The state of the art of Carnatic Music - 2021

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shankarank

The state of the art of Carnatic Music - 2021

Post by shankarank »

Every once in a while we get a writeup on the state of the art in Carnatic music!

About a decade back it was about content. There was Sri Lalgudi's ruminations ( Sruti magazine "state of the art issue - 2010 or so) on content: "is all we could offer this syncopated content? Will the new audience treat as "art" or "artful" enough?" etc.

Then from SrI Vijay Siva talking about why some of the older composers ( Sri Purandaradasa , Sri AnnamacArya) are not the main stay on the Carnatic performance. Reason: "We did not receive their original tune!" - is that the reason really?

Now this time it is on delivery. One by Bala Shankar on the speed and aggression:

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 683655.ece

The definition of music includes terms like melody, aesthetics, enjoyment and similar emotions. We say, ‘it’s music to the ears’ when something is pleasant. Carnatic music, however, is seeing the creeping influence of a muscular and robust brand of singing that may challenge these definitions. It is now par for the course to be loud, over-enthusiastic, imperious and vigorous, which all seem to be advocated as surrogates for liveliness and energy.
The following words are now in danger of being edged out — softness, finesse, grace, refinement and polish, poise and restraint.
If you put these terms together, you will understand the contrast that I am referring to. In fact, the gentler and quieter the music, the more its power to elevate the soul.
Music should be delivered with sweet enough melody to allow the ears ( or the hearing faculty) to let it through! What is actually "music" is few dimensions beyond that!

Also "music should lift the soul" generic comment does not make sense. rasikas come from various different backgrounds, now even with the lack of "diversity" of "ethnicity" - Note the quotations. What lifts the "soul" is now undetermined. And what is the "soul" that we are talking about?

What is a continuous tradition, we are trying to impute some purpose into it. But we fail to implement some actionable items based on the philosophy of music that the composers themselves talk about in the kritis.
The following words are now in danger of being edged out — softness, finesse, grace, refinement and polish, poise and restraint.
Now we have critique on such usage also: "These are words invented on the course of musical commentary last century to justify the 'classical' ". What would the author say about that? Everyone wants ignore the 800 pound guerilla in the room? :D
One of the most complete musicians of a previous era, Palghat K. V. Narayanaswamy, once responded to a question on what lifts music with the word sowkhyam. Vocalists need to reflect on their melody quotient and recalibrate.
Now this term sowkhyam is overused by the mylapore aficionados to the hilt and has resulted in lot of mediocrity for some time. In reality , things may be going for the better!

If you were to ask me in the 80s where I would have placed KVN, like there are musician's musician - he is a music college musician! Students of music colleges were told to regard him as the role model. I only heard about him and then heard him live in Cleveland for the first time in the 2000s. Around that time I have also heard from some learned rasikas of previous era ( 2 generations prior to me) who have told me that he lacked depth! After that I was drawn to his music anyways, once tapes started flowing from recordings.

And there was yet another time his name was dropped. Smt. Aruna Sairam's first concert in Cleveland. An Aradhana aficionado youngster - not the seniors - compared her draw on the audience to that of KVN from a decade or so before.

Laymna - avvalavu kiLLU keeraiyAga poiviTTadu!! For Mylapore makkal and their extensions!

So just name dropping a musician, without delving into the philosophical underpinnings of their music does not help.
Lastly, large crowds and followings may be misunderstood as complete endorsement of the musician’s craft. But it’s often only a recognition for the singer’s better aspects; the audience never speaks but switches abruptly at some point.
While its good to hark back to some era in music and also state ones opinionated take on what Carnatic music should be, the author can avoid commenting on rasikas and their imagined expectations and what they will do in future.

Since he is talking about the likes of me, I felt the need to respond.

RSR

Re: The state of the art of Carnatic Music - 2021

Post by RSR »

'Sowkyam'......I think Thyagaraja Swami himself has sung about it in his melting kruthi 'intha sowkyamanine'... (Kapi). Rendered by Gaana Kalaadha MaNi Iyer, it defines the term....
--
- Also his 'Janaki RamaNa.
and then Suki Evvaro-...
Aalathoor bros rendition of 'Naama kusuma ' in SriRagam…...
Smt.DKP - Maanasa Guruguha' and ' Sri SathyaNaraaanam'
Sujana Jeevana in Kamas.
Almost all MD kruthis are 'sowkyam'.
-
- My impression is that the kruthi's must be in slow tempo with full immersion in the lyrics. ( may be that the music which will sound as sweet without percussion accompaniment). and even without violin .
---
over to experts

shankarank

Re: The state of the art of Carnatic Music - 2021

Post by shankarank »

Now what is real sowkhyam , should be left to a Guru-Sishya conversation. A public use of the term to push one's music into the market or doing commentary on music is not desirable. It impacts the importance of such a conversation.

You are also now name dropping all the composers, without delving into philosophical aspects.

As regards your comment on accompaniments - I would say this : That is indeed very easy to implement. There is enough people of convictions who trace their ethnicity to the place of Mylapore now spread across the world. They can gather and enlarge their strength with other such people , convince them to come together.

If they all believe in a certain form of music , collect some resources and stipulate the music of your choice and have it!! Plenty of venues available. It may already be happening. I see some names like "Indira Ranganathan Trust" promoting "sedate" music. Mridangam is almost silenced. Bolster it.

Why keep harping on a large auditorium pictured in the article and happenings there? Large institutions are a necessary evil, lets say - given the evil filled Urban lifestyle - and there is no remedy. (I had to use the term evil for the lifestyle, to give myself the moral grand stand to call Sabhas as necessary evil! Both cancel each other out ;) ). They are there to preserve and encourage in a larger sense what this music is about. They have also become too big to fail. ellAm periya iDam Ahi viTTadu. Hence not very flexible.

If you need something specific , create it.

Once a right wing host in CNN referred to Detroit Auto union workers as Champagne paid - for their pension benefits and pay! Mylaporeans in that same vein live a "bAdAm halva" paid lifestyle, world over! They can do it, if only they can connect. It is easy with modern tools. The onus is on the rasikas, not artists. Specifically those with strong convictions on music ;)

P:S : - An Upanyasaka in the 80s kept using this "bAdAm halva" as the economic index of well being during his discourse. I tell you PSS SvAmi Sabha and Arusuvai were a relish for that dish.