Prof. Mysore V.Ramarathnam

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
jeevarathna

Post by jeevarathna »

Prof. V. Ramarathnam was born in Chittoor, Andra Pradesh in 1917. After his preliminary education he moved to Bangalore and received training in vocal music under Ganakala Sindhu D. Subbaramiah and Palghat Someshwara Bhagavathar. He later moved to Mysore and underwent rigorous gurukula training in vocal music for ten years under the legendary violinist Sangeetha Ratna Mysore T. Chowdiah. Ramarathnam's musical knowledge, repertoire and delivery, attained breadth and mastery through close association and interactions with stalwarts like Mysore Vasudevachar, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer , Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar and Alathoor Srinivasa Iyer.

Prof. Ramarathnam's career as a performing artist and teacher, spanned over four decades starting in 1945 as the first Vice-Prinicpal, Ayyanar College of Music in Mysore, started by T. Chowdiah. He then was chosen as the Professor of Music and First Principal of the the University College of Music and Dance, University of Myosre in 1965. Following his retirement in 1977, the University Grants Commission, Govt. of India invited Prof. Ramarathnam to continue his service as Emeritus professor, which he served until 1980. His research work during this period on the "Contribution and Patronage of Mysore Wodeyars to Carnatic Music" is considered to be an authoritative record. This work was recently published by Government of Karnataka, Kannada Book Authority. He has served as the Chairman of the Board of Graduate and Post Graduate studies in music, University of Mysore, Chairman, Board of Examiners University of Kerala, and as a member of the board of studies at Venkateswara University, Tirupathi. Prof. Ramarathnam has trained hundreds of students and has also guided doctoral students in music. The Mysore University Press has published ten books authored by him on the theory and practical aspects of Carnatic music. Many of these books are being used currently for undergraduate and graduate instruction in music.

Prof. V. Ramarathnam is an 'A' class artist of All India Radio and has been giving concerts for over fifty years at several AIR centers and throughout the country as well as United States. One his memorable concerts was a Madras Music Academy concert in 1958, to an audience filled with legends such as Chembai, Maharajapuram Vishwanatha Iyer, Ariyakudi, (to name a few), when his guru Chowdiah received the academy's coveted Sangeetha Kalanidhi Award He has performed to the accompaniment of great artists including his own guru T. Chowdiah,Govindaswamy Naickar, Prof. T.N. Krishnan, Chalukudi Narayanaswamy, M. Chandrashekaran, etc. on violin and Palghat T.S. Mani Iyer, Vellore ,Ramabhadran, T.K. Murthy, Umayalapuram Sivaraman, Tanjore Upendran, Prof. Trichy Sankaran, Guruvayur Dorai , Alangudi Ramachandran etc on the mridangam.

Prof. Ramarathnam has received deep appreciation and recognition from the legends of his time for his scholarship in all aspects of music. He alo received a number of titles. He was conferred the title of

Sangeetha Kala Rathna when he presided over the 14th Musician Conference under the auspices of the Bangalore Gayana Samaja in 1983.
Karnataka Kalathilaka from Karnataka State Sangeetha Nritya Academy in 1986,
Sangeetha Rathna Mysore T. Chowdiah Centenary Memorial Award for his long lasting contribution to music, in 1994-95 from Vice President of India K.R. Narayanan,
Swaramuthy V.N. Rao Memorial Award from Governer of Karnataka in 2004
Sangeetha Kala Sagaram from Bhairavi Fine Arts, Cleveland OH in 2005 as well as recognition from many leading sabhas.
Motivated by Poet Laurete Kuvempu, Prof. Ramarathnam composed his first krithi "Karunisu Pramatha Ganapathe" in the raga Todi set to Rupaka tala, following which he composed more than 25 keerthanas and thillanas in Sanskrit, Kannada, and Telugu with the swanama mudra, 'rama'.

jeevarathna

Post by jeevarathna »

List of Compositions:

1) Karunisu; Kannada ; Thodi; Rupaka

Pallavi : Karunisu pramatha ganapathe kamithagala koduva deva ||

2) Kanchi Kamakshi; Sanskrit ; Saveri ; Adi

Pallavi : Kanchi Kamakshi Kavya lapa Vinodini | Panchabramharupini santhatham chinthaye ||

