M N Hariharan

Carnatic Musicians
nlvraghavendra

Post by nlvraghavendra »

im a student of MN Hariharan..im learning mridangam from him for the past 7 yrs......the important thing is we dont have a definite setup for each thalam......we compose our own things ....this is the important thing.....every mridangist should be creative and should not always play same set ofvarieties in each and every concerts......we have composed over 1000 varieties for mrisra koraipu ..... mridangists can reply and those who r interested can reply......we have answers for korvais for any thalam , any place, any nadai for any song....i expect a hot discussion......

Update: I have changed the mail to lower case
Last edited by nlvraghavendra on 03 Nov 2006, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi, please dont type everything in upper case. It is like "shouting".

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

Nlv : I am happy that you have N Varieties for Misra koraippu. Will you be able to play what ever you have composed in concerts? I don’t think so. Everybody composes and they make sure that they play one specific set in 5-10 concerts to make sure that the Plan reaches the audience and gets into their mind and soul.

I agree that there are people who play only one Plan over their lifetime, but don’t take them into consideration now. It’s not the topic of discussion.

>>>WE DONT HAVE A DEFINTITE SETUP FOR EACH THALAM......WE COMPOSE OUR OWN THINGS

I strongly disagree with this. If you don’t have definite setup or a plan, I don’t think the thani avarthanam will be good and it will be like dislocated chunks rather than a tree with proper branches.

I hope everybody (if not everybody at least most) knows about Art of Programming (Computer science) and I am sure that everybody knows about music in this forum.

Let me take a simple / Very simple / Very Very simple example One with a C Program and another with Music:

Lets Try to Add two numbers.
Steps involved in this are, Declaring the Variable, Assigning the variable with a value, and then process the same.
main ()
{
int x, int y, int z;
x=10;
y=20;
z=x+y;
}

Declaring a Variable is like taking a Syllable (Sorkattu).
Do some Magic with the Syllable is like assigning values to them.
a. Play in different ways
b. Play with some Abhiprayams
c. Play in different Tempo/Nadai
Finally, Playing a Korvai with the same syllable is like processing the output.

If you hear top artists for example KRM, TNS (For EXAMPLE ONLY)"¦ the Swara/Abhiprayams patterns will be follow evenness from the start to the Final. Then finally the korvai will also follow the same.

Just playing a Koraippu and Korvai alone doesn’t mean that one is a great Mridangist. The main aim is that it should reach to the people, and it should be in proper format and on top of it aesthetic sense should not get disturbed at all.

I don’t know how this can be achieved with having 1000s of korvais and korappus in hand. It will be useful when we sit at home or play for a fullnight Radhakalyanam or when we practice for hours together. It will be a real challenge to counter-attack. I don’t deny that we should be ready with ammunitions, we should know how to use, when to use and what to use. We all know that we are not getting paid for our brains, but we get paid on how much and how apt we use it. Right! J

>>WE HAVE ANSWERS FOR KORVAIS FOR ANY THALAM , ANY PLACE, ANY NADAI FOR ANY SONG

I clearly agree to that, but don’t you think that this is a basic prerequisite for all the laya Vidwans. Mridangam playing is not just for the Thani avarthanam. It is not also just playing for pallavi or just play different aruthis. It should be pertinent to the song,
Each artist has his or her own way of singing the song. (Thani avarthanam can be played to our wish).

Apart from knowing all korvais/aruthis, the main and decisive factor is how much we practice, how much we hear, the hard work we put, the effort we put and finally the application that speaks out the obvious one.

Regards
Sriram J. Iyer

nlvraghavendra

Post by nlvraghavendra »

oh.....my God.....u have totally mistaken me.....im very worried tat totally misunderstand me......
first i will once again try to explain what im trying to say.......

