Sangeetha Sivakumar at Asthika Samajam, 25 Nov 06

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
vijay

Post by vijay »

Notwithstanding the injustice of it, the sight of a brilliant but under-recognized artist singing her heart out to an empty audience is not without a certain plaintive appeal. Sangeetha Sivakumar/Krishna's music would probably not appeal to perfectionists - hardly an item passes by without a little vocal slip here or a missed akshara there...nor is she likely to get any attention from the masses that flock to listen to many of her female contemporaries - for she has neither a dulcet voice nor an array of racy tukkadas to offer. That leaves her core following to a small bunch of rasikas whose musical quest is primarily defined by creativity and passion. The audience of about 25 at Asthika Samajam was treated to the following musical treasures:

1) Rupaka Tala Tamil Song in Hamsadhwani with Swaras
2) Yagnathulu - Thyagaraja - Adi - I've seen this labelled Jayamanohari in some articles but it sounded no different from Sriranjani to me
3) Eti Janma (Varali, Misra Chapu, Thyagaraja) with Alaapana
4) Mamava Sada - Kaanada - Rupakam - Swathi Thirunal - Swaras
5) Thyagaraja Yoga Vaibhavam - Ananda Bhairavi - Rupakam - Deekshitar
6) Nenarunchi Nanu - Malavi - Adi - Thyagaraja
7) Emi Neramu - Sankarabharanam - Adi - Thyagaraja (RNST)

Team - SAngeetha Sivakumar, RK Shriramkumar (Violin), Melakaeri Balaji (Mrudangam) & BS Purushottaman (Kanjira)

There may have been a varnam - I was slightly late and entered as some blistering swaras in Hamsadhwani were underway. Yagnathulu and the Varali alaapana were unremarkable but Eti Janma was sung in an unhurried manner, with the rhythm department contributing substantially. Mamava Sada was followed by a long session of swaras which would have ended in a stunning climax but for the singer getting so carried away that the korvai ended a karvai or two short. RK Shriramkumar showed more restraint and sailed home effortlessly. Earlier in the song, there was also a bit of a mix-up in the pallavi and charanam lines.

The Ananda Bhairavi that followed was the highlight of the concert - absolutely delectable. The communication of Deekshitar's grand vision of the raga in such an effective manner must say something about the artist's involvement with her art...just for that rendition, this concert ranks as one of the best I have heard this year.

The Sankarabharanam was no mean effort either and the alaapana was probably the best I have heard since Vijay Siva's glorious essay for Manasu Swadheena at BHarath Kalachar 2 years back. Despite the heaviness of her voice, Sangeetha manages to slip in some unexpectedly lively brighas, perhaps to suggest an otherwise unlikely association with the GNB school. A rare Thyagaraja was duly presented but with due rerspect to the Saint, it seemed to be an almost note for note replica of Enduku Peddala except perhaps for the Anupallavi...Swaras in the first speed were rich and delicious but during the second speed, the sruti seemed slightly out of kilter.

RKS was at his supreme best throughout the concert except for one screech during the Sankarabharanam alaapana - hardly something to complain about in a carnatic concert but coming from the finest fiddle-wielder in the business, it almost shocked me! Haunting the vocalist like a shadow - barely audible during the song, yet springing into his own with some startling insights and counterpoints at every possible opportunity, Shriramkumar must be a delight as much for the singer as for us in the audience.

The audio system being what it was (big boom-boxes of the sort that can commonly be seen in Chennai's wedding halls), my appreciation of the percussionists' effort was reduced to pattern recognition. In the end I did not do a particularly good job of that either. The mohra was in a nadai I could not follow and the korvai was long and altogether beyond my comprehension.

I would have liked to stay back for a possible Padam but one of my clients had started getting particularly intrusive with his messages. Anyway, the concert was worth every word of the mouthful he had waiting for me!

Those in Chennai would do well to listen to some of her concerts during the season.

Vijay

gundakriya

Post by gundakriya »

Jayamanohari is Shriranjani without the Nishadam in Arohanam.

More info, refer:
http://carnatica.net/special/raganubhava-saj-i.htm

prashant

Post by prashant »

Very nice review, Vijay!

scheduler

Post by scheduler »

vijay,
Nice review . jayamanOhari has aarohanam of aabhogi and avarOhanam of shree ranjani. The krithi is yajnaadulu sukhamanu

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Sangeetha Sivakumar is a really talented artist with a lot of potential. I agree that it is very sad that she isn't being given more opportunities like her husband.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks all, for the corrections and kind words....