LAYA VIDYALAA TO REOPEN ON APRIL 14

To teach and learn Indian classical music
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Param

There is some misunderstanding. None of us are asking you to 'teach' us to play mridangam. Yes indeed that will take 15months or more and we will all lose our patience by then.

What you have written in blue is the minimal we should know to listen to Tani intelligently. Hence the examples. The tanis that you are posting are for 'teaching' and you will refer to them time and again to draw our attention as examples to learn in practical terms. That is the right approach. I understand you will explain the 'technical terms' as we go along. Just now, while listening to what you have posted we are simply lost, that is legitimate. By the end of the course if we can decipher and appreciate the beuty of these Tani and have the desire to listen to them again and again (instead of going for a coffee) then you have fulfilled your mission. That is my POV!

Perhaps other students can add their views

param

Post by param »

CML

Precisely what I also said - in my earlier posting too - that I would first upload full tanis - then break it up into pieces with explanation what each piece is and so on. Whereas, Meena is now leading us to some other area which is confusing me a little bit. Could you please enlighten me on this - it is definitely a case - something that I have not understood that irated me.

Meanwhile, I have attempted to trigger some fond memories of yours under the Vidwans - Vasanthakokilam thread - Enjoy.

meena

Post by meena »

Whereas, Meena is now leading us to some other area which is confusing me a little bit.
sorry if i confused u, please ignore my post and carry on with ur lessons. thanks

Please check mods thread

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

CML

I second you...

mohan

Post by mohan »

paramji - thanks for the thani - I look forward to your analysis. I have downloaded the Upendran - Harishankar thani and it sounds excellent.

You have mentioned your father a few times but being a newcomer to this forum I didn't get his name. Can you please let us know about him and your training too.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear cmlover and meena,

I am Kalyanakrishnan - in other words, Parameswaran's father who you all know quite well.

Please accept my pranams too.

I note that Parameswaran is trying to do some good work for the benefit of mankind. I will be watching what he writes and will add my comments too as and when found necessary.

Let's all enrich ourselves with the little knowledge that we have by sharing our bit with each other.

Namaskarams to the elders and blessings to the younger ones,

Maamoondi
(this title was bestowed upon me by Sri TNS)
mohan

That quote from 'Maamoondi' has enough info for you. I am reposting this since it was lost in the computer disaster we had. We will have the benefit of him as well as other well known Laya experts in this learning experience. Please enrich our learning with your own expertise too and let us not waste more time recapping the CVs!

ajit

Post by ajit »

Param,
Can you please put the last couple of minutes of the song(or the korvai the main perform performs) before leaving for Thani in your audio clips.

thanks,
ajit.

chithra

Post by chithra »

Dear Param:

What you are doing for us all is indeed a monumental task. It is indeed very hard to teach any art in this cyber mode.

If I may make a suggestion - would you mind uploading clips of your own playing the Mrudangam - SLOWLY, with the basic sounds of Tha, Dheem, Nam , Chappu etc, and identifying them as such when you strike the Vaadhyam. By repeated listening, our ears and mind will get conditioned to deciphering the sollus. After the basic sounds, perhaps we can move on to the, "Tha kita, dhee kita, Nam kita" etc. Perhaps you will not have to write much descriptive stuff even - just give us listening exercises, and just tell us the sollus you are playing. It is much like teaching music - begin with basic Swaravli, and move on to Geethams etc.

Please ignore this post if it is does not agree your own syllabus and plan of delivery. Many thanks again,

chithra

param

Post by param »

CML and others,

Before we move on with the serious stuff, what if, based on the various kind of requests being received, a short term course - the very basic course is first done - spread for a maximum period of say 3-5 weeks?

During this period, all uploads will comprise mainly of sound files describing each stroke and picture files - digitized photographs explaining how each sound stroke is played. What I propose to do is to enlighten you with sounds of the basic lessons - slowly moving on to farans, periya mohras, korvais, nadais, etc. keeping in mind that a max period of 5 weeks will be devoted to this. Please advise if this is acceptable - thereafter we could move on to the usual stuff.

Many thanks and do keep the posts coming

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Param
Iam fine by your plan. Lets see what others have got to say...

param

Post by param »

I am also waiting for a nod from everyone - only thereafter do I propose to plan my way through this. No point getting ready - putting in all efforts - and things go in vain - right?

CML, DRS, VK, Meenaji, Ravi, K ji, Sriram, etc. - Please contribute your views

chithra

Post by chithra »

Hi Param:

Your plan sounds good. If you could keep the speed of the sollus slow so we can follow them, that would be helpful.

A suggestion: some tape players (esp walkman kind) have the ability to slow music down so we can decipher fast and difficult passages for learning purposes. I am sure there are software that do a similar job. Is is possible to put some Thani Avarthanams through these slowing-down mechanisms so we can grasp the structure and the sollus when we eventually get to the Thanis?

chithra

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Param:

The sound file idea of basic sollus is great. You can then follow it up with how they are used to put together the various talas. Initially Adi, rUpakam, kanda chApu and misra chApu. And please make sure, at least initially, that the sound file matches exactly the sollus that you describe and does not contain anything extraneous. Otherwise you will be busy fielding student-support questions forever ;)

With respect to Chithra's idea of slowing down, I also think it will be useful. Freeware programs like Audacity can do this well, so if such a need arises, one of us can post the slowed down version tagging it as such.

chithra

Post by chithra »

Param Guruji:

How come no further lessons?

chithra

param

Post by param »

Chitra,

could you send your mail ID at kutchery@gmail.com. Thanks

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Chithra,
Windows Media Player comes with a built-in speed control which enables you to play a music file at different speeds: normal, less than normal and higher than normal speeds.
This might serve your purpose.

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

Music

Post by Music »

I would love to join too. Is the school still on? Hope I didn't miss the bus...

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

param

I too am interested in the lessons. I did undergo some basic mridangam training and love the subject. Let me know please in case I am to go through any basics

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi all,

Param has conveyed his non-willingness to participate any longer. So someone else has to volunteer in replacing him.

bhanugarimella

Post by bhanugarimella »

paramji,

Can u please include me in the last as well. I have been learning carnatic for the last 5 years.

Thanks
B

arasi

Post by arasi »

bhAnugrimella,
Did you notice that srikris (administrator) says in his post that there won't be any more classes from param?

mridangam.master

Post by mridangam.master »

I am from Bombay and teach mridangam and ghatam.
I am ready help where possible (time permitting) especially since the questions raised herein are - how does one break up a tani avarthanam - i.e. how does a proper tani begin and how does one know that this is the end - especially indicators that the main artiste will restart the main lines of the song - or atleast a short tune to allow the listeners know that he is not lost :)
Is this what u look out for - or am I lost too :) :)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Yep that's what is wanted :)

gsabari

Post by gsabari »

param wrote:Dear All,

I am immensely moved by what I got to hear from you all - Thank you very much for your support.

As desired I will start uploading text and information about links from April 14 onwards. Links will be sent to those who desire it by e-mail ONLY. It could be from both Commercial and Non-Commercial recordings. However, since this is being used ONLY for the purpose of EDUCATION - I do not think we are committing any offence.

Look forward to your unstinted support always. Thank you once again.

Parameswaran Iyer
irdgr8@yahoo.com
Shri.Paramji,

I am also interested.I learnt mrudhangam for 2 years under late Shri.Thanjavur Rajam Iyer(Desciple of Shri.Mrudhangam Vaidhyanadha Iyer ).I love very much Carnatic music.My father is a good singer.Kindly consider my case.

My email-id: carnatic.gsm@gmail.com

Have a wonderful day

thanks
GanesanSabarivasan