1. 1000 varieties we have

what im trying to say is plz think innovatively........i completely accept u that practicing
regularly is the first and foremost basic criteria for becoming a good mridangist.
But at present you can see lots of / lots and lots of/ lots and lots and lots of mridangists who are good in execution but very very bad in calculation.
That's why i say if u are able to think innovatively every kacheri can produce new things to laya rasikas

2. We dont have a definite setup for each thalam

i meant that dont have a traditional very old setup for each thalam ..... that means same varieties.

i will give u a very good example ...u can see the below korvai played in kanda nadai.....in 99.9% of the katcheris.....(if kanda nadai is played...)

tha, thi, thakita thom, thathikita thom
thi, thakita thom, thathikita thom
thakita thom, thathikita thom thathikita thom thathikita thom ;
thathikita thom thathikita thom thathikita thom ;
thathikita thom thathikita thom thathikita thom ||
i want this situation to be changed.....every thing should be new in each and every katcheri.......definitely it is possible ...... we can create new things....tats why i mentioned that we have created 1000 varieties for misra kuraippu.........i think u have taken that very simple ....its very very difficult.........we have been doing for the past 3 years...

3. WE HAVE ANSWERS FOR KORVAIS FOR ANY THALAM , ANY PLACE, ANY NADAI FOR ANY SONG

you should clearly notice that i said we have answers......
can u answer me for a simple very simple question.......if u have "korvais made easy" book by our sir u can answer......

question: can u tell me the total mathirais of a korvai which can be played three times , first time in 5 [kanda] nadai , second time in 7 [misra] nadai and third time in 6 [thrisra mel kala] nadai in adi thalam which will finish after 2 mathirais from the samam......that means 2 thalli.............

...............eagerly waiting for ur reply..................

regards
NLV
Last edited by nlvraghavendra on 03 Nov 2006, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

First Matter , Aprom Meter :-)
I haven’t read "Korvais made Easy", But then let me give a shot on your question
Assumptions : Korvai will be played once in Kanda Nadai, Once in Misra Nadai, Once in thisra nadai, and will come to 2 mathrais after samam (leaving 4 mathrais on the first akshram)

Answer : 3850 Mathrais.

Could you please define what is innovation?

Innovation does not depend only on Kanakku, It depends on how we present them. Just playing kanakku doesn’t mean one person is a good mridangist. Just knowing the kanakku and telling ppl about this is no BIG DEAL AT All.

Before doing all these, Try doing padanthram of all the varnams and thillanas first, try learn to play for Paatu (Songs), aprom kanakkuku polaam.

The first and basic thing for mridangam is “Paatukku Amarthuthal”.. Nothing can be done if this fails. All the stalwarts have come to this stage only after playing for Songs and then showing their caliber in thaniavarthanam.

Definite setup for each thalam?

That is what they have learnt and they are mastering on what they have learnt. It’s so simple to compose a korvai and to play on the stage. I am telling you “IT IS DAMN ***** simple to compose a korvai on the spot and play it, but the main thing is the esthetic sense should not be disturbed. If there is not esthetics then the whole point of play a korvai is just debris.

Questions to your Question:

Though I have given an answer, I have few queries on your question.

1. Do you play 5,6,7 or 5,7,6. I am not sure how you play, but to my knowledge, I have been playing 5,6,7 all these days and that is what I was taught. What is the symmetry involved in 5,7,6. Please explain.

2. Let me ask the same question, how will you play the same korvai, with a perfect symmetry with the base as 5,6,7 and not getting into fractional elements (SAMATHULENDU RENDU THALLI VARANUM).

3. a. what is the Eduppu referring to, is it 2 mathrais in Thisra Gathi or chatursra gathi ?. If its thisram then it means that you have 4 balances for the first Aksharam. Is that what are you referring?

b. I am not sure if you have any song that starts after 2 mathrais in Aadi talam (leave Birana Brova Ide and other songs of the same type, where it comes under Thisra gathi, we will not be able to play Kandam or misram)

c. If you are planning to play for songs that start after 2 mathrais (chatursram) then this korvai will not suit, since 2 mathrais is going to be under the thisra gathi, If we need to play this korvai, it should come after 3 mathrais from samam (which can be treated as ½ aksharam for Chatursram).

d. Tell me one place where we can play this. I am really eager to know if you can play this korvai for any of the songs (in thaniavarthanam). I need the song and the composer.

e. Leave it for playing for the songs, What about thani avarthanam? What do you call this KORVAI as, is it for Thisra gathi, Or for chatusra Gathi . Misra gathi and Kanda gathi are ruled out (failing to the rule of thumb). I am asking you this because you said that it has to come after 2 mathrais.

