Unrecognised musicians

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arunk
Look at the url http://www.answers.com/topic/s-balachander-1
Go to the title "Feud with Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer" and incidentally there is a handwritten IndianExpress note of balachandar .
Last edited by rajeshnat on 11 Sep 2006, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks rajeshnat. To dispute a historical figure who lived not that long ago - yikes! Unless one has some "evidence", one is risking all credibility in more than one angle. I guess that perhaps explains many things.

Arun

SSK

Post by SSK »

It is interesting see only the "Sangeetha Kalanidhi" award being heavily debated. The fact of the matter is most of us remember artists by the profound impact they make on our minds every time we listen to their recordings and also by the contribution they made to music in general. Examples:
Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar (emperror of musicians's) is just fondly remembered as "Iyengar" or "IyengarVal".
Mysore T. Chowdiah is remembered as Piteelu Chowdiah.
Madhurai Mani Iyer is largely remembered as Madura (sweetness) Mani Iyer..

and the list goes on...
We hardly associate them with any title or appendage whether it is SK or whatever.. Yet all of the above artists received various awards. Infact I have heard Iyengar and Chowdiah being refered as Sangeetha Rathnakara and not SK.
It almost looks like SK is insignificant in the face of a truely great artist.
The fact that recognitions from sabhas like "Bangalore Gayana Samaja" or Vellore Sangeetha Sabha is rarely discussed on any forums, almost tells me that these may be (hopefully) are more genuine and probably more fitting for a true artist.

Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

In fact to the best of I know, Semmengudi used to be in the " Board" in MA for several years and held his sway from about 1950 to 1990 or so and had a say in deciding the SK name. I have heard from several people that he had his set of favourites and recommendations..Example TNK, TMT etc and that is why TNK got it much before Lalgudi though the world knows that Lalgudi is head and shoulders above TNK and all others. Besides there are also several stories about how Semmengudi also played a part in delaying SK to GNB by a few years...all because he considered GNB to be biggest " threat" . Also it goes that he was responsible for not allowing most of GNB's commercial recordings and that is why there are very few GNB concerts available with the carnatic music world.
This is not to say that Semmengudi was not great..he truely was a great musician but then had several shortcomings not related to music as mentioned above. I do not know if readers too have heard these but then..I guess carnatic music world and its torchbearers has not been without its line of dirt.

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

-deleted-
Last edited by Karnaticfan on 22 Nov 2006, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

i do not know about SSI but can surely vouch for presence of politics, conspiracy, hatred envy and prejudice in the CM world. to be precise it is no different from any other field as far as earthly things are concerned. probably the only redeeming factor is that the performers are chanting God's names.
as indicated by me in a different thread awards in our country are used more like wreaths.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is a write-up on Sita Rajan, a student of SSI:
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/12/08/stor ... 070300.htm

I remember the delectable pieces (posted on the Sangeetham site) of this artist and her students singing bAlasubrahmaNyam bhajEham (suruTTi)...

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Smt.Sita rajan has also a cd of the kamalamba navavaranams, sung along with her disciples. I happened to get that one when I was in chennai since I was looking for a female voice rendering the navavaranams (easier for me to sing along and learn.. not that I have gotten around to learning it.. :/ ) The renditions are just superb.
Last edited by sridevi on 09 Dec 2006, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Well, Sridevi, we'll wait for you to learn them and render them for us!

gnanasunyam

Post by gnanasunyam »

While on the subject of recognition and Titles/ Awards,

The number of titles awarded to artists is increasing by the hour- every sabha in evrry city is awarding various titles. Even the sabhas in the US have been caught up with this.

Such profusion leads to dilution of recognition. Awards have to be earned and they need to carry certain prestige.

On another note- some people have written that the awards do not matter. I hope they know what they are talking about. I am associated with sabhas in the US and I know almost all artists want to make sure that their awards and titles are promininently displayed in posters and announced during introductions. If they do not matter why would they insist on this?

manakkalsriram

Post by manakkalsriram »

When you were unknown yesterday you were a 'ZERO'. When you receive an award today you are a 'HERO'. When you are forgotten tomorrow you will be 'YAARO'.
(Just for fun).

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

Dear Jayaram

You have a valid point here. I would like to add the name of Sh.Thiruvengadu Jayaraman to this long list. He is the true torch bearer of the MMI school and brings out MMis music in its purity and pristine beauty.

Menon

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

nhmenon wrote:I would like to add the name of Sh.Thiruvengadu Jayaraman to this long list. He is the true torch bearer of the MMI school and brings out MMis music in its purity and pristine beauty.
Shri Menon - would you have any recordings of Shri Jayaraman that you can share with us?

