E Books by Sruti magazine

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
Smag

E Books by Sruti magazine

Post by Smag »

Sruti magazine has launched a series of E books

kindly log onto http://www.sruti.com and click on E books to download

Nick H

Re: E Books by Sruti magazine

Post by Nick H »

Maybe I'm getting mean in my old age, but... Rs.250 for a 37-page download?

No.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I am seeing a price of $10.00 . Nick, you can feel better ;) Mali (112 pages) and Ariyakudi (67 pages) for the same $10.00 price.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I quoted the "worst case," of course.

Smag

Post by Smag »

Thank you for your feedback.

this was done Basically to discourage piracy and also if the price is a little high users will think twice about emailing it others.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Appreciated.

My personal opinion is that the opposite is true. People do not mind paying what they see as reasonable, and will then expect others to pay too.

Of course, this is just my personal view. Some will not think the price too high, others will never pay for anything. There is no magic formula, I guess.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Smag: How does the online price compare to physical books? If the same is not available in physical form, then we have to compare it to other similar books that sell well among the CM fraternity.

I do not think an implied piracy tax on online buyers will work to reduce piracy. But I do empathize with the problem.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Smag

I understand your concern and agree that what you say will happen. But it is not going to deter people from forwarding merely because it is $10.

I have a MDR video cassette which I bought for $50 and some people who comes to know that I have it has ask for it. I give a hint that I paid for it but regardless they just ask for it to be copied. The reason I think is that since there is so much free stuff available from Sangeethapriya, they simply do not seem to think that one has to pay sometimes.

I am not marketing man and I might be talking silly. But my opinion is that if you make it really low like $1 or maybe 6 different issues for $5, people would not mind paying for it.

mohan

Post by mohan »

sramaswamy - good points, I agree. I bought the same MDR VHS tape and paid a lot to get a PAL version shipped from USA. Now it can be seen on youtube!

I am a Sruti subscriber and have been since the 1980s. It will be great if Sruti offered a password protected online version via subscription (and free for current print version subscribers) .. it will make it easier to access. Almsot all journals are available electronically nowadays.

Also, is there a comprehensive index of past Sruti editions? I still have nearly all the print versions and would love an index to be able to pinpoint specific articles.