3) Shambho Shankara ; Sanskrit; Bhairavi ; Adi

Pallavi: Shambho Shankara Shashanka Shekara Maya Nivaraka thavasharanm (Shambho)

4) Ekamreshwara; Sanskrit ; Abheri ; Adi

Pallavi : Ekamreshwara mannolasini rakha shashivadhane pahi jagajjanani (ekamreshwara)

5) Paripalisau ; Kannada ; Abhogi ;Adi

Pallavi : Paripalisau janani parameshwari | Gnananandamaye vedagamanasare || (Paripalisau)

6) Sri Kamakoti ; Sanskrit ; Rithigowla ; Adi

Pallavi : Sri Kamakoti Peetasthithe Kamakshi | Namami Shailasuthe Lalithe || (Sri)

7) Jyothirmaya ; Sanskrit ; Surati ; Mishra Laghu

Pallavi : Jyothirmaya rupaya sankeruha lochanaya | Varijabhava vandhithaya chidananda swarupaya ||

8. Giriraja Kumari ; Kannada ; Kedaragowla ; Adi

Pallavi : Giriraja kumari murahara sodhari | Poreyammanu thaye Gauri ||

9) Parathpara ; Kannada ; Atana ; Adi

Pallavi: Parathpara parama dhayakara parambarisi nee salahaiyya doreye || (Parathpara)

10) Kaumari ; Sanskrit ; Purvikalyani ; Mishra Laghu

Pallavi : Kaumari Kalikalmasha nashini Kanakadhrivahini pahi janani || (Kaumari)

11) Shadanana Moralidina; Telugu; Shanmukha Priya; Adi

Pallavi : Shadanana Moralidina napai karuna judaradha vadha ||

12) Pamara Jana; Sanskrit; Vachaspathi; Adi

Pallavi: Pamara jana palini janani | Shri mahadeva mahithe tharaka shubha charithe ||

13) Pathitha Pavana;; Telugu Kalyani; Kanda Chapu

Pallavi : Pathitha pavana ninnu brathi malivedithini kshithilona rakshimpa gathi neeve gakevaru (Pathitha)

14) Saraswathi; Sanskrit; Arabhi; Adi

Pallavi : Saraswathi Sakala kala nipune | surapujithe swarathmike ambha ||

15) Srithapaladhayaki; Sanskrit; Lathangi; Adi

Pallavi: Srithapaladhayaki dhurithapaharini | jaguseyatharama nee prapukorithi ambha ||

16) Ramam Ravikula; Sanskrit ; Manirangu; Adi

Pallavi: Ramam ravikula jalanidhi somam | Kama nirjitharupam bhajeham sri ||

17) Ninne Nambidheneyya; Kannada; Hindola; Adi

Pallavi: Ninne Nambidheneyya - neerajaksha | Sanakadhi Munivandhya - madanagopala ||

18. Madhurapuri; Sanskrit; Chakravaka; Adi

Pallavi: Madhurapuri nilaye - mathangi - anishamamava meenakshi ||

19) Paramdhamavathi; Sanskrit; Karaharapriya; Adi

Pallavi: Paramdhamavathiyuvathi amba - balendhu shekari namasthe namasthe ||

20) Sundareshwara; Sanskrit; Kamboji; Misrachapu

Pallavi: Sundareshwara mahithe - dharmadhi purusharthadhayini pahimam ||
21) Paradevathe; Sanskrit; Yadhukula Kamboji; Rupaka

Pallavi: Paradevathe shivasahithe - sadhujana chithhavruthe | paramathma prakashini-mampahi sathatham ||

22) Palayamam; Sanskrit; Natakuranji; Rupaka

Pallavi: Palayamam sharadhe - sarasijasana priye amba || palaya ||

23) Shambho mahadeva; Sanskrit; Shankarabharana; Chapu

Pallavi: Shambho mahadeva pahimam - chidhvilasa sundaresha || shambho ||

24) Shankaracharyam; Sanskrit; Shankarabharana; Adi

Pallavi: Shankaracharyamanisham chinthaye ham sri || sham ||

25) Madhurapurinilaye; Sanskrit; Kamavardhini; Adi

Pallavi: Madhurapuri nilaye - mathangi - ashritha kalpa lathike namasthe || ma ||

26)Venkatashailapathe; Madhyamavathi; Adi

Pallavi: Venkatashailapathe pahi mam || Vem ||

jeevarathna

Post by jeevarathna »

For more details and some very interesting free d/l please visit:

http://www.mysorevramarathnam.org/index.html

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

jeevarathna:
I don't see ShEshAcala vAsa (kEdAragauLa-rUpakam) on your list above. Do you have the lyrics?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

shESAcala vAsA is by T.Choudiah.

