nATiya pEroLi Padmini

Classical Dance forms & related music
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/09/29/stor ... 720100.htm

My first introduction to the phenomenon that was Padmini came through a clip on oLiyum oliyum broadcast by Madras DD. The song was ‘pArkaDal alaimElE’ and between MLV and Padmini, they had me enslaved. I learned that she was one of the Travancore sisters who were bharatanATyam dancers before they entered tinsel town. My mother, who had seen them dance on stage used to reminisce about how Lalita and Ragini were probably more graceful as dancers, but it was Padmini who carried them by her sheer personality and beauty (rather lame translation of the word ‘kavarchi’). At the time when the fate of bharatanATyam was hanging by a slender thread, dancers like Padmini, Vyjayantimala, and Kamala Lakshman, and EV Saroja kept it alive in people’s minds and imaginations with their dances in movies. Granted, these numbers were faster, and technical aspects came to be blurred, but the sheer grace and breathtaking footwork captivated so many young girls. IIRC, in a program on AIR Madras many eons ago called 'rasik(g)ar tEn kiNNam', Dr. Padma Subramaniam said that the dance sequence in vanjikOTTai vAlibhan was a favorite of hers, and she used to trail around the house pretending to be a dancer"¦and lo and behold, she did become one! But, the health of bharatanATyam as a thriving art form is not attested to by the Padma Subramaniams of the world, but by the numerous little girls who were inspired by dancers like Padmini and kept, and continue to keep a host of dance teachers in business (for instance, Swapna Sundari may have revived vilAsini nATyam, but unless there is a groundswell of demand for it, and the need for teachers leading to loads of them getting trained in it, it is not going to thrive like bharatanATyam and kuchipudi are today).
Padmini and her sisters were one of the first dancers to apply their abhinaya skills honed through dancing, to their acting. As an added bonus, the choreographers for these movies were able to use complicated dance sequences with them. Many of these are screen classics, and earned her the title of 'nAtiya pErolI'!
After that intro from rAjA dEsingu, I was fortunate to see her luminous screen presence on many occasions"¦typically, the dance numbers remain etched in my memory: foremost among them of course is kaNNum kaNNum from vanjikOTTai vAlibhan; the beautiful kAnaDA piece from uttama puttiran, kAttiruppAn kamala kaNNan; ADum azhagE; ADum aruLjyOti, vAraNamAyiram; varugirAL unnai tEDi; ellAm inbamayam to name just a few. Even the non classic gypsy ones were so well done - pachchai kiLi pADudu, pakkam vandE ADudu from amara dIpam, and another all time favorite, Oh basantI pawan pAgal. I also loved the movie tUkku tUkki"¦I can visualize sundari soundari, and kurangilirundu pirandavan"¦all time, evergreen favorites! I have to say that tillAna mOhanAmbAL was NOT a movie I liked. Too much drama, too little dance, and that too, rather poor choreography.
One of the very few things I have read in tamizh (thanks to coaching from Nannan, also from Madras DD) is her autobiography/take on her career in movies serialized in maNian’s ‘idayam pESugiradu’ very aptly titled ‘ellAm inbamayam’. It made for a nice glimpse into the world of tamizh movies in ‘those’ times.
It was sad to read about her death. Hopefully, wherever she is, ‘taraiyil amarndu rAdhai uruvam varaindu konDu kaNN urangAmal kAttiruppAn kamala kaNNan', or should I say, rAmachandran?
May her soul rest in peace!
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nice encomium Shankar. I saw the movie 'vEthALa ulakam' where she was a debutante over ten times. Then in 'maNamakaL' she proved that she was an actress too! Her acting in 'maNgayar thilakam' was superb. Though times have changed her type of acting during the golden era of Tamil movies is unforgettable. While at New York she has trained a lot of dancers in NA. Her contribution to the Arts will never be forgotten!

May her soul rest in peace!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks CML for reminding me of 'maNgayar tilakam' - beautiful movie indeed (remade in Hindi as 'bhAbhI kI chUDiyAn' with Meena Kumari, with an unforgettable song - bhAbhi karE appeal, aur phir dEvar banE vakIl). vietnAm vIDu was also a nice movie...
Ravi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Excellent writeup-ravi .
Nice url that talks about her first passion(dance).

http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2006/sep/25padmini1.htm

arasi

Post by arasi »

laLLI, pappi, rAgi as they were called, on the few occasions I saw them as youngsters were a dynamic trio. One occasion comes to focus. It was the cradling ceremony of the son of the great MLV--their neighbor and close friend. The sisters were moving back and forth between their two houses--Lalitha and Padmini in beautiful attires of pAvADai dAvaNi (skirt and blouse and half sari). I see purples and shimmering blues--until they settled down like butterflies on the front steps of MLV's house with us. The very picture of exuberant youth--Padmini the princess, the idol of my little cousin. my cousin: you look like a kiLI (parrot) Padmini-(in her malayALam soaked voice): you look like a kuruvi (sparrow) my cousin: you look like a mayil (peacock) and on it went. Lalitha seemed to me introspective but very lively (soon she was to establish that she was an excellent actress). Padmini was sheer beauty (acting blossomed in her slowly and with the inspiration of co starring with the great Sivaji). Ragini was the clown and the baby, Yet they all shared a quality of dynamic existence. With all the vivacity, there was a simplicity and a no-nonsense air about them. Film stars are made, shaped and glamorized. These were naturals. Padmini reached the pinnacle of fame, stayed a favorite among fans and went on to lead a life of dedication to dance. Wish she had lived longer to have savored her life after relocating in India.
Saluting a beauty who made her life more beautiful by going beyond the quality of its being only skin deep...
Last edited by arasi on 01 Oct 2006, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Arasi for those vivid recollections!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arassi,
Those are indeed very colorful reminiscences...
Thanks for sharing.
Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
I was inspired by your wonderful essay:)

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

Wow... until I read Ravi's post, I had no idea of Padmini Aunty's passing. Nice write-up Ravi. I will always remember the moments I had with her when she spoke at my arangetram a few years ago. It is unfortunate that she did not have longer in Chennai... but then again, it is good she passed there. Her health has been failing for a while now, and it would have truly been a shame if she had gone before having had the chance to return.

I'm being repetitive but yes, may her soul rest in peace.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Will someone fortunate to record this program http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/news/200609 ... admini.asp be charitable enough to share it?
Ravi