olden day musicals in ENGLISH

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

When I was a college student in my teens,I used to enjoy english musical hits like AN american in Paris, singing in the rain ,Bathing Beauty and films starring BING CROSBY ,Bob Hope,fRANK SINATRA AND OTHER SINGING STARS OF THOSE YEARS,I am not able to recollect the names of other singing stars. We used to be thrilled by XavierCugat and his orchestra, He used to appear with a pup in his coat pocket. Can anybody post one or two songs of Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, XavierCugat's orchestra? During later years , Cliiff Richards was a favourite.
of course thereare hundreds of films other than musicals, which I Liked immensely. Casablanca starring tough guy Humphrey BOGART , BEING AN ALL TIME FAVORITE. since our forum is dedicated to music only ,let me stop. gobilalitha
Last edited by gobilalitha on 10 May 2009, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Singing in the Rain is one of my absolute best favourite films. The music, the dance, everything, is just wonderful.

Mostly, though, my tastes go back a little further --- to the great dancers Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I love the music, and the skill in the dancing is almost unbelievable. They worked for hours to make it look easy! I used to drive my parents mad when these films came on the television. they said that they had had enough of them first time around, which was long before I was born. I really can see how this enabled me to enjoy Kathak!

I do like the Bing Crosby stuff too, though I'm not so keen on Frank Sinatra.

Do you remember Calamity Jane? I was one year old when this film was released, but music had a longer shelf life in those days, and songs such Deadwood Stage, Secret Love, Windy City were early childhood favourites. Whenever I see the name Nanganallur, I sing it to the tune of Whip crack away (OK, I'm just silly!). Doris Day's singing was masterful as well as beautiful. Her clarity and diction are perfect.

Then there was another era, with films like Oklahoma!. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers has a most peculiar story for a musical (they decide to carry away seven sisters to marry) but some great singing and dancing.

Of Cool's examples, I'm always fond of My Fair Lady. The story is well told, it is well acted, and has some classic songs.

The one everybody loves to hate: The Sound of Music. Everybody likes to make fun of it, but when pushed, most have to admit that it was a really good film!

Well... that wasn't bad for someone who has hardly ever been in a cinema! I must have a look for some of this stuff on the British Council DVD shelves!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

All the songs menioned by youand Coolji are my favourites too ,especially FredAstaireand Ginger Rogersand the swimming beauty Esther Williams.Oh! for those yesteryears,when there was no obscenity and if you are a cricket fan, the running commentary of NEVILLE cARDUS,which was music to the ears of cricket lovers, I am thankful to my Creator for having sowed interest in my mind to enjoy music of any genre,even CHINESE OPERAS, MOHANAM being the predominant raaga. gobilalitha

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

There were also Hollywood musicals with music borrowed/adapted from opera/operetta. I remember watching a musical that had an English version of the "Vilja" song from Die Lustige Witve (The Merry Widow). The Marx brothers' "A Night at the Opera" has some snippets from Il Trovatore. The 1933 version of Little Women starring a young Katherine Hepburn has the sextet from Lucia di Lammermoor. The black(ish) comedy "Kind Hearts and Coronets" (with Alec Guinness' nine roles easily putting Dasavataram to shame) opens with an aria from Don Giovanni. There is of course Mario Lanza's "The Great Caruso".

Many opera singers like Gigli, Martinelli, Melchior, Tauber, Rise Stevens tried to capitalise on their musical popularity in films, but like TNS' Todi Ragam, I think most sank without a trace. Unlike the MS/GNB/MKT hits, they got the music/story ratio wrong I guess.

There is the odd aria even in newer English films: Andrea Chenier in "Philadelphia", La Boheme in "Moonstruck", Giani Schicchi in "Room with a View" etc.

Incidentally, I was recently watching Balachander's Rajini starrer "ThilluMullu" and in one scene the background score sounded like it came from the theme of Verdi's Forza del Destino.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Do you recall the song Stranger in Paradise ("Take my hand, I'm a stranger in Paradise").

Unknown now, but very famous maybe thirty years ago. That song was classical, and I think all the songs in the film came from the same source.

But I can't remember the source or the film <Blush>

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

nick H wrote:Do you recall the song Stranger in Paradise ("Take my hand, I'm a stranger in Paradise").

Unknown now, but very famous maybe thirty years ago. That song was classical, and I think all the songs in the film came from the same source.

But I can't remember the source or the film <Blush>
It is from the musical Kismet which is based on music from Borodin's opera, Knyaz Igor (Prince Igor).

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmptWExyKEw

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Kismet! Prince Igor! Of course!

Thank you :)

But it must be a decade since this has even crossed my mind...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

How about 'The King and I' with Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner ?

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

NOW, I remember the name oft he famous singing srar Gene Kelly. HE WAS MYTOP FAVOURITE. Not able to recollect the names of the films .Does nobody remember Xavier Cugat and his orchestra? YES ,cm lover, Deborah kerr and Yul Brynner were the top stars of those days and the film T he King and I, though not termed as a musical was a big hit in those days.gobilalitha

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

A few more Hollywood films with great music...
Doctor Zhivago, Godfather, Love Story

arasi

Post by arasi »

And so far, no mention of The West Side Story!
Ah, yes, The Great Caruso...

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Thanks for pointing out. great music. Fiesta, For a few dollars more to be ADDED to the list. GOBILALITHA
Last edited by gobilalitha on 16 May 2009, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

West Side Story has some of the best ever music! The story, however, based on Romeo and Juliet, is too tragic for me.

For a Few Dollars More (sequel to Fore a Few Dollars?) --- one of that genre of films called Spaghetti Westerns, and the music was both distinctive and brilliant

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Will Mary Poppins make our list :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes--from 'a spoonful of sugar' to 'feed the birds', not forgetting 'super color' and 'up from the ashes grow the roses of success'.

Another favorite: chitty chitty bang bang

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Another very popular song was 'In old santa fe ,where the boys are around a holiday, they killed a fatted cow( being vegetarIan, I feel very sad for the cow) ARE THE LYRICS CORRECT? In which film? gobilalitha
Last edited by gobilalitha on 17 May 2009, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

ragam-talam wrote:A few more Hollywood films with great music...
Doctor Zhivago, Godfather, Love Story
Maurice Jarre is my favourite movie composer. Apart from Zhivago, I love his soundtracks from other Lean movies: Lawrence of Arabia, Passage To India, Ryan's Daughter.

Apart from the memorable Godfather score, Nino Rota's music is very effective in Fellini's films.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kartikbala,
Did not know until today of Nino Rota! Yes, powerful music indeed, for Fellini's films.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

This classic of Roberta Flack is simply lovely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B1wdau8uHU

the pathos in the song gives it an amazing depth.
and it has certain indianness to it, don't know why i feel that way...

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Simon and Garfunkel - great music makers.
Here's a favorite of mine: Sound of Silence

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Absolutely. Great songwriters and great performers.

A very good example of harmony in Western music, too, for those discussions in which one is needed!