Tālam & Layam related topics
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

What are these?

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks meena. But any idea on why they are called melakarta talas and have the same name as the melakarta ragas?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

srkris
I had seen the details of these 72 tALas in a tamizh book (tALadIpikai or something like that). Meena has already posted the details. I dont have it with me now. But these 72 tALas seem to have been created for the sake of the 72 mELas, to go with their names. Al though I dont see why anyone should go to such lengths. the aShTOttara Sata(108) tALas and the 120 tALas on the other hand are known from ancoent times and find place in many ancient treatises.

Does anyone know where 72 tALas are mentioned?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Got it! The 72 mELakarta tALas were invented by one "mANikka mudaliyAr" (mANikka modalAru). In the book "gAnabhAskaramu" (Dont know the author. It is a very old book), the above person in credited with the invention. Giving the exact telugu words here
gAnabhAskaramu wrote:mELakarta rAgamulaku gala vELlanu oka vicitra kaTapayAdi lekkacE bhAginci vAniki sankhyala nErparaci, A sankhyalatO vacceDi angamulanu A nAmamulaku tALAngamuluga cErci 72 tALamulanu kalpinci vIniki samakaLA paTTikanu siddhamujEsi pracurinciyunnAru
Kiran, kindly translate this for the benefit of everyone.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

In general this is what the above sentence means..
vELla(A different kind numbering for melakartha raagas) have been divided by KaTapayAdi numbering system and the resulting numbers have been considered as angas for which names have been given thus generating 72 taalas which were tabulated and used for publication.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

kiransurya wrote:DRS something is missing in here.
Nothing is missing Kiran.Not even a word. Im just transcribing from the book.

And it is vELa not vELi. In vELlanu, the second "l" is the lower case of L and not the upper case of "i".

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Cheers. I have edited my post to vELa now

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks DRS for the information. I have that VCD set by T.K.Murthy. I thought the video recording (not the demonstration) was quite amateurish for it to be a commercial recording, which it is.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

srkris
Thats news! Now can you share with us what you learnt from the VCD.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Haha,

I couldnt learn anything because I didnt understand it one bit. The last time I watched it was about 2-3 years back :(

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear Sirs, In the annals of our music literature there are only two books in which serial numbers are furnished to some of the Talas and they are 1) Sangita Samayasara written by Parshvadeva in Sanskrit in 13th century, just before Sangita Ratnakara and 2) Gayakalochanam written by Tacchur Singaracharya Bros, in Telugu in 1902. But some of those serial numbers are incorrect. So, Sharngadeva, the author of Sangita Ratnakara, having become unable to locate the head or tail of these serial numbers and also to avoid the embarassment of furnishing incorrect serial numbers, conveniently removed these serial numbers, but furnished a list of 120 Talas among which he named the last two Talas of them as Nihsshanka Tala and Sharngadeva Tala, which obviously reveals that anybody can bring out a rhythmical form in his name. Several lists containing hundreds of Talas are furnished by many a writers. But, except the above two, no other author had ever dared to furnish even a single Tala with its serial number to prove its authenticity. So, there is no meaning in furnishing 72 Mela Talas, 22 Shriti Talas, 35 Suladi talas or any other talas without furnishing their serial numbers. Nobody even knows that the 10th element Prastara gives out the specific serial numbers of all the rhythmical forms of the universe. I appreciate any body if he furnishes some Talas along with their specific serial numbers. The authenticity of any rhythmical form will be decided by its serial number only. For kind information of all musicians, amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 09 Oct 2006, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

duff777

Re:

Post by duff777 »

msakella wrote:22 Shriti Talas
I had not known about this system, may you tell us more?

msakella

Re: 72 Melakarta talas

Post by msakella »

Go through the sub-thread,TALAPRASTARA (Combinatorics) of the main-thread, Tala & Laya. amsharma