NAVARATHRI CONCERT OF SREEVALSAN J MENON

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

NAVARATHRI CONCERT OF SREEVALSAN J MENON

Post by CRama »

This year Navarathri had been much satisfying experience for me. With a mini kolu, disciplined daily Pooja, restricted visitors to house and also our very limited outing, I enjoyed plenty of on line concerts. The Navarathri Mandapam concerts relayed over radio brought nostalgic memories.

Out of the many concerts I enjoyed, I give link to a must listen concert - A concert of Sreevalsan J Menon accompanied by Edappally Ajithkumar on the Violin and Dr.Nanjil A.R. Arul on the Mridangam and Udupi Sreedhar on the Ghatam. Concert organised by Nadopasana, Irinjalakuda. The concert maintained a very high standard as to the song selection, imaginative alapanas and appreciable manodharmam elements and overall divinity in the exposition of kritis. Specific mention about Pahi Parvata nandini with its sumptuous neraval and swaras, an elaborate alapana of Ahiri preceding Pani mathi mukhi bale with its imaginative keezh kala swarams, and Natakurinji as the main piece- Syama Sastri kriti Mayamma Nannu brovavamma. The accompanying artistes provided very good support. A full length concert of two and half hours. Listen to the concert. Link given below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egiuuqnwSyU&t=648s

rajeshnat

Re: NAVARATHRI CONCERT OF SREEVALSAN J MENON

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 22:45 an elaborate alapana of Ahiri preceding Pani mathi mukhi bale with its imaginative keezh kala swarams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egiuuqnwSyU&t=648s
When i have time i will hear this, but before i will just eat something as i am planning to hear Ahiri :P . Dr Sreevalsan has a soothing voice and intense sruthi suddham.

musicofmdr

Post by musicofmdr »

A very nice concert indeed. I liked the way he blended tAnam during the kalpanAswara. And the Ahiri Alapana is rare, so, nice to hear one!

#musicofmdr
https://musicofmdr.com/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

What a lovely ahiri and the beginning nattai was rocking as well. Nanjil Arun was simply too good . Dr Menon is so melodious and therapautic . 2 weeks back i wrote a long post in Menon thread , there was submission problems in website. I always type the content in notepad but lost the good habit due to not having opportunities to write for the last 2 years due to pandemic and absence of concerts

Dr Menon is a rocking musician , hope he comes and settles down in chennai or i goto kerela to settle to hear him in more concerts . HE is fanta fabulous sampradaya musician who keeps me engaged me through out .

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh, Happy that you liked the concert. This Navarathri season, I could hear many good concerts from Sreevalsan Menon, Vishnudev Namboodiri, Vivek Muzhikulam and Sankaran Namboodiri- all on line concerts but most of them were live before the audience. Many grand kritis on Ambal, rare kritis and familiar kritis. But concerts maintained good standard. And there are so many accompanying artistes of good standard- unknown to all of us. I heard a few fresh faces also who gave good concerts.

Regarding Menon shifting to Chennai - absolutely NO. Next Navarathri you make a trip to Kerala, attend few good concerts in nearby cities and temples.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 20:12 Regarding Menon shifting to Chennai - absolutely NO. Next Navarathri you make a trip to Kerala, attend few good concerts in nearby cities and temples.
Kerala used to have lots of concerts say till 2015, slowly the count of concerts has dwindled . If i go to kerala the first thing i will wish to hear a long concert that too with Dr Menon would be the best of choice for sure. He is brilliant atleast 10 years back once i put a half day leave at work to hear Menon singing in academy second evening concert . That concert he was accompanied by violinist HK Venkatram whom i heard for the first time then.

My entire acclimitization of Dr Menon music was shaped by Nadopasana Srinivasan who was a bit of chennai father figure for Sreevalsan menon who adored his music a lot . Many years back i only knew Sreevalsan guru was NEyyantikkara Vasudevan and thought he was the disciple of SEmmangudi . I did not knew for many years that Ramnad krishnan is also one of Neyantikkara's guru. All said Sreevalsan shows flashes of two great paramagurus SSI and Ramnad Krishnan. Neyantikkara is a great musician whose few recordings that i heard were so intensely classical.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Plan something for 2022 October- during Navarathri time. If necessary. I can get you his schedule in advance.