Sangeethothsavam - 2009

Concerts and other events related to CM.
Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Pleased to advice the rasika community that NZ Carnatic Music Society will be celeberating "Sangeethothsvam - 2009" during the weekend - May 31 and June 1 (June 1st is a public holiday in NZ to celeberate the queen's birthday). For further details please visit

http://www.nzcms.org/

We seek the blessings of all music lovers for this event and hope that our glorious music will grow from strength to strength in this beatiful land.

Sam

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Sam: We wish the Sangeethothsvam - 2009 a grand success. We hope to hear some of the recordings.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Best Wishes, Sam!

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Good to see that artists have lec-dem on their concert days... Please let us know details after the program

-hari

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Sam. All the very best. Will look out for details after the program. Please do post in detail.

cienu

Post by cienu »

I am sure that with your commendable efforts this festival will be a grand success. :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sam, Best wishes for a successful Sangeethothsavam!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Sam, best wishes--it's also nice to see several students on the program as well.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sam,
Have a great musical feast!

Sam Swaminathan

Hi Rasikas

We had two wonderful days of music here. The utsavam went very well, concluding yesterday with a grand concert of Smt M S Sheela. Lots of children participated and performed with huge amount of interest. All this has been possible only with the blessings of the Almighty and the blessings of the Trinity and you, the rasikas.

I will write again with details and perhaps one or two clips. With kind regards

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

We are very glad that the utsavam went very well.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

I happen to be in New Zealand currently and also had the privelege of being able to witness the Sangeethothsavam over two days.

The children exhibited considerable musical inclinations and talent on both the days. The recitals were for about 15-20 minutes for each child (or in some cases groups of children) and the renditions ranged from Geethams to Krithis in Hamsadhwani, Gowlai and so on. I was particularly impressed by the rendition of one girl (rather bad on my part that I can't recollect the name, inspite of being told) who sang last on Day 1 (if my memory is right). The Hamsadhwani Adi Tala Varnam was rendered very neatly with good Shruthi and Layam sense. And the choice of the Sowrashtram Krithi Shri Ganapathini was good I thought. All children were accompanied on violin and Mrudangam by other kids. Sometimes though, our own Sam chipped in on the violin and in particular, his responses to a round of Swarams in Purvikalyani (again subject to my memory's capacities) by a young girl was nice.

The other fare included lec dems and evening concerts by Carnatica Brothers on Day 1 and Smt MS Sheela on Day 2. The lec dem by Shashikiran and Ganesh dwelt primarily on simple and instructive Layam exercises like singing Sarali in Tisram, singing an Adi Tala Varnam such that one half of an Avarthanam is in Khanda Nadai and the other in Tisram (5 * 4 + 3 * 4 = 32 Aksharams - of the Adi Talam cycle) and similar variations for Ata Tala Varnams (14 * 4 = 56 Aksharams can be sung in Misra Adi). Was distinctly reminded of Shri Palghat Raghu when I heard this. He had given a lec dem at the Academy in the 2007 season (titled The Splendour of Misram, I guess) showing how Layam variations can be brought about using Viriboni (Bhairavi) as an example. I planned to attend it, but couldn't. Watched parts of it on YouTube. And just when I returned from the Sangeethotsavam, a day later, learnt that Shri Raghu had passed away!

The Carnatica Brothers' concert was good. Unable to recall the list. The duration was a little over 4 hours. Shudha Bangala, Dwijavanthi (Akhilandeshwari) and an RTP in Desh were presented elaborately, I guess. The Desh RTP was in Misra Jhumpa - 2 Kalai if I recall right. The accompanists - Dr Ashok Malur (who is also the President of the NZCMS) on the violin and Shri Sridhar Chari on the Mrudangam gave fine support. The Thani for the Pallavi was well executed.

Smt MS Sheela's lec dem dealt with cultivation of Manodharmam from Varnams. Good illustrations with the Mohanam, Begada and Thodi Adi Tala Varnams were done, on how to draw ideas for Alapanai/Swaram singing from the Varnams.

