HARIKATHAS

History, religion and culture
k.ganesan

Post by k.ganesan »

sir,
as far as i am aware, there is no word HARI KATHA in the
dictionary.as such, the word HARI, has 22 different meanings,
incl. LORD VISHNU. hari and hara are the same and harikatha,
by means of convention , denotes religious discourses.
upanyasam means LEADING SOME-ONE to something
spiritual /religious way of life.
k.ganesan

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I can't believe that you have not come across the word "Harikatha" ! The very title of this web subject is "Harikatha"!! Even "Google" has this listed !! The rest of your posting above only repeats what I had said, in different words. No room for further discussion.

k.ganesan

Post by k.ganesan »

google is not the authority. my statement on the word
HARI KATHA is from a most authentic dictionary in
sanskrit, which you may refer , please.
k.ganesan

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank you for all your replies and discussion. After mulling over Shri Sunder Rajan's explication, the forms seem more distinct from each other. They're more forms of music-dance performances like the mElaTTUr bhAgavata mELa nATaka and kathakali(somewhat adapted from harikathA).

After reading your thoughts on the word, "harikathA" (one definition available on this page: http://www.experiencefestival.com/hari-katha) I guess some words are adapted after thier colloquial acceptance in the community concerned. And yes, the word hari has many meanings.

k.ganesan

Post by k.ganesan »

hari katha is only an indicative of a STYLE ( paani in TAMIL) and it is the same whether thiru muruga kripanada variyar does about SKANDA PURANAM or EMBAR VIJAYA RAGHAVACHARIYAR does on AAZHWARS.
K.GANESAN

arasi

Post by arasi »

There are many ways of saying it in spoken tamizh: I am going to a katai, a hari katai, a kAlakshEpam, an upanyAsam. May be there are other ways of saying it too.
Sundara Rajan's expalnation makes sense.

k.ganesan

Post by k.ganesan »

hari katha doesnot imply only about lord vishnu or his avatars
as has been staed. it is only a conventional term of use for the style.
k.ganesan

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I hate to prolong this into an unnecessary discussion into semantics. Mr.Ganesan; Please reread my original posting No. 50, where I had said that Hari Katha, by extrapolation, INCLUDES OTHER devotional stories besides those about Hari. I did not quote "google" as my reference /authority, but said that I was surprised that you had not come across the term "Hari Katha", while EVEN Goole mentioned the term ! I have no desire to continue this subject anymore.

k.ganesan

Post by k.ganesan »

mr.sundara rajan,
what a guess on your part to have concluded that i am not
aware of the word HARI KATHA!!! i am thankful, HOWEVER,
that you seem to have included OTHERS ALSO in the term
HARI KATHA!? i have several GBs of HARI KATHAS and
UPANYASAMS, AT MY STORE. even now , i am listening to
SRI GOVINDA SATAKAM by SRI KRISHNA PREMI SWAMI.
K.GANESAN

delhi shankar

Post by delhi shankar »

Hariktahas - I am a new member in this group and was happy to note and see the exchange of views on Harikatha. I would like to say some thing.
This word I understand from Shri Janakiraman, an exponent in the field of Harikatha has been taken from the Maharashtra Abhangs. The reference is found in more than 10 maharashtra abhangs. Our South Indian Terminology for the same has been Katha Kaalashepam, which now has been substituted by many names a few of them are as under
1. isai peerurai
2. Musical discourse
3. Sangeetha upanyasam, etc.

Thanks
Shankar

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

To conclude, I'd say a "proprietary" name "hari (Vishnu) kathA (story)" has been looped in as a "generic" terminology to include all kinds of devotional discourses which include story telling mixed with music interludes. Fair enough?

k.ganesan

Post by k.ganesan »

shri mahakaviji,
you said it sir, the term shall not remain as a compromise!
k.ganesan

eaglesofmai

Post by eaglesofmai »

pls upload again upanyasams by balakrishna sastrigal....links r nt working :(

sudhakarks

Post by sudhakarks »

Some interesting Harikatha recordings can be found online at kalakendra.

sudhakarks

Post by sudhakarks »

eaglesofmai wrote:pls upload again upanyasams by balakrishna sastrigal....links r nt working :(
Find Balakrishna Sastrigal recordings.

venkatakailasam

Re: HARIKATHAS-sangeetha upanyasam - Varsha Bhuvaneswari

Post by venkatakailasam »

The Seven year old Varsha Bhuvaneswari daughter of Shri SREYAS NARAYANUN -a renouned vocalist,
performed a Sangeetha Upanyasam on Valli Kalyanam which was brought out by Vijay TV which brings out a lot of Bakthi Programes -between 6-7 Am IST.

This was recorded and posted at You Tube for the benefit of viewers who have missed it.

You may view them in my You Tube Channal at : http://www.youtube.com/user/vkailasam

Shri SREYAS NARAYANUN has developed her very well both in singing and also in story telling

and to be a enterprising child.

venkatakailasam

VK RAMAN

Re: HARIKATHAS

Post by VK RAMAN »

Varsha is awesome