Musicians and their multiple talents

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
nivedita

Musicians and their multiple talents

Post by nivedita »

Did you know that many Carnatic musicians are multi-talented and pursue their non-musical passions with just as much zeal?

In 'Musicians and their Multiple Talents', the latest article on my website TheCarnaticTimes.com, I talk to senior musician Smt. Vasundhra Rajagopal about her health and wellness website and store A Pinch of Turmeric and young vocalist Jayakrishnan Unni, who is also an accomplished artist and painter.

https://thecarnatictimes.com/portfolio/ ... e-talents/

Read, and I promise you'll be awed!

rshankar

Re: Musicians and their multiple talents

Post by rshankar »

Fabulous, Nivedita! Most amazingly talented people are polymaths.
Here’s an article that goes over the flip - scientists who were musically talented:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... -than-ever

And then, there are people like Amy Chow: Olympic gold medalist, very talented piano player, a pediatrician etc. etc. etc.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Amazed at Jayakrishnan's paintings - really awesome

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nivedita
Superb Writing , you have brilliantly researched the talents of Jayakrishnan Unni and Vasundhara and presented it so well. I am assuming in the second photo of vasundhara you indicating that vasundhara singing in 1967 -1968 , the year is wrong . Looking forward to taste the Golden Elixir.If i can make a suggestion to Smt Vasundhara , I keep hearing that gum disease or gum strengthening is something that is afffecting many of us , perhaps some thing for gums will help all of us . TRS mama from the clouds should be proud of Smt Vasundhara , I wished he had a bottle of Golden Elixir then instead of toast and jam in toronto but for Taala Raaga Swaroopan even fasting for 3 days he can give great music.

Jayakrishnan Unni is a phenomenal talent . I did have the bhagyam of seeing his MDR paintings 10 to 12 years back in Eldams Road hall where he painted the different rasas of MDR with kathakali with 9 ragas. He is extremely talented .

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 06:40Jayakrishnan Unni is a phenomenal talent . I did have the bhagyam of seeing his MDR paintings 10 to 12 years back in Eldams Road hall where he painted the different rasas of MDR with kathakali with 9 ragas. He is extremely talented .
It's certainly astonishing work. He seems to have an obsessive compulsion with detail, but to have channelled this as a tool for true artistic expression.

It is easy to think of carnatic musicians active in fields from medicine, through mathematics, to commerce. It could become a regular series, maybe once or twice a year.

arasi

Post by arasi »

And, what a great job Nivedita has done! We get to see the many talents of a mature artiste and of an upcoming one (also a fine artiste!
Kudos to both of them.
Nivedita is thorough, puts a lot of zeal into what she does and her own artistic sensibilities make what she does very special...
Yes, Nick, a good topic to continue with...:)

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

rshankar wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 01:26 Fabulous, Nivedita! Most amazingly talented people are polymaths.
Here’s an article that goes over the flip - scientists who were musically talented:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... -than-ever

And then, there are people like Amy Chow: Olympic gold medalist, very talented piano player, a pediatrician etc. etc. etc.

A fascinating read, that article! Thank you for sharing, rshankar.

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

HarishankarK wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 02:34 Amazed at Jayakrishnan's paintings - really awesome
Yes, I can't stop being amazed either!

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

rajeshnat wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 06:40 Nivedita
Superb Writing , you have brilliantly researched the talents of Jayakrishnan Unni and Vasundhara and presented it so well. I am assuming in the second photo of vasundhara you indicating that vasundhara singing in 1967 -1968 , the year is wrong .
Thank you, rajeshnat. Why do you think the year is wrong? I can check with Vasundhra-ji though I've reproduced the year(s) exactly as she sent.

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

arasi wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 21:48 And, what a great job Nivedita has done! We get to see the many talents of a mature artiste and of an upcoming one (also a fine artiste!
Kudos to both of them.
Nivedita is thorough, puts a lot of zeal into what she does and her own artistic sensibilities make what she does very special...
Yes, Nick, a good topic to continue with...:)
Arasi-ji, you made my day! Thank you for being so generous with your praise. :-)

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Nivedita
Great. Getting reminded of Shriman S. Rajam Avl.
Continue to share.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
25 11 2019

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Hi N

How is your Guru?

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

thanjavooran wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 09:43 Nivedita
Great. Getting reminded of Shriman S. Rajam Avl.
Continue to share.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
25 11 2019
Thank you, sir! :-)

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

My mother late Smt Rajam Pushpavanam would create many different models in the "Impossible Bottle". How she created them I do not know and very sadly nor do I have any of them with me. It was her habit to give away things to others.

Here's what the Impossible Bottle is....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_bottle