Lyrics- pADip pADI dinam thEDinAlum in yamuna kalyani

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
arasi

Post by arasi »

The interesting and informative thread on 'ellAm inba mayam' made me think of another poetic, thought-provoking song: pADip pADi dinam thEDinAlum avan pAdam kANa muDiyAdu--Ishan pAdam kANA muDiyAdu, in yamuna kalyani. I would appreciate the lyrics since I have forgotten some lines. Which film is it from?
Of course, there were poetic composers in films before Kannadasan. Papanasam Sivan, Yogi and others. Who wrote this one?

'EllAm inba mayam' is a more complex composition. Both in imagery and word count. No wonder, even the inimitable MLV forgot some words.
The thread was closed before I looked at it.

I feel that any tamizh word which is born out of sanskrit (though has not changed in any way) should still be pronounced as a tamizh word. example: 'puvi'--not 'bhuvi' as in sanskrit. 'bUmi', not bhUmi'. This does not apply to kannada, telugu, malayalam and othe languages where there are specific letters for each kind of 'sa', as in sanskrit.
'ellAm inba mayam puvi mEl'--not 'bhuvi mEl''; 'bUmiyil'--not ''bhUmiyil'.
cm lover and other tamizh pros might know the rules as well.

Let us take tamizh words themselves. Example: 'solla'. 'cholla' and 'sholla' (soft as in shyamaLa) are apt, in my view, and 'solla' as in 'samayam' is not. Try the excercise of singing the word in a line. When it comes to 'solla' as in 'samayam', it is not pleasing (I would imagine we old-timers were not used to hearing it, pre-television days. Now, try singing 'Sonnadai seidiDa sAgasamA' in different ways. What do you think?Musically, 'sonnadai' as in 'samayam', takes away the beauty of the line and the flow of the song...

arasi

Post by arasi »

cmlover,
Surely, you recall the song! ;)