Rare ragas: Comparison of compositions of Lalgudi Jayaraman with others

Rāga related discussions
rasikapriya.raji

Rare ragas: Comparison of compositions of Lalgudi Jayaraman with others

Post by rasikapriya.raji »

I am pursuing my M.Phil in music and I propose to study the use of rare ragas in the compositions of Shri.Lalgudi Jayaraman. Rare ragas like: pahadi, mandhari, saradhabharanam, gandharvamanohari, varamu, uthari, manohari, rageshri, hamsaroopini.

I am looking for materials relating to these ragas and also about the compositions of other vaggeyakaras in these ragas (for comparative study). Ragas being rarely used, materials on them are also very rare to find !

If anyone could help it would be very nice.

Thanks in anticipation. Rasikariya.raji

bhakthim dehi

Re: Compositions in rare ragas by Lalgudi Jayaraman

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Mandhari and manohari (Janya of 22) were used by Sri Thyagaraja svamy. There is also a krithi in mandhari by PSI.
Sharadabharanam was handled by Thiruvotriyur Thyagayyar.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Rasikapriya, you can include rasikapriya in your set of ragas. There is a Jatiswsram by LGJ in rasikapriya and it is a relatively rare raga
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0CDYv0o5Hc )

Mandari has compositions by Vasudevachar, Muthiah Bagavatar, Tyagaraja and Patnam Subramanya Iyer. Check out Sangeethapriya for recordings of all these composers' songs.

SriKrishnan

Post by SriKrishnan »

If you are referring to "Pavanan Niye" in Uttari and "Alavai" in Manohari , both are compositions of Sri lalgudi Gopala Iyer, father of Sri lalgudi Jeyaraman.