SSK

Post by SSK »

I did get hold of a photo copy of the book "Chowdiah's Compositions" by Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam. It went out of print long time ago and it is written in Kannada published by Prasaranga of University of Mysore in 1975. If any one is interested then, I can send it to them. The copy is not in great shape due to age and poor quality of paper that the original was printed on ( I think) but it is legible. Prof. Ramarathnam has documented all the seventeen Krithis and a few Thillanas that he used to sing at concerts and teach. Each composition has detailed notations. It is a small book about 50+ pages or so...

Actually if there are volunteers to convert them to ITRANS then, I can even work on publishing them.....

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

I think we should undertake to convert all these old books and compositions, with notations to itrans. I certainly volunteer to to this; I've already made a similar post in the wiki link.

SSK

Post by SSK »

kmrasika wrote:jeevarathna:
I don't see ShEshAcala vAsa (kEdAragauLa-rUpakam) on your list above. Do you have the lyrics?
Prof. Ramarathnam's presentation of his guru Mysore T. Chowdiah's composition is at:

http://mysorevramarathnam.org/Concerts/ ... napa-1975/

On this index it is the 8th song.
Last edited by SSK on 15 Mar 2007, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ninjathegreat:
Do you read kannada?

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Lji, I can read; but I can't understand that much... I learnt to read the different scripts of south india once because I was fancied by it :)...

SSK sir, I have transliterated all the compositions that you had sent to me into english. All that remains is to feed it through to itrans with the modifications. I'm having trouble all of a sudden getting itrans to work properly... Will work on it and get the document to you asap...

Cheers
Ninja

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Ninjathegreat:
I asked the question since I have the composition by T.Chowdiah and it is in kannada script.
Also please check with me before coverting songs into ITRANs since I have over 12000 songs by many composers already converted.
However, I can use some help with Dasas' songs, R.K.Suryanarayana's, Lalita Navile's and Chowdiah's.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Lji, I have transliterated the compositions of chowdiah with notation by Dr. Ramaratnam into english. I might have misinterpreted some notations, but I can send them to you... (2 sections of the book - Chowdiah's Krithis and Chowdiah's Tillanas)...

If you send me the kannada songs, I can transliterate them for you...

Cheers
ninja

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

OK thanks.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Dear Ninja and Lakshman:

Thanks for all the efforts. Send me the ITRANS as a pdf file or something.. I can talk to either Mysore Nagaraj or Manjunath to see if they can verify the translation. Again really aplaud the efforts...

Also though Prof. Mysore Sri V. Ramarathnam authored the book, the copy rights are still with the University of Mysore. So we need to be careful about posting them on the internet. I don't want to get the 90 year professor in to trouble. I am currently working to get permission from the university put all of Prof. Ramarathnam's book via google e-books. Prof. Ramarthnam authored the following books that were published by the University of Mysore:

1. Sangeetha Darpana – Prof. V. Ramarathnam University of Mysore, Prasaranga Publication, 1969
2. Karnataka Sangeetha Sudha - co-authors Dr. V.S. Sampathkumaracharya, University of Mysore, Prasaranga Publication, 1967
3. Sangeetha Ratna T. Chowdiah's Compositions – Published by University of Mysore, 1975
4. Sangeetha Shastra Parichaya Vols 1 and 2 – Co-Author R.N. Doraiswamy
5. Pallaki Seva Prabhandham – Co-Authors M.V. Rathna, University of Mysore, Prasaranga, 1974.
6. Noukacharithram – Co-Author R.N. Doraiswamy, 1969.
7. Karnataka Sangeethadha Lakshya Lakshana Sangraha – Published by University of Mysore, Prasaranga.

All of these 7 books need permission for Mysore University for distribution by means of bits and bytes.

