3 octave clean singing without falsetto

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

SrinathK

Re: 3 octave clean singing without falsetto

Post by SrinathK »

Two octaves regular and lower octave on vocal fry. This is not true 3 octave singing, nor is it using one register. Besides, there are actually many vocal registers -- vocal fry, chest (normal) voice, mixed voice, head voice, whistle register and falsetto -- all these mechanisms are different.

Anyone who sings more than 2.5 octaves is definitely at the limit of their normal voice. 3 octaves or above, no way they can do it without more than one register.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Suryaprakash has a very fine and pliable voiceđź‘Ť

I think BMK, TMK, AR can do 2.5-3 octaves. Falsetto or otherwise - I won't comment.

I have heard Amrutha Venkatesh in a private video do 3 octaves.

I think for great Carnatic music, a good voice that spans with ease from Lower Pa/Ma to higher Pa/Ma will be very nice.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

All those singers use at least 2, if not 3 registers. BMK, SAK Durga and Yesudas were more of head voice singers at the highest notes, while Abhishek or KMBK or TMK are more mixed voice singers. TMK goes totally head voice near the upper S.

The biggest single register range I've heard with anyone in CM is probably MS Amma or MLV at her peak for ladies and GNB at his peak for gents and even that wasn't 3 octaves, only a tad over 2.5. Anything more and at least a mixed voice or a vocal fry has to come in. Or you have some freak superhuman genetics. :mrgreen:

Singing from lower P to upper P is actually 2 octaves, but to hit these notes comfortably, some reserve range is always needed. Ideally a singer would need 2.25 to 2.5 to sing anything in our repertoire.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I like listening to Suryaprakash any time. I like his voice and range. This is a good demonstration of what all his voice can do, but I like listening to him as he sings freely and mellifluously as I have heard him many times before :)

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I too usually like Suryaprakash’s singing , but without questioning your reactions, I would say that I did not enjoy this. It did not sound good to me. It seemed to be too much of an exercise and I feel it did not flow naturally.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ranganayaki,
And I said 'but'...:)