Basically, the question itself is wrong, there is no point in answering to this question. This will mislead all the laya rasikas, only because of that I have answered to this topic. There is no point in playing this korvai without knowing the talam. Please ask questions properly first, then you can go for changing the music fields current situation.

“i want this situation to be changed..” …. Please change your attitude first my boy! I know you have spent 3 precious years on finding patterns for 1000s and 1000s varieties of misra korappu and kanda korappu, but the basement itself is not strong. What will you do with an uncorroborated building?

Please understand, be a fibonocci series or music or any kind, it should fall under “GOLDEN MEAN”, it should never be MEAN. You know what I mean.

Regards
Sriram J. Iyer
-Carnatic Music Turns Me On

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

Suppose if you want it for Athi taalam Arai edam (Chatursra nadai then), you have thousands of answers
it stars from 14175 mathrais to N mathrais
Again the regularity is screwed here!!! 5,7,6... not acceptable.

Regards
Sriram J. Iyer

nlvraghavendra

Post by nlvraghavendra »

hey.....man...just i want ur phone number...can u give me...plz........i am very bored of typing.........

i want to tell u one thing....

"Do you play 5,6,7 or 5,7,6. I am not sure how you play, but to my knowledge, I have been playing 5,6,7 all these days and that is what I was taught. What is the symmetry involved in 5,7,6. Please explain."

dont blindly follow what u were taught.......plz give me ur phone number...i am eager to speak with u.......and ... u r answer is completely absurd...first think logically...and then think technically.........
Last edited by nlvraghavendra on 03 Nov 2006, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

nlvraghavendra

Post by nlvraghavendra »

9444019123 ..is this ur number..can i call u....?? plz reply...

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

14175 is correct... I can prove too :)

Oh man! lets not debate on the 5,6,7 and 5,7,6 issue,If you feel that its right I am sure that its a baseless argument, I think we need to shut it just right here...I am ready to speak, but if you feel that there is no difference between 5,6,7 and 5,7,6.. then there is no point in arguing...

We have to have some rules while playing and your question itself doesnt have any rules. You have to follow rules and regulations otherwise anybody can play anything, whatever comes to their mind and on their hand.

moreover, My answer will work without Fractions and i dont know whats yours.

To me, Rules are important, and if you want to "Break the Rule", yes you do it.. But i am not the person to digest it.

Let others also understand what we talk.. Lets Finish this topic here!
Thats my number...Very much!

Regards

rrao13

Post by rrao13 »

Friends: I believe that Karnatik Music is orthodox, traditional and enjoyed by Ladies and Gentlemen. Hence I feel uncomfortable with the usage of certain predominantly western phrases such as "Oh Man" or "Hey Man". To me, such phrases sound jarring especially when seen on a dignified, divine website such as Rasikas.org. I am sure there are ways that people can agree to disagree without resorting to American slang. All of us know that the knowledge of music is endless and there will be different opinions and beliefs. I think we should respect each individual and not allow our expressions become somewhat less than gentle, But then, I am an old fogey with ancient beliefs - so you may just laugh off this outpouring!. Just some humble thoughts for your kind consideration.