The following are the books that are published by Prof. Ramarathnam along with Sri. D V K Murthy (renowned publisher in Mysore) and other agencies of State of Karnataka:

1. Mysore Sadhashivarayaru – Published by Karnataka Sangeetha Nrithya Academy, Bangalore 1997.
2. Karnataka Sangeetha Krithirachana Sangraha Volume 1 - Published by Prof. V. Ramarathnam, 1992.
3. Karnataka Sangeetha Deepeke – co-authored by Dr. V.S. Sampathkumaracharya- Published by D.V.K. Murthy, Mysore, 2000.
4. Keerthana Tharangini- published by D.V.K. Murthy, Mysore, 2000.
5. Contribution and Patronage of Mysore Wodeyars to Carnatic Music –Published by Kannada Book Authority, Bangalore, India
6. Apurva Vaggeya Kruthimanjari – Published by D.V.K. Murthy, 2004
7. Muthuswami Dikshithara Navagraha Krithigalu - Published by D.V.K. Murthy, 2004
8. Muthuswami Dikshithara NavaVarna Krithigalu - Published by D.V.K. Murthy, 2004
9. Reminescence of a Musician - Released as part of Prof. Ramarathnam's 90th Birthday Celebration in December 2006.
10. Apurva Vaggeya Kruthimanjari (Vol ii)– to be released in 2007

I will try get all of appropriate paper work to make all of these sources of knowledge available via internet by google e-books...

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Prof. Ramarathnam is being awarded the prestigious kanakapurandara prashasti by the Karnataka Government. Congratulations to the maestro and wishing him a long life of contributing to music.

http://starofmysore.com/main.asp?type=news&item=12511

SSK

Post by SSK »

I guess it is great to be 90+ years old, and keep busy in the field of music. Prof. Ramarathnam just sent another book on "Apurva Vaggeya Kruthimanjari (Vol ii)– to be released in 2007 " to printers. This book is in Kannada and has over 50 rare compositions of various composers with detailed notations.. At 90 his wisdom with its charecteristic tranquility, and his energy to quickly reproduce these rare pieces and bring them to life in the form of a book and present it before the rasikas is, something that most people can only dream. Most of these compositions have rarely been presented on stage, and I hope artists and senior vidwans will benefit from it.

The decision of Karnataka State to bestow Prof. Mysore V. Ramarthnam with "Kanakapurandara Award for 2007" is probably late, but it is "better late than never".
Last edited by SSK on 27 Mar 2007, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

SSK

Post by SSK »

From DRS:
Prof. Ramarathnam is being awarded the prestigious kanakapurandara prashasti by the Karnataka Government. Congratulations to the maestro and wishing him a long life of contributing to music.

http://starofmysore.com/main.asp?type=n … item=12511
Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam (1917 - ), is a well know Carnatic musician, author, teacher and composer. The world of carnatic music is celebrating the 90th birthday celebrations starting in December of 2006. To recognize his remarkable accomplishements and contribution to carnatic music for over 75 years, Prof. Ramarathnam is being awarded "Kanaka Purandara Prashasthi for 2007:.

Prof. Ramarthnam, the only vocalist disciple of Sangeetha Rathna Mysore T. Chowdiah, is highly regarded by doyens of carnatic music such as Mysore Vasudevachar, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Chembai, Alathoor Srinivasa Iyer & Musuri Subramanya Iyer. He gained significant popularity among the doyens of carnatic music and the educated audience, occupying the centre stage for more than six decades in the field of carnatic music. He was the Founder Principal of the University College of Music and Dance, University of Mysore since its inception in 1965, a position which he held till his retirement in 1987.

Vidwan Ramarathnam who has been hailed as a musician’s musician was born at Chittor, Andhra Pradesh in 1917 in a family of music lovers and landlords to V.Subbaramiah and Smt. Parvathamma. Prof. Ramarathnam’s was introduced to music as a young boy by his aunt Sharadamma. A self taught person, Sharadamma, learnt music by keenly observing and listening to the lessons given to her husband Kodandaramiah by none other than the legendary Pallavi Shesha Iyer. Ramarathnam learnt from his aunt, compositions of Pallavi Sheshaiyer (Ika Nannu Brovakunna – Bhairavi), Tyagaraja kritis (Kalaharanamelara, Rama Nannu Brovara, etc.), Patnam Subramanya Iyer kritis (Inka DayaRaLeda NaPai – Chakravaka), and tillanas of Pallavi Shesha Iyer including a tillana in Dhanyasi composed in praise the Mysore royalty.