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

Dear Jayaram,

I have a few. you need to advice me how I get them across to you as I am not familiar with this.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Shri Menon,
I sent you the instructions by email - reproduced here:
1. upload the recording (usually in mp3 format) from your computer to one of the several file-share sites. http://www.rogepost.com is a popular one. (You can find a fairly comprehensive list here - http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=30864#p30864 )
2. once the file has been uploaded, you will get a url address for the file location. Just paste the info here, so that others can download the file.

It's that simple:)

nhmenon

Post by nhmenon »

Dear Jayaram

Thanks. Will do accordingly and share the URL info.
Rgds
Menon

bala747

Post by bala747 »

Well there was always the fear that TNR might show up at the Academy in 'high spirits' and start dancing, while Mali might not show up at all!

Every year this topic comes up and the same names are dredged up, MDR, TNR, Mali, etc etc.

Folks,
For every artiste whom the MA names there will be ten people who have a view that their personal favourite has been done in by 'dirty politicking'.

The SK is only given to ONE artiste a year (with the exception of Sikkil Sisters). Going by the sheer number of artistes, there are bound to be some who get left out. Does that make them any less great? Does that make them any greater in the eyes of their fans? Not really. For example, I would attend an LGJ concert regardless of him not being an SK receipient but I would think twice about attending B Rajam Iyer's DESPITE him being one! (Or for that matter, the Sikkil Sisters. I don't see the point of paying $20 to hear the 'wind in the willows' for two hours).

It is an award, that's it. Prestigious, certainly but it should be seen with the right perspective. If one's favoured artiste is not given an SK (note to TNS fans ;) ), so what? Does that make him/her less of a musician? Artistes like MMI and MVI went by the titles given by the rasikas, rather than the usual "Sangeetha Kalanidhi", showing that at the end of the day it's the rapport with the audience that is their bread and butter and their main source of recognition. So what if some body of octogenarians don't see them fit to receive an award? How does that even factor in the appreciation of good music? If your favourite artiste is given the SK, then good. If not, so what?

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

The SK is only given to ONE artiste a year (with the exception of Sikkil Sisters)
And that's why we ended up with the unpardonable situation of just one of the Alathur brothers or the Brinda/Muktha duo getting the award - an error they rectified by the time of Sikkil sisters. And this happened precisely because of feedback from the public about their previous errors.

I see no harm in pointing out drawbacks where they exist, so that an organization can improve things for the future.

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

Has anyone heard of Srirangam Shri.Ranganathan? I once heard him in Trichy (around 10 years ago). He had a heavy voice and the pataantharam was very nice. Does someone have any info on him and any recordings of his concerts?

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Shri Govinda Swamy Naiker was a popular violinist who use to accompany Sri Madurai Mani Iyer in radio recitals ? rasikas can write any available info. on this artist ?

gumki_thatha

Post by gumki_thatha »

I am also looking for information on Shri. Coimbatore N. Ramaswamy. All I have been able to find is some 2 sentences of information (that he was a tavil vidwan initially, and he switched to mrudangam, completely self-taught, following style of PSP). Also, he was left-handed. More information would be appreciated.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

srirangam ranganathan was AIR artist Pondicherry. some of his disciples are in Pondicherry.

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

Chalanata,

Thanks for the info. Are there any recordings from his AIR concerts? Can someone please share them with us? Thank you.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

He taught several of my friends in Pondicherry, and I have heard several of his concerts for AIR Pondicherry. He was a very patient teacher...

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

rshankar,

Do you any chance have recordings of his AIR concerts? Thanks.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Unfortunately, I do not. I'll ask my friends who were his students if they do!

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

Is Sri. Srirangam Ranganathan same person as Sri Srirangam Iyengar. I seem to have a few recordings of Sri Srirangam Iyengar. If some one can confirm they are same, I can upload these.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

vasya10 wrote:Is Sri. Srirangam Ranganathan same person as Sri Srirangam Iyengar.
I think sangIta kalAnidi (1969) madurai SrIrangam ayyangAr is a different person. Still I would love to here SrIrangam ayyangAr and SrIrangam ranganAtan. I haven't heard both.

Here is a an old pic of madurai SrIrangam ayyangAr at SKGS with TNK and VGR.

http://www.krishnaganasabha.org/images/ ... sts/01.JPG

Thank you.
Last edited by ksrimech on 09 Apr 2007, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

iyengar and ranganathan are not one and the same.
in any case, vasya10, you are welcome to upload iyengar's renditions. thanks.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

IMO chengleput Renganathan was known as srirangam Renganathan initially

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

I have learnt from SrI.Srirangam Ranganathan sir for more than two years when I was doing Higher Secondary at Neyveli.
He was a disciple of sri.Sathur Krishna Iyengar(Guru of Sankara Iyer sir also) and retired as a staff artiste,Pondy AIR.

