Totally mesmerising or frustrating

Tālam & Layam related topics
narayan

Totally mesmerising or frustrating

Post by narayan »

I heard TRSubramanyam singing Samayamu Telisi (Asaveri) live once and I just could not keep the talam straight. I thought this was just because I was unskilled. Thirty years or more later (i.e. today), I found a video on YouTube of his singing this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7xRi77Xe8Y&NR=1
and I STILL can't keep the talam. What misra chapu? I give up!

semmu86

Re: Totally mesmerising or frustrating

Post by semmu86 »

The audio and video are out of sync. Maybe thats the reason you find it difficult to follow the thalam. Otherwise it is straight forward misra chApu at an higher kAlapramANam.

narayan

Post by narayan »

semmu86 wrote:The audio and video are out of sync. Maybe thats the reason you find it difficult to follow the thalam. Otherwise it is straight forward misra chApu at an higher kAlapramANam.
OK. Will try again with eyes closed. But I distinctly remember the time I heard him live, when the audio and video were in sync!

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

As semmu86 said it is just audio-video not in proper sync. It is Misra Chapu tala in a faster speed. I have also heard TRS sing Manava Janma Doddado in Poorvi Kalyani at break-neck speed in Misra Chaapu .. I think this kriti is part of a Commercial audio called "Best of TRS" ...or something. I dont remember the name.

J.Balaji

narayan

Post by narayan »

Thanks for the reassurance. Tightly closed eyes worked. Now downgraded from 'mesmerising' to 'intriguing' talam! But at least at a couple of points, the song picks up a line at a point you're not expecting it to. I doubt if I can execute the "o manasa" part accurately, for example.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

narayan, I tried this a couple of times. The mridangist is showing the MC structure but I do not get a good feel for the layam that is inherent in the song itself. And I had the same issues you seem to have had, may be much worse. In a lot of places, when I thought I synced with MC, the words were not starting at the same point... Waiting for further guidance from semmu and Balaji. ( also please point out the eduppu, may be that will clarify it for me )

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

The starting point of the kriti is 4 counts after samam. Since the proceedings follow in quick succession it is really difficult for the rasikas to find out the starting point. (closing the eyes and listening to the lyrics help a lot too). It needs to be done after listening to the words and then arriving at the starting point. TRS, a giant of LAYA, has started after 6 counts in the first two rounds and then extended the word samayamu so that it starts after 4 counts from samam. The second line starts after 6 counts from samam (Sumathi ...). The anupallavi and Charanam start after 4 beats.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

All I can say is...aahaa...there is something so very aesthetic about the sAhitya "floating" (to use SRJ Mama's description) around the tALam, particularly only when the samam is emphasized. I have been taught to put the talam in this fashion for several MD kriti-s and padams. Try putting the tALam as miSra Eka emphasizing the samam only - it quickly becomes apparent just how much a master of layam TRS Mama is, as Balaji Sir has already remarked!

...totally mesmerizing... :grin:

Ashwin