Bhavani Jagat Janani - S Aishwarya & S Saundarya

Classical Music of North India
cienu

Bhavani Jagat Janani - S Aishwarya & S Saundarya

Post by cienu »

We are extremely delighted to share a video of Smt S Aishwarya and Kumari S Saundarya (Great Grand Daughters of Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi and Grand Daughters of Sangeetha Rathnakara Dr Radha Viswanathan) presenting in Hindustani Music tradition, an extremely popular Bandish “Bhavani Jagat Jana” in Raag “Miyan Ki Todi” and “Ektaal”. Both S .Aishwarya and S.Saundarya are amongst the most popular musicians of the younger generation and have captured the hearts and minds of music connoisseurs both in India and across the globe as ambassadors of “Bharathiya Shastriya Sangeet”.

Bhavani Jagat Janani is a very special, beautiful and extremely rare composition and is purported to have been composed by Sangeet Samrat Tansen, one of the Navaratnas in the court of Emperor Akbar (as exemplified in the last line “Tansen gaat naam”)

Though essentially Carnatic Musicians, both S Aishwarya and S Saundarya have also been training in Hindustani Music under Sri Omkarnath Havaldar. For this particular composition, both the sisters have received intensive coaching from Sri Omkarnath Havaldar who not only conceptualized the presentation but was also the Director of the entire “Bhavani Project”.

Sri Omkarnath Havaldar is one of the leading vocalists of Hindustani Classical Music in India. He began learning vocal music at an early age from his father Pandit Dr. Nagaraj Rao Havaldar. He has further trained under Pandit Madhava Gudi and Pandit Panchakshari Swami Mattigatti, and continues to learn under Pandit Indudhar Nirody. Sri Omkarnath has performed on many prestigious platforms and has several accolades to his credit.

Sri Kedarnath Havaldar who has provided support on the Tabla, initially learnt vocal music from his father Pandit Dr.Nagaraj Rao Havaldar. However, he later pursued music on the Tabla, learning under Pandit Rajgopal Kallurkar and Pandit M. Nagesh. He continues his training under Pandit Samir Chatterjee. Sri Kedarnath has accompanied several musicians of repute on the tabla and has innumerable performances and recordings to his credit. He also teaches percussion music at the Azim Premji Foundation.

Sri Sameer Havaldar, who has provided support on the Harmonium, has trained on the Harmonium under Pandit Prabhudeva Salimath of Talikoti, and continues to learn from Pandit Panchaksharaiah Hiremath. An excellent vocalist too, he learns vocal music under his uncle Pandit Dr. Nagaraj Rao Havaldar.

Sri Shreedhar Mechri is a photographer and a devotee of music. Leaving behind a corporate career in information technology and finance, he now pursues his interests in visual media and Indian classical music. A vocalist and flautist himself, he has learnt Indian Classical Music from Smt. Jayashree Kadlabalu of Bellary, Ustad Sheikh Hannumiya of Bhalki, Pandit Madhava Gudi, and Pandit Vishwaprakash. He continues to learn vocal music from Pandit Dr. Nagaraj Rao Havaldar.

The lyrics are as follows:

Bhavaani Jagat Janani
Dayini Sukh Kaarini
Mujh Ko Tu Aadhaar
Smarata Tava Charana Yugala
Paap Taap Shaman Hota
Taansen Gaat Naam
Divasa Yaamini

Guru & Music Direction : Omkarnath Havaldar
Tabla : Kedarnath Havaldar
Harmonium : Sameer Havaldar
Audio Mixing & Mastering : Ashwin Prabhath
Sound Engineer - Rangaswamy Rangu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plYJ9u72zt0

rajeshnat

Re: Bhavani Jagat Janani - S Aishwarya & S Saundarya

Post by rajeshnat »

Well done sisters , aishwarya voice is leading and manoeuvre's the flow . Saundarya has now got a more powerful voice since last time i heard her. I am wondering bandish is just a carnatic pallavi rtp line . This raga is subhapantuvarali in carnatic, the miyan ki todi has its special hues to have a tinge of melody filled sorrow . Well done sisters. In all this , one side of my head is wondering why cant mrudangam take over tabla and more importantly violin take over harmonium. But hey wait ,my other side of the head says this is miyan ki todi and not subhapantuvarAli .

All said well done , i did not know the legacy of bharat ratna ms amma singing this song. I got educated may be 70 years later.

RSR

Post by RSR »

I would suggest that Saarangi is used along with Tabla. That is the typical HM classical style. and Sarangi is a very great instrument. because of the so many 'sympathetic resonance' strings . It creates a very fine effect. Harmonium is not used by Classical singers often . It is more for Light Classical.
Is there any old recording of the rendition by Smt.MS? It will be a collector's item.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rajeshnat wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 13:20 Well done sisters , aishwarya voice is leading and manoeuvre's the flow . Saundarya has now got a more powerful voice since last time i heard her. I am wondering bandish is just a carnatic pallavi rtp line . This raga is subhapantuvarali in carnatic, the miyan ki todi has its special hues to have a tinge of melody filled sorrow . Well done sisters. In all this , one side of my head is wondering why cant mrudangam take over tabla and more importantly violin take over harmonium. But hey wait ,my other side of the head says this is miyan ki todi and not subhapantuvarAli .

All said well done , i did not know the legacy of bharat ratna ms amma singing this song. I got educated may be 70 years later.
Thank you Rajesh :)
I am attaching a link of "What is a Bandish ?" by Arunabha Deb, wherein the author has given a detailed analysis of what constitutes a Bandish.
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/bl ... 904915.ece
As far as the legacy goes, my Grandmother had come under the influence of Hindustani maestro Pandit Narayan Rao Vyas quite early in her life. In her younger days she also used to listen to Roshnara Begum over AIR and was a great fan of her music. Subsequently both my Grandmother and mother learnt from Shri Dilip Kumar Roy and Siddeshwari Devi Ji. In the 1970's they also learnt under Prof M R Gautam . Another significant influence was Sri P S Srinivasa Rao (A Thanjavur born Marathi speaking Brahmin) who had tuned so many of their Surdas and Meera Bhajans.

cienu

Post by cienu »

RSR wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 11:25 I would suggest that Saarangi is used along with Tabla. That is the typical HM classical style. and Sarangi is a very great instrument. because of the so many 'sympathetic resonance' strings . It creates a very fine effect. Harmonium is not used by Classical singers often . It is more for Light Classical.
Is there any old recording of the rendition by Smt.MS? It will be a collector's item.
Thank you so much Sri RSR :)
My grandmother and my mother have not learnt this bandish