T.K.Radhakrishnan - Flute Vidwan

Carnatic Musicians
srkris
Site Admin

T.K.Radhakrishnan - Flute Vidwan

Post by srkris »

I was aware of a flute vidwan by the name T.K.Radhakrishnan (son of composer T.G.Krishna Iyer who used the mudra "Lalita Dasar"), but this is the first time I have had the opportunity to listen to his performances, thanks to someone called Venkata Krishnan on Youtube:

A very well rendered Balagopala (Bhairavi):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0S8OvKtcTw

If anyone has heard him live, please comment on this very talented flautist.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: T.K.Radhakrishnan - Flute Vidwan

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

In my opinion he was an above average flautist who unfortunately happened to be in the same era as Mali and his hordes of disciples,Ramani, N.Kesi S.P.Natarajan,T.S.Sankaran, Hyderabad Srinivasan--the Mali school virtually dominated the scene.Add to this scene Tiruppamburam Swaminatha Pilai and his disciple T.Viswa who brought their own style of playing. plus Sikkil sisters!!

In this mileu TKR just could not stand out--ofcourse he was a regular @ the AIR.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

IIRC, TK Radhakrishnan was very close to the S. Rajam family. I believe they were neighbors at some point. Perhaps VKV can add to this.

cacm

Post by cacm »

T.K.Radhakrishnan was very good & competent. But as has been pointed out by some one else here UNLESS you are in the TOP TOP RUNG there were very little chances of getting enough chances. May be two or three per year! If you have to compete with MALI EVERY ONE INCLUDING HIS SISHYAS were a VERY VERY DISTANT SECOND.So his not being known is not surprising. THERE IS what I call "INTANGIBLE" FACTOR which ONLY THESE REAL GIANTS POSSESSED.
Now a days thankfully BOTH the Artists & the Audiences are more forgiving. While many who have heard the previous generation of (especially)VOCAL musicians may be shocked at today's mediocre ones flourishing, STATISTICALLY I would like to believe SOMEBODY will break through. VKV (the prejudiced)