FAQ_addition requested_ "editing and quoting"

Troubleshooting
kunthalavarali

FAQ_addition requested_ "editing and quoting"

Post by kunthalavarali »

A member has asked for the following in another topic:

"how to edit our own posts? How to quote someone else's post to make a comment? These things were easy in the earlier format. Can someone help?"

I too have the same request. If there are more questions, perhaps it may be worthwhile revisiting the FAQ by the moderators.
Thanks.

rajeshnat

Re: FAQ_addition requested_ "editing and quoting"

Post by rajeshnat »

For your post within 3 exact days you have a chance to Edit . Click on the button that says "* EDIT", which is in the top right corner/middle in your post.

To Quote hit on the quote button that says " "QUOTE" . This is nearly in the same place as EDIT button next to the edit and report(exclamation button). I see users like CACM not using it , hope you use " "QUOTE" button also sir. Once when you hit the quote button you will have the person's text which ends with [/quote] tag . You have to type in after that. Also note if there is already one quote in a message and you hit the quote button , our forum does not support nested quote .

kssr

Post by kssr »

EDIT and QUOTE buttons do nto appear any longer for me. Only ! for report.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

Thanks rajeshnat. For the benefit of all can the info be included in the F&Q section? Thanks

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

kssr wrote:EDIT and QUOTE buttons do nto appear any longer for me. Only ! for report.
We have heard this from a few others occasionally. I know srkris was looking into this a while back.

Who else has this problem (after you logged into the site)?

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

i can also see only report button (!)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pattamma and KSSR
Could you make sure that you install chrome or firefox browser and start browsing . Also share your version of browser that you use along with OS(hope you are not using WIndows Vista with a combination of IE,it is notorious for major bugs)

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Rajesh - I use chrome Version 28.0.1500.95 m and OS - windows 7 professional

kssr

Post by kssr »

I am writing this from my iPad 2. But no buttons other than the exclamation mark.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Use Google Chrome Browser!
I am writing on my iPad 3...

Last edited by Rsachi on 02 Sep 2013, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

srkris,
Happy to say that this problem I have had for a while--and you have been trying to rectify it all along--has finally been solved! Thanks! Hope it works for others too.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I discovered the solution by trying several things.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sachi,
Wish I were half my age (to be technically with-it), or even younger. My grandsons are capable of dealing with anything technical better than I am.

Thanks srkris and moderators, I'm all set now...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Arasi, for others' benefit, can you say what you did that made the buttons show on your PC?

I have a suspicion it must have something to do with not clearing the browser cache or not logging in-out of the forum.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

not logging in-out of the forum.
For past few weeks, I find that rasikas.org regularly logs me out. The same thing happens with linuxmusicians. Both are phpBB forums, and both started doing this on the same day. Previously I had been "keep me logged in" for months and years! I did try deleting the cookies.

ps... EDIT: I have an edit button on this post

arasi

Post by arasi »

srkris,
I don't know how to explain it :(

You were patient in asking me to try doing various things over the weeks which I thought I did, and yet, I couldn't get the button back. I started getting used to the 'edit' less state, and yesterday, I was absolved by some unknown force and there the edit button was, back mysteriously as it were!

Nick,
I have also been logged out regularly, the past few weeks...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Nick, that is queer. As long as it does that only to you, I can't explain it from the server side.

When Arasi used to face a similar issue (edit button going missing etc), I think it's something to do with your browser/PC settings that makes these queer things happen. Did you upgrade your browser recently by any chance?

If you use Firefox, you can go to Tools --> Options --> Privacy and under 'History', ensure "remember history" is chosen, then click OK so the browser wont forget your cookies.