He had more than 1000 krithis in neatly notated form and it was for the purpose of giving to students;He had all them in mind.

He lived for more than 75 yeas and had a healthy and contended life.

How he taught me and how great he was,I will write at leisure and post;There is so much to tell.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

My mother also learnt from Srirangam Ranganathan Sir for sometime when we lived in Pondicherry. Only yesterday she was telling me that Neyveli's Sir pathantaram for Vallabha Nayakasya (that he taught on Jaya TV last week) was identical to hers since she learnt it from Ranganathan Sir! :)

I dont know if Neyveli Sir learnt Vallabha Nayakasya from Ranganathan Sir, but its possible I guess.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Venkatpv ji,Your mother's name please;

venravi

Post by venravi »

I have learnt from SrI.Srirangam Ranganathan sir for more than two years when I was doing Higher Secondary at Neyveli.

We know Srirangam Ranganathan sir very well. He stays in our house at Neyveli whenever he comes to Neyveli. He's my dad's friend and used to have marathon practices spanning more than 8hours in one of our friends houses. I have his picture which I will upload.
Ravi

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

Vidyaarthi, venkatpv and venravi sirs,

Do you have any concert recordings of Sri Srirangam Ranganathan? If so, can you please share it in this forum?

venravi sir, i am looking forward to his photos.

thanks.

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

Thanjavooran sir,

I think Chengelpet Ranganathan and Srirangam Ranganathan are two different musicians. I hope one of his students can confirm this.

venravi

Post by venravi »

Dear members : How to paste pictures in the forum?. Please post the details.

Srirangam Ranganathan and Chegalput Ranganathan are 2 different vidwans.
Srirangam Ranganathan passed away in 2001.

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

venravi sir,

I am not sure if there is a direct way to attach photos in this forum. You can use one of the image hosting websites such as http://imagevenue.com/ and upload the photos there. You can give the resulting link in this forum and it would appear as an image (not as a link) in the forum. Hope this helps.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

venravi,
Most of us use the website called www.tinypic.com You can go to the website ,upload the image it will give you a url ,that url you have to enclose by clicking the Img button which you find in the post reply editor .

Just in case if you have not got the above point,I would suggest you to look at any of the inline images posted hit the quote tag momentarily to see how the img tag is embedded with a url pointing to the image.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 25 Jul 2007, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

venravi

Post by venravi »

Thank you for the tips. I will upload tonight.Picture was taken at the wedding receiption held during 1990. Violin Tiruparkadal Veeraragavan and Mridangam Mannargudi Easwaran(My Guru).
I should have one more picture taken during 1980 at Neyveli during my upanayanam function.
with M.Chandrasekaran on Violin, Mylatoor Ramachandran Mridangam,Tiruvarur Krishnamurthy on Kanjira(my Guru ) .with Neyveli Santhanam playing Tambura.(I will check whether it's with me or in India).
Ravi
Last edited by venravi on 25 Jul 2007, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Is there any info available about Sri Kunnakudi Venkataraman (father of Smt Kunnakudi Bala)?

venravi

Post by venravi »

Srirangam R Ranganathan Vocal- Thiruparkadal S Veeraraghavan - Violin- Mannargudi A Eswaran Mridangam on June 9th 1990 at Chennai.

Last edited by venravi on 26 Jul 2007, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

venravi sir,

Thanks a lot for the photo. Looking forward to the upanayanam photo and possibly a concert recording???:D

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

Just found out that there is already an exclusive thread on shri.T.V.Namasivayam.

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2072

Can the mods please move all these discussions to the official thread? Thanks.

Mod Edit: The T.V.Namasivayam posts have been moved to the above referred thread. Thanks shadjam

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

There is an AIR concert of Srirangam Ranganathan (Kudanthai Balasundaram-violin and Thiruvarur Krishnamurthy - Mridangam) uploaded in the sangeethapriya website:

http://sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLOADS- ... NGANATHAN/

meeraraj

Re:

Post by meeraraj »

[quote="venravi"]
Hi Venravi
You said you have his photos taken during upanayanam . Can you pass them on. Actually Srirangam Ranganathan is my thatha - my mom's chitappa and we never had the oppourtunity to learn from him though thatha always wanted to teach us when we went to pondicherry.
It is so nice to read all of your association with him. Please do share whatever photos and details you have so that i can have them in our family tree
thank you[Update][Update]