Just before appearing for matriculation examination, Ramarathnam’s health deteriorated and he moved to Bangalore to his uncle’s place for medical treatment. Ill health interrupted his schooling for some time. Noticing his innate talent in music, well wishers helped Ramarathnam, undertake the first foundational steps that would start his long journey in the field of carnatic music. He started formal training under stalwarts like Ganakalasindhu D.Subbaramaiah at first, followed by Palghat Someshwara Bhavathar and L. S. Narayanaswamy Bhagavathar, a disciple of the great Nayana Pillai of Kanjeevaram.

It was Ramarathnam’s good friend, Palghat Ayyamani Iyer, a well known mridangam vidwan who had settled down in Bangalore, (also a classmate of Palghat Mani Iyer) that introduced Ramarathnam to the renowned violin maestro Mysore T.Chowdiah. After listening Ramarathnam’s music, Vidwan Chowdiah immediately accepted him as his disciple. From then on Prof. Ramarathnam settled down in Mysore and guru Chowdiah groomed him for nearly ten years, and he became a mature vocalist, under the gurukula system. During this time Ramarathnam came into close contact with the renowned musician’s Mysore Vasudevacharaya, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavattar, Maharajapuram Vishwanatha Iyer, Musuri Subramanya Iyer and Alathoor Srinivasa Iyer. From these giants he learnt many krithis, pallavis with dedication, and expanded his musical horizon.

Prof. Ramarathnam’s dedication to music and the hard work needed to accomplished the cherished goal of “Nadhopasakaâ€

SSK

Post by SSK »

Deccan Herald Interviews Kanaka Purandara Awardee Vidwan Prof. Ramarathnam

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanheral ... 007329.asp

Hindu Coverage:
http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/27/stories ... 570400.htm

dipasoke

Post by dipasoke »

Hi,
I am looking for contact of dvk murthy, mysore(preferably a phone number). if anyone can help me. my apologies if i have posted this in wrong location in this forum.
regards,
dipasoke
dipasoke@gmail.com

SSK

Post by SSK »

Sorry Have not followed up on this thread for a sometime.. I will get DVK murthy's number tonight and I send it to you tomorrow.

SSK

Post by SSK »

hi Dipasoke:

Did send you the contact number for Sri DVK Murthy in Mysore, few minutes ago..

SSK

Post by SSK »

Per News Bulletin from http://www.sanjevani.com/ a kannada evening news magazine from Karnataka:

Mysore, August 27, 2007: Prof. Mysore V. Sri Ramarthanam and his long time friend and well known Mridangam Vidwan Sri Vellore Ramabhadran will be honored under the auspices of "Festival of Dance by All India Universities". The felicitation will be held at the Kala Mandira, Mysore on the campus of University of Mysore.

As announced in April/May 2007 Prof. Mysore Ramarathnam will be presented the Sri "Kanaka Purandara Award" which carries a citation and cash award. Sri Vellore Ramabhadran will be presented the "Sri Chowdiah Award.

Other awards include :
* Dana Chintamani Prashasthi (Award) for Sri B.T. Lalitha Nayak
* Dr. Gubbi Veeranna Prashasthi (Award) for Smt G.V. Malathamma
* Shilpi Jakkannachari Prashasthi (Award)for B.N. Channappacharya (Sculptor)
* Natyarani Shanthala Natya Prashasthi (Award) for K.B. Madhavarao
* Janapada (Folk) Prashasthi (Award) for Bagalakote Sri Eshwarappa Gurappa Angadi
* Varna Shilpi Venkatappa Prashasthi (Award) for Sri B.K. Huballi

SSK

Post by SSK »

SSK

Post by SSK »

Prof. Ramarathnam accepts the Kanaka Purandara award, along with his long time friend Sri Vellore Ramabhdran who also recieved the T. Chowdiah Award at a color festival on the campus of University of Mysore, India. Both the vidwans recieved a purse of Rs 100,000/- a shawl and a citation.

http://www.mysorevramarathnam.org/Kanak ... d_func.pdf

Accepting the award Prof. Ramarthnam said "what can I do with purse at my age? I will give the money for the rejuvenation of Rama Mandira of Bidaram Krishnappa in Mysore".

SSK

Post by SSK »

SSK

Post by SSK »

Naada Priya

Post by Naada Priya »

Hi all...