The concert by MS Sheela included Rama Nee Samana (Kharaharapriya) and an elaborate Kaddanu Variki (Thodi). The Thodi was rendered well. Infact, in my opinion, the Thodi she dwelt upon in the morning session was even better. There was also a Varali - Eti Janmamidhi. Am unable to recall other Krithis as its been over 10 days now. The accompanists were Smt Syamala Hariharan - violin and Shri Sridhar Chari - Mrudangam.

Infact, Shri BV Raghavendra Rao was actually listed to accompany on the violin for both concerts. But as he could not make it to New Zealand due to personal reasons, the local violinsts chipped in and did quite well.

The NZCMS needs to be commended for keeping Carnatic Music going here. The amount of work they put in - arranging concerts, accommodating the artistes, managing the stage work et al, is enormous. Fine job.

PS : 1) Due to paucity of time, I haven't been able to post this earlier. And due to the delay, a few of the songs/details might not be precise or complete courtesy my not-so-good memory. Apologies for the same.

2) If appropriate, the moderators could move this thread to another category, perhaps.

Sathej
Last edited by Sathej on 12 Jun 2009, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Yes, one of my friends tells New Zealand is very beautiful. You sort of expect it of a land which isn't a desert and is still sparsely populated. You might have seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Sam Swaminathan

Having Sathej with me is like having my son ( almost similar age) around. Extremely handy, Sathej gave me lovely support in organising and had a good taste of what carnatic music organisers face in countries like NZ.

Coolji and friends, believe me when I say, NZ is the most beautiful country in the world...clean...green and serene. If you guys can all join and go to B'lore for our Ram's wedding, you can once again join and make a trip to NZ. Promise you, will take care of all of you and we can really have a good time....Cheers
Last edited by Sam Swaminathan on 14 Jun 2009, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Sathej: Great observations and thank you for the feed back.

ashok malur

Post by ashok malur »

Hi all. I am the Dr Ashok Malur that Satej referred to in his report on the Sangeethotsavam.I am a new entrant to your group.I am originally from Bombay and have been living in New Zealand for almost 10 years.
Satej thanks for a well written report on the Sangeethotsavam. Yes friends it was indeed a real utsavam. Some of the attendees said that the 2 days were like attending a marriage. There was lots of fun and good music as well.We also provided free breakfast to all our guests. In the future we hope to round off the evening with a decent dinner as well, finances permiting ofcourse.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Dr Ashok Malur - It takes a lot of efforts to conduct a two day sangeethotsavam. Thank you for joining this august group.

tkb

Post by tkb »

congrats Sathej for a wonderful report.

ashok malur

Post by ashok malur »

Thanks Raman.

Our morning concerts were called the Yuva Bharathi concerts.We had a lot of our youngsters who are at different stages of their musical growth performing in the morning concerts. It was really reassuring to watch these youngsters perform as this ensures the perpetuity of this great art form.

The Carnatica brothers concert was dynamic and fun.They took Vachaspathi, Dwijawanthi and Desh as the main ragas for the evening.The Pallavi was in Tisranadai, Misra Jhampa talam,ragam Desh.They intelligently sang the pallavi in Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Hindi.That was good innovation on their part.This was a great learning experience for me.
Sridhar Chari was brilliant in the Thani.

MSSheela showed her abilities to balance power and melody on a background of high shruthi. She was absolutely delightful. Her alapanas in Thodi and Kharaharapriya were brilliantly essayed.She earlier performed brilliantly in Wellington as well.I had the pleasure of accompanying her in Wellington.It was a great learning experience as well.

On the whole, we had a great time organising the Sangeethotsavam. Youngsters like Sathej helped out as volunteers which made the life of the 10 member Organising committee less challenging.Please wish us well for our future programmes.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

rasikAs are greatest well wishers of NZ sangeethosatvam.