Adi Sankara

History, religion and culture
mohan

Post by mohan »

I am interested in the compositions of Adi Sankara. A number of his slokas have been sung by MSS. For example:

- Ganesha Pancharatnam
- Bhaja Govindam
- Shiva Panchakstra Sthotram
Who has tuned these compositions as sung by MSS?

A complete list of Adi Sankara's works are available at
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives ... 10726.html. Click on the Next Message link for more.

Some of these compositions have been set to music and sung. Which are the famous ones?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mohan,
I am not sure about the exact details about the AS comps you are interested in, but most of the music rendered by Smt. Subbulakshmi were tuned by Mr. Venkataraman.
As an aside, by the definition of a vAgEyakar (a musician who composes), does AS fit in this category?
Ravi

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks but who is this Mr Venkataraman?

Where else can I put this message? Perhaps it can be moved to General Discussions.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

This topic does not fit correctly into this section as Ravi has pointed out. Mohan, please tell me what you were looking for when you started the topic and I will move it to the appropriate section.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This topic does not fit correctly into this section as Ravi has pointed out. Mohan, please tell me what you were looking for when you started the topic and I will move it to the appropriate section.
Mohan,
While DRS figures out where to move it, the person is Kadayanallur Venkatraman, and you can google that name for more info. He may not have been the person who tuned the ones you are interested in, but he has tuned scores of songs for her: the old LPs had all that information in their jackets: if someone has them, they can reliably retrieve that info for you.
Ravi

kriasshnan

Post by kriasshnan »

Some information about Kadayanallur Venkataraman worth reading from the Sruti magazine.

Kadayanallur S. Venkataraman: Unassuming Tunesmith

Kadayanallur S. Venkataraman died on 6th February 2004 at the age of 74 in Chennai. He was an unassuming man and had the persona of a vedantin rather than that of a musician. Not many know that he set the tune for songs made popular by M.S. Subbulakshmi, like Kuraionrum illai, Sreeman Narayana, Bhavayami Gopalabaalam, Jo Achyutananda, and Kandu kandu, which have captured the hearts of listeners with their lilt and melody.

Venkataraman was born in Kadayanallur in Tirunelveli district on the 16th November 1929. His father K.V. Subba Iyer, a PWD Supervisor, was deeply interested in bhajana music; and his cousin Martandapuram Mani Iyer was a mridanga artist with the broadcasting station at Tiruvananthapuram. As the youngster was interested in music, Venkataraman was sent to Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar to learn vocal music. He was with the vidwan for one year after which he studied at the Swati Tirunal Academy of Music in Tiruvananthapuram.

Venkataraman joined the Radio station in Tiruvananthapuram as a tambura artist when Prof. R. Srinivasan was its Director. In 1961, he moved to Chennai to serve the Madras station of All India Radio. It opened up many opportunities for him to provide vocal support to the doyen of Carnatic music, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer.

Venkataraman was also the recipient of a one-year stipend from the Music Academy, which enabled him to learn some rare kriti-s of Muthuswami Dikshitar from Carnatic vocalist and teacher B. Rajam Iyer.

It was in 1971 that he became popular as a tunesmith. He tuned numerous songs and stotra-s for the audio recordings of M.S. Subbulakshmi. The Kasi, Kamakshi and Rameswara Suprabhatam-s; Balaji Pancharatna Mala; sloka-s by Adi Sankara; and about thirty songs of Annamacharya were set to music by him. Venkataraman was a perfectionist. He would very often be present at the rehearsals and recording sessions to help fine tune the music. Close associates say that he would perfectly tune and align Lakshmi and Saraswati-- the two tambura-s of MS-- for her concerts. He has also played the tambura for her sruti-aligned soulful recitals.

Venkataraman retired from AIR-Chennai in 1990. During his long tenure, he produced many popular music features as well as programmes on teaching Carnatic music.

Not many know that he spent many years helping his disabled son to run the telephone booth in St. Isabel's Hospital in Chennai.

S. JANAKI
(Based on a Tamil article by PRAMEELA GURUMOOTHY
in Nellai Tantha Isaimanigal)

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks Ravi and kriasshnan. The MSS-KV combination was indeed a winning one.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The MSS-KV combination was indeed a winning one.
Actually MSS-ANYONE combination was bound to be a winning combo..
Ravi

kriasshnan

Post by kriasshnan »

Does anyone have a soft copy of Adi Shankara's works fully. If so, can you give some details regarding the works. I am interested in having them. Specifically ,I am looking for all the Stotras, done by Adi Shankara along with their meanings. The kamakoti.org site lists some of them but not all.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Complete works of Adi Shankara in sanskrit is printed and published by the Ramakrishna MuTT. You can contact them at Chennai for pricing details.

kriasshnan

Post by kriasshnan »

Thanks cmlover.

krishnanrasika

Post by krishnanrasika »

A complete repository of Sankara's works and other sanskrit documents can be downlaoded from the link below.
http://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_1_index.html

I also have a personal library of soft copies from various sites (in many languages). Please let me know if you are looking for any specific text.

Pranams
Krishnan

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

And an AtmanAthan had composed some songs which MS rendered in an album entitled, "rAdhA mAdhavaM."

cienu

Post by cienu »

kmrasika wrote:And an AtmanAthan had composed some songs which MS rendered in an album entitled, "rAdhA mAdhavaM."
This is not to be confused with Sri K.R.Atmanathan ! (who is a composer in his own right , the brother of Late Messrs K.R.Kumaraswamy / K.R.Kedarnathan & also the secretary to Smt MS & Sri TS).

Radha Madhavam was composed by Swami Atmananda of Malakara (near Chengannur in Kerala) who was a great Krishna-bhakta.

When his teacher asked him to undertake the traditional bhakti sadhana of Radha-hridaya-bhavana (contemplation on the heart of Radha, who took Krishna as her lover) , arising directly from this sadhana, Swami Atmananda composed a poetic work, called Radha Madhavam in very lyrical and passionate Malayalam.

And not surprisingly this masterpiece (which is commercially available) was also set to tune by Sri Kadayanallur Venkatraman and sung by MS& Radha !
Last edited by cienu on 05 Mar 2008, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

msg cancelled.
Last edited by kmrasika on 18 Nov 2008, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

sankarcs

Post by sankarcs »

Dear Members

If you have songs from tamil film "Adi Sankarar" sung by Dr K.J.Yesudoss
please provide the same .

=sankarcs

gangar2758@vsnl.net

Post by gangar2758@vsnl.net »

cienu wrote:
kmrasika wrote:And an AtmanAthan had composed some songs which MS rendered in an album entitled, "rAdhA mAdhavaM."
Radha Madhavam was composed by Swami Atmananda of Malakara (near Chengannur in Kerala) who was a great Krishna-bhakta.

And not surprisingly this masterpiece (which is commercially available) was also set to tune by Sri Kadayanallur Venkatraman and sung by MS& Radha !
cu any one help with lyrics and audio of RADHA MADHAVAM .MANY THANKS

mohan

Post by mohan »

A video documentary about Adi Sankara (16 parts). It is in Sanksrit but has English subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... FC443959A3

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mohan,
How can I thank you! Just a few days ago in the bArati thread I had mentioned that I wished to see this film!
I have watched several segments now. Thanks again!

mohan

Post by mohan »

You are welcome Arasiji ... I haven't been following the bArati thread (due to my poor tamil) so it was just a mere coincidence that I posted the topic