In this thread I am proud to tell that, when I was in mysore, I was staying just behind the house of Shri Ramarathnam. His house is located in Saraswathi Puram(1st main) i front of Ramamandiram. Just to have his darshan, I would walk in frount of his house.....
Last edited by Naada Priya on 17 Oct 2007, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Naada Priya

Post by Naada Priya »

Dipa.. The phone #of DVK Murthy Publications is, is, 2331484
Area code for mysore is 0821..
Last edited by Naada Priya on 17 Oct 2007, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

SSK

Post by SSK »

I just heard that world space radio broadcasted a 2 hr interview with Prof Ramarathnam. Any one know, how to listen to it... are there any archive sites.. I heard there will be a repeat broadcast tommorow.. Don't know, what time..

SSK

Post by SSK »

Just an FYI. A selection of recordings of Prof. Ramarathnam's live concerts from 1970 - 2004 are available for download at:

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~kss

The available concerts are as follows:
01. Bangalore Gayana Samaja 1970
02. Bidaram Krishnappa Rama Mandira, Mysore 1975
03. Sangeetha Kala Rathna Award Concert – Bangalore Gayana Samaja 1985
05. San Diego State University 1987
06. Mysore All India Radio Broadcast 1996

Solo Concert rendered at the golden age of 87 years

07. Trichy All India Radio Broadcast 2004

Also you will find links to:
Prof. Ramarathnam’s Compositions by

Sangeetha Samrat Sri G. Ravikiran, & Dr. Mysore Manjunath

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

May his soul rest in peace: http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2008/11 ... sses-away/

-Ramakriya

SSK

Post by SSK »

I just found out this morning that a collection of more than 10 music Sabhas in Bangalore have arranged a "Shradhanjali" Program on December 7, 2008 at 11:00 AM in Rajaji Nagar, Bangalore, in memory of Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam.

Can any one on this thread in Bangalore, post more information on this event??

A Life in Music

SSK

Post by SSK »

Vidwan Chitraveena Ravikiran interviewed Prof. Ramaratnam in December 2007 when Prof. Ramarathnam turned 91. The venue is the citadel of canatic music, The Bidaram Krishnappa Prasanna Seetha Rama Mandira, Narayana Shastry Road, Mysore, India. The following are the links to Google Videos:
Part I:

Vidwan Chitraveena Ravikiran Interviews Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam Part I

Part II:

Vidwan Chitraveena Ravikiran Interviews Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam Part II

The following is the entire transcript for those who wish to read:

December 14, 2007: Sangeet Samrat Shri Chitravina N Ravikiran interviews Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam on the occasion of Professor’s 91st birthday celebrations.
Venue: In front of sanctum sanctorum of "Shree Rama Pattabhishekam"

SSK

Post by SSK »

I have hard copies of the book Reminescences of a Musician by Prof. Ramarathnam, that was released in Mysore, Chennai and Cleveland, OH during 2006-2007 on the occasion of Professor's 90th birthday celebrations. I need help in indentifying universities, music schools that have ethno-musicology and significant interest in carnatic music, in Europe, and Austrailia and Asia so that I can donate few copies to their library.

Really appreciate if Rasikas can post the mailing address of reputable universities and schools of music.

http://www.mysorevramarathnam.org/books ... Final.pdf/

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

the link doesn't seem to work..

SSK

Post by SSK »

SSK

Post by SSK »

Or cut and paste:

http://www. mysorevramarathnam.org/books/Ramarathnam_biograph_Version_Final.pdf

Remove the space after www.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Prof. Ramarathnam's first anniversary and memorial festival is on November, 7 2009 at Mysore. See
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ember.html

or

http://mysorevramarathnam.org/Memorial/ ... invite.htm

for details.

