Sakaley Guruguha 'Charaney'?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sivaramakrishnan

Sakaley Guruguha 'Charaney'?

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

In a recent grand concert at Chennai, Ranjani and Gayathri who took up Dikshitar's Navaavarana kriti Kamalaambike (Todi) as the 'main', rendered Neraval (and swaraprastara) at the Charana sahitya beginning 'Sakaley Guruguha' but sang Sakaley Guruguha Karaney as Guruguha Charaney. Is it OK?

raghavasimhan

Re: Sakaley Guruguha 'Charaney'?

Post by raghavasimhan »

In my opinion, it is Guruguha karane.. Creator of guruguha.. charane does not make sense at all (feet of guruguha).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

See Rajani’s translation at http://guru-guha.blogspot.com/2007/09/d ... a.html?m=1
It is गुरु गुह करणे- cause/mother of the composer’s गुरु, स्कन्द (skanda)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sivaramakrishnan,
Thanks for starting this thread, and Ravi, for bringing Rajani's superb translation (as can be expected). A very special song I learnt when I was eleven? This mega kriti was beyond me, but I loved the tODi gem. Now, with Rajani's help, the whole song shines in every detail for me. Thanks all...

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Thanks all for the participation in the discussion espy rshankar for providing Rajani's link on the kriti.

Musicians must be careful with sahityam as the composers must have considered the meaning rather than the scope for neraval or swaraprastara!