out. He gave tani at 8.15 to Karaikkudi Mani.

The concert ended at 9.25 PM. surprising they had sung for almost 3 hours (assuming they started at 6.30)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 11:48
ME was bit unhappy to give the Tani at 8.45 PM, where half the people left. Again MBs lacking time management. When senior artists perform, give respect to them and give them credit. The same thing Palakkad ramprasad did. Gave K V Prasad tani at 8.35, same venue. couple of days back.
This is where Ramakrishnan murthy, agains stood out. He gave tani at 8.15 to Karaikkudi Mani.
GRS,
Malladis decided not to sing post kAmbOdhi main( any RTP )and they had quite a few tail of thukkadas. They must have planned as a gameplan to sing a very detailed kambOdhi emayya rama . With 40 or 45 mins to spare , Easwaran had his tani where he started at 08 45 pm . I am assuming tani was 15 to 20 mins, then thukkadas may have gone for 20 mins . if they had given tani 30 mins back at say 08 15 pm , the near same exodus would have also happened . If that was the case , malladis need to have cut 2 songs before KAmbOdhi or having very reduced kambOdhi main. Lot of concerts when tani is given much before it means to atleast me there is not much stuff or elaboration in the head of the artist with the main number.

On Karaikudi mani he plays 2 concerts per year this year one for his sishya KBMK and i saw RKM . In the past he has occasionally chosen once or twice TMK , Gurucharan , saketaraman and thats it . He is so rare in concert pandal and possibly because of that he usually gets bit early tani. RKM gets more mileage as lot of rasikas indeed come to hear KM sir tani too because of his rarity and his history. Both Mannargudi easwaran and KV Prasad along with Karaikudi Mani are great artists and let us not choose the same brush.

All said giving tani 30 mins before concert end in a 2 and half hour to 3 hour concert is ok for tani. This seniority can be respected in other ways.People leaving at 08 45 pm is rasikas problem not malladis problem .

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

grsastrigal wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 11:48 Ramaji. You are right. It is a punishment for me for slightly disrespecting gr8 artist. (Though I was bit unhappy with the list of songs, not the artists) (Rupavati must be happy !!!!). I had to attend dance programme of my relative and I joined MFAC at 8..15 when they were wrapping up kambOji ragam, it was 8.20 PM. I was surprised to see the late kamboji. After that Baskar took 6 minutes in fiddle. I was sure they will take Emayya which was also liked by Mannargudi Eswaran. I still remember with ME, he sang the same kruti in PS High school 4- 5 years back S Janaki was present that day. Emayya is Nedanoori gAru's special.
After that, they rendered
Aadum chidambaramO - Behag- GKB
a pada varnam of Brida mukta in Punnaagavarali. (request of ME)
Javali in surutti
Marali....mangalam

The concert ended at 9.25 PM. surprising they had sung for almost 3 hours (assuming they started at 6.30)
Concerts without big 6 raga alapana etc. there are quite a few concerts of DKJ and Nedunuri garu which i have heard in the 80s / early 90s where they have sung the entire concert without a raga alapana and / or a major raga. And those concerts have stood tall. Fabulous concerts indeed. In one of the concerts of Nedunuri garu, he started the concert with a patnam kriti and the second a patnam kriti again and then he said he feels like singing more of patnam kritis and there were a flurry of patnam kritis. not a single thyagaraja / MD / SS kriti in the entire concert. Oh what a beautiful concert that was. The Bilahari main still is fresh in my memory ! I guess it all depends on the mood of the musician on that day. And the repertoire of Malladis are so vast, thanks to their various great Gurus, all from the same school !

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

GV taking us back few decades to our youth using the madhyamavathi time machine.

Nirmala hrdaya nivasini
nityananda vilasini

Hamveer RTP making it a total VR experience sans any equipment!

Phenomenal soaring RTP

Vignewaram vinayakam vande anisam !
varam varadam vaaranam!!

Khanda nadai

Wonder how Ennuyir thozhi would have sounded... In khanda nadai :-)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

1. Kalyani varnan
2. Vasantha, kanden kanden
3. Todi, Raju veddala
4. Tillana Sindhubharavi LGJ

Brilliant accompanists.
Last edited by sureshvv on 02 Jan 2022, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

1. Sowrashtram varnan
2. Palaya madhava maam anisam + swaras
3. Shannugapriya alapana
Vallli nayaka neeve gatiyani
N @ tallu tandri guru daivamu nee

Mistakenly announced as Patnam kriti before start but corrected when mudra showed up

S with eduppu in each
4.chittam irangadenaiiya
Pallavi in multiple speeds
Sheer Sweetness
5.bilahari, dorakuna
N @ rama brahma tanayudu
Killing it ever so softly

Violin sounds like the viola a lot

6. Ragamalika viruttam, hameer, maand
7. Ramanai bhajithaal
8. Tillana, anandab, sankara iyer
Last edited by sureshvv on 02 Jan 2022, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.