Lyrics - parama mangaLa mUruti

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Lakshman Sir or respected posters,

Wondered if any of you have the lyrics for the song, "parama mangaLa mUrti" on A~njanEya. The link to the clip below is from the Bangalore S Sankar thread and I tried to transcribe but was difficult to discern the words clearly. I think this is a kannaDa dEvarnAma, prob. by one of the haridAsAs.

http://rapidshare.de/files/19733008/Par ... i.mp3.html

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

rAga jhunjUTi, Adi tALa, composition of vijayadAsaru

parama mangaLa mUruti divya kIruti |
dhareyoLagide vAruti ||

karuNA payOnidhiye karava piDidu enna
karaNa Suddhana mADO kareve mastaka bAgi ||1||

rAghavEndrara pAda lAghava (naTi)?yalli
SlAghane mADida mAghadhAriya priya ||2||

niruta mantrAlayapura vAsa aghanASa
siri vijayaviThalana caraNa bhajipa guruve ||3||

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank drshrikaanth Sir, could I beg you for a brief translation? There seems to be a link drawn between rAghavEndra and hanumAn.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

kmrasika.
That very place where rAghavEndra is mentioned, I have a doubt in the lyric as I have marked with a (?). That makes it difficult.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Actually the dEvaranAma is a stuti of guru rAghavEndraswAmi itself. Not of AnjanEya.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

parama mangaLa mUruti- Most auspicious formed One; divya kIruti- You with a hallowed fame;
dhareyoLagide vAruti- this is indeed the talk of the whole world.

caraNa1
karuNA payOnidhiye- O Ocean of compassion; karava piDidu- Holding hands; enna- my;
karaNa Suddhana mADO- make me pure in all faculties; kareve- I beckon/beseech;
mastaka bAgi- bowing my head.

caraNa 3
niruta- ever; mantrAlayapura vAsa- One resident in the city of mantrAlaya;
aghanASa- destoyer of sins; siri vijayaviThalana- of viThala(viShNu);
caraNa bhajipa guruve- O guru who sing the praise of the feet!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Running meaning

O guru- your most auspicious form and hallowed fame are indeed the talk of the whole world.

O ocean of compassion, kindly hold my hands and cleanse all my senses/faculties. I bow my head and beseech you.(1)

You who are forever resident in the great city of mantrAaya, O destroyer of sins, You who sing praise of viThala's feet, you are indeed the talk of the whole world.(3)

(I am not attemting to translate the 2nd caraNa as Im unsure of lyrics. I do not want to mislead myself and you as well)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

drs, kmrasika,

I wonder if this is on Raghavendra yati or on the Panchamukhi Anjaneya in Mantralaya.

ALthougn the 2nd charana is not very clear - I felt this may be on Hanuman because of the following reasons

1) I think there is some reference to some one doing 'shlAghane' for Raghavendra (?). This can not be
Raghavendra himself. Right?

2) Hanuman (just like Ganesha) is refered as "mangala moorti" (in hanuman chalisa? I am not very sure of the source). This usage is seen in North Karnataka/South Maharshtra region. Vijaya dasa came from Rayachur in the same region, and Mantralaya is also in the same area.

3) Mantralaya puravAsa aghanAsha can apply to Hanuman as well as Raghavendra, as there is a shrine of Panchamukhi Anjaneya at Mantralaya.

However I can not explain the word guruvE at the end -if this is refering to Hanuman :-( though.

-Ramakriya

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

ramakriya wrote:2) Hanuman (just like Ganesha) is refered as "mangala moorti" (in hanuman chalisa? I am not very sure of the source). This usage is seen in North Karnataka/South Maharshtra region. Vijaya dasa came from Rayachur in the same region, and Mantralaya is also in the same area.
At the end of the hanumAn chAlIsA is this request from tulsIdAs:

pawan tanay sankaT haran mangal murati rUp l
rAm lakhan sItA sahit hriday basahu sur bhUp ll

Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ramakriya
Thanks for the input. You have a point about AnjanEya in MantrAlaya although "mangaLa mUrti" can be appleid to anyone. I wis VijayadAsa had used the word mAruti which so beautifully rhymes with mUruti, kIruti and vAruti. Why that did not occur to him, I wonder. Maybe he left it 'out to leave us in doubt' (Ha. Thats a good rhyme now) :)

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank you, drshrikaanth for the translation and others for the discussion. Now I can relish the delightful rendition complemented by the meaning of the song.

On the subject of the relation of hanumAn and rAghavEndra, I do recall seeing a poster of a seated rAghavEndra with hanumAn in the background but I can't remember the figure behind Him. Thisis the first time I've heard of another haridAsa other than kamalESha composing a piece on rAghavEndra.
Last edited by kmrasika on 08 Aug 2006, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.