arulseya

Rāga related discussions
tabla369

Post by tabla369 »

Hi,
re:arulseya
anyone know whether this is a composition, raga or both? I've got a recording of U Srinivas playing it (album:modern mandolin maestro). The composer is Kavi Kunkira-Bharati.

any info (lyrics, raga etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
E

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

AFAIK, aruL seiyya vENDum is a composition in the rAga rasikapriya by SrI kOtISwara aiyer...who was kavi kunjara bhAratI's grandson (and disciple) - hence the former's mudra is kunjaradAsan...

aruL seyya vENDum
raagam: rasikapriyaa

72 rasikapriya mEla
Aa: S R3 G3 M2 P D3 N3 S
Av: S N3 D3 P M2 G3 R3 S

taaLam:
Composer: KOTeeshwara Aiyyar
Language: Tamil

pallavi

aruL seyya vENdum ayyA(nI) arasE murugayyA (nI)

anupallavi

maruL uravE ennai mayakkiDum mAyaval iruL aravE jnAna sUriyan ena vandOr sol
(aruL)

caraNam

nilaiyA kAyam ilaiyE idanai nilai enru eNNuvadena mAyam
enrunaiyE ninaindu nAn uyya nEsha kavi kunjaradAsa rasikapriya
(aruL seyya)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Thanks for the lyrics (on behalf of the one who requested it too).

The charaNam line puzzles me. Could it be nilayAm kAyam illaiyE? Because nilai Ana kAyam idu ilaiyE, idanai nilai enRu eNNuvadu follows. nilaiyAm=nilay Ana.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

it is 'nilayaa kaayam idhaye'

naaree

Post by naaree »

chalanata wrote:it is 'nilayaa kaayam idhaye'
It is nilayA kAyam ilayE idhanai nilai endrennuvadhenna (endru+ennuvadhenna) mAyam

Literally meaning...it (what ever it is) is not an everlasting wound and treating it as one is puzzling

NS

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
It is nilai illAda = nilayA, as chalanata says...It is indeed mAya to consider this mortal coil (of ours) as permanent...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Naree,
our posts crossed...it is kAyam, which means body, and not gAyam which is a wound...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Why the double negative then? NillayAda kAyam ilaiyE? enRAl, adu nilaikkum kAyam Agi viDumE?
nilayA kAyam ilaiyO?--is a rhetorical question, and that would fit.
Or,
nilayA kAyam idaiyE (as chalanata points out--not ilayE) nilai ena.
Or, is the mind de moi on an idle mode?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
S. Rajam sings this as: nilayA kAyam illaiyE; idanai nilaiyendruennuvadu ena mAyam....(looks like the composer is iterating that he is but mortal, and goes on to say that to assume one is immortal would be folly)

(Reminds me of the kalyANa pATTu - 'kannUnjal ADi irundAl kAnchanamAllai manam magizhndAL' - for years I searched for a reference where pArvatI/mInAkshI is referred to as kAnchanamAla...then, listening to P Sivan's kIravANI composition, dEvi nIyE tuNai, clarified matters for me: it was 'kannUnjal ADi irundAL; kAnchanamAlai manam magizhndAL' - seeing her daughter (mInAkshI) and her groom on the Unjal, makes the mother (kAnchanamAla) delirious).

Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
We can learn something here. Exciting are the discoveries one makes in the beauty of lyrics. It happens at times, even with verses we have lived with for years. That's because they are works of bhArathi, Shakspeare and others. You cannot rule out Unjal pATTu composers either!
Last edited by arasi on 31 Dec 2006, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The importance of punctuation: Now this is a detour, but maybe pertinent to lyrics in musical compositions as well! The old example to demonstrate the importance of punctuation used to be: 'I saw a dead buffalo walking across the road' where the comma is missing...Here is a more contemporary one with too many commas:
A panda after reading a poorly written handbook went into a restaurant, ordered a burger, and after eating it, whipped out a gun, shot a bullet into the ceiling and left. At the police station, he points to the handbook as the explanation for his behavior: The first sentence reads, 'A panda eats, shoots, and leaves'!