Also, I think it is a shade risky to exchange personal identification data like phone numbers, email addresses etc., on a public message board.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

how about restricting our outbursts only to UPPER CASES!
Hi! Hi!
Last edited by chalanata on 25 Oct 2006, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

rrao:dear sir, sorry for using such words in this forum. it wont come in my post again.
nlv:you hv not answered, why my answer is wrong. infact i hv composed a korvai too ;p. moreover you hv not answered to many of my queries. if you find that they are trivial leave it.

rrao:regarding differences of opinion all should hv the mind set to understand the concept of "Agree to diagree". then somany problems will get resolved.

regards

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Shouldn't this thread be in Tala section?

nlvraghavendra

Post by nlvraghavendra »

sorry aj sriram.......u only told that lets stop this topic ....i think u was frustrated..tats why i dint answer.........secondly.....i checked out the answer 14175....but i only checked that 3850........k...another thing........if it is rite.....can u imagine that it is possible to play such a big big korvai....think.....try to find a small answer ....it is possible.....i have a very small answer......try........

rrao: sorry sir for my mistake.....i will make sure it wont happen again...

regards
Last edited by nlvraghavendra on 03 Nov 2006, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

To Explain My Answer :

Proof for 14175 Mathrais:

Thisram : 2835 Mathrais

Kandam : 5670 Mathrais

Misram : 5670 Mathrais

Total comes to 1134+810+472 Aksharams + 3 Mathrais
(Mathrais / 8 Aksharams)

Total Aksharam: 2416 (Sum of Aksharams)

Total Avarthanam : 302 (inclusiove of Kandam , misram, thisram)

Question: can u tell me the total mathirais of a korvai which can be played three times, first time in 5 [kanda] nadai , second time in 7 [misra] nadai and third time in
6 [THISRA MEL KALA] nadai in adi thalam which will finish after 2 mathirais from the samam......that means 2 thalli.............

Since it’s said clearly that korvai should be played in thisram mel kalam (Discrepancy is that you have mentioned 6, and said mel kalam).

>>>can u imagine that it is possible to play such a big big korvai.

Korvai is Ready, tell your mail id, I will send the MP3 file.

>>>>>.think.....try to find a small answer ....it is possible.....i have a very small answer......try........

Answer : 945

Proof For 945 Mathrais

Thisram : 315 Mathrais

Kandam : 315 Mathrais

Misram : 315 Mathrais

Total comes to 63+45+52 Aksharams + 3 Mathrais
(Mathrais / 8 Aksharams)

Total Aksharam: 160 (Sum of Aksharams)

Total Avarthanam : 20 (inclusiove of Kandam , misram, thisram)

Btw, I never get frustrated when it comes to music. I get thrilled when it comes to Layam subjects.

I am frustrated because your question is wrong.

First you said, Thisram Mel kala nadai, It should be thisram that’s it!

I am frustrated because your approach is wrong.

Why the approach is wrong?

When it comes to korvai, if you play it in any order it should be apt and balanced. If we compose korvai like this, you can play in only one order and not in any other order.

You will never be able to play 5,6,7 for these kind of korvais and its absurd.

Nlv, Simple formula will lead to so many patterns, but then we need to analyze which pattern is best and should also abide to rules and regulations.

>>>i want this situation to be changed.....every thing should be new in each and every >>>katcheri.......definitely it is possible ...... we can create new things....tats why i >>>mentioned that we have created 1000 varieties for misra kuraippu.........i think u have >>>taken that very simple ....its very very difficult.........we have been doing for the past 3 >>>years..

I am sorry to say this, the question itself is absurd, if the solution is this then itnot possible to change.

Regards
Sriram J. Iyer
Carnatic Music Turns Me On

nlvraghavendra

Post by nlvraghavendra »

phew...... accordin to my knowledge 3 is thrisram and 6 is thrisra mel kalam........there is still smaller answer.....find it........i am totally disappointed that u have taken all my views
in exactly opposite way.........its k.......im sorry to say , i cant do anything if u intentionally opposing........k...any way........find the answer.....u are near the answer..........

regards
Last edited by nlvraghavendra on 03 Nov 2006, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

i am not asking you if my answer is correct or not, i know all the answers what i have given is correct, but it is wrong to play such korvais is my opinion.

Dont blindly follow "Korvais Made Easy" Make sure that you think before what you do :-)

nlvraghavendra

Post by nlvraghavendra »

hmm.....k...
Last edited by nlvraghavendra on 04 Nov 2006, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.