PK. Balakumaran

Post by PK. Balakumaran »

can someone post the lyrics for Ramam Ravikula in Manirangu; Adi
beautiful raga for a Rama song

PK. Balakumaran

Post by PK. Balakumaran »

rama ravikula soma
Thank you I received the lyrics wonderful
God bless
bala

SSK

Post by SSK »

Raga - Manirangu - Tala - Adi (Samskrit) - V. Ramarathnam
Ascent : Sa ri ma pa ni saa
Descent : Sa ni pa ma ga ri saa
Description of the Raga : This is derived from the 22nd Melakarta - parent raga Kharaharapriya. Pentatonic hexatonic raga. The notes figuring in the raga are Shadja, Chatusruti Rishabha, Suddha Madhyama Panchama, Kaisiki Nishada and Sadharana Gandhara. This is an example of a raga wherein Dhaivata is deleted. An upanga raga (without a foreign note) in which Ma is the principal note. A raga wherein embellishment is prominent. The ealngated Gandhara in the descent reveals the individuality of the raga. A noon time, auspicious raga, closely allied to raga Madhyamavati. Itcan be also sung at all times. Pa nee, ni sa nee, Paa ma ga ree, Pa ree ri, Pa ma ga ri, ree saa are some svara phrases which add beauty to the raga.

Pallavi : || Ramam Ravikula jalanidhi somam - Kaama nirjita roopam bhajeham || Ra ||

Anupallavi : Paripoorna Kaarunya Paaraa Vaaram - Sarsijanetram Parama Pavitram |
Bhaaratee, Rama, Gowree Ramana Svarupam
Vataatmajaasritam | Ramam ||

Charana : Bhagavata Priya Sreekaram - Karadhrita Vaishnava chaapa saram |
Ragayuta Sadbhakta hitam - Bhaktadaana nipunam |
Nagaraja Ajarudraadi Sevitam - Veda Vedanta Vedya roopam |
Nagavarada naanaalankaara bhooshitam - Daasarathi Sannutam ||

Notation:

Pallavi : , , ri . ga ri sa ni paa , ri ma . pa ni . ni pa pa ma ga ri sa ri pa ma ga ri -
. . Raa . . mam Ravi . kula ja . la . . . ni . dhi . so . .
saa ri. . ma paa
mam kaa . ma ni
; ni sa ri . - ni saa ni paa pa ni sa ni pa ma ga ri ||
. rjita roo . pam bha . je . . . ham
2. - Ma ga ri sa X Ri ma pa ni sa ni . . sa ni sa ni pa ma ni pa pa ma ga ri sa ri
. . sri . Raa . . mam . . Ra . vi . kula Ja . la . ni . dhi .
maa pa ma ga ri . . . .
so . . mam Kamanirjita
- sa ri maa ga ri pa ni sa ni pa ma ni pa ma pa ||
roo . . pam . bha . je . . . ham . . .
3. Ma ga ri ma X paa ni pa maa pa ma ga ri sa ri. ma paa sa ri ga ri sa ni pa ma
. Sri . . raa . . . . . . . mam ravi kula ja . la ni . dhi so . .
pa ma ga ri - sa ri pa ma ga ri ga ri sa ni pa ma maa ni pa pa ma ||
mam kaamanirjita . . . . roo . . . . . pam bha . . . je . . . ham . . .
ga ri sa X Raa ||
. sri . . .
Anupallavi : ; ri paa ni , pa sa ni sa pa , ma pa ma ga ri saa , ri sa ri pa ma -
. pa ri poor . na kaa . ru . nya paa . . . raa . vaa . .
- ga ri saa sa ri pa ma
ram . . sa . ra .
ga ri saa ri paa ma - paa pa ni sa ni pa ma paa sa ni ||
si . ja ne . . tram pa . ra . ma pa vi . .
saa paa sa ni . pa ni ma pa pa ni sa ni paa , ni - ma pa ri sa ni . , pa ma pa -
tram bhaa ra tee Ra . maa . gow . . . ri. ra ma na sva . roo pam vaa .
- ma pa ni pa sa ni paa maa ga ri || saa
taa . . . tma jaa . srita sri X Ram ||
Charana : ; ri . , ga ri sa ga ri saa, ni paa - , , , ni sa , ri maa paa . pa ma pa
. Bha . ga vata priya sri . karam . . . kara . druta vai shna va chaa
ri sa ni . ||
pa sa ram
; paa , sa ni sa paa ri ri sa ni pa ni saa - ; ri ma pa ni sa ni pa ma ga ri saa
. raa . gayutasa dbha . . . ktahitam . bha . . . kta . daa . . . na
ri . pa ma paa ; ; ||
ni pu . nam . .
To be sung like the Anupallavi :
Nagaraja Ajarudraadi sevitam - Veda Vedanta divya roopam ||
Nagavarada Naanaalankaara bhooshitam - Daasarathi Sannutham || Sri ||