Date: 24.02.2016
Time: 10 a m – 1.00 p m
Venue: DIAZ Hall
Dept of Criminology
University of Madras

kvchellappa

Re: Webcast of National Seminar on Music Notation 24 Feb 16

Post by kvchellappa »

Could have been held in Dept. of Musicology!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I had the same reaction to the venue! :)

msakella

Post by msakella »

(But some hyper intelligent person might have thought that Department of Criminology only suits well to these musicians and arranged it accordingly)

To tell the fact, knowledge in writing the items or compositions or Kalpanaswaras or Sangathis of Ragalapana in notation undoubtedly makes the aspirant absolutely independent not only in working hard but in learning music also on his/her own very quickly and efficiently mainly basing upon his/her individual talents and abilities. But, as this automatically minimises the role of the teacher and very badly affects the earnings each and every music-teacher discourages notation-writing.

However, as this helps the aspirant abundantly, keeping this in view, Subbarama Dikshitar brought out hundreds of compositions with symbolised notation in his monumental work, Sangita Sampradaya Pradarshini. As such a great person did so all our musicians could not do anything directly against him except praising him profusely. But, indirectly, none of them did anything either to follow or develop or propagate this symbolised notation except in getting their Doctorates.

In the absence of any reliable modern sound recording or reproducing gadgets as this symbolised notation only facilitates any common aspirant to understand and follow the respective symbol resembling the actual travel of sound and also to produce the same music, I myself sang them all and brought out 60 symbols of them among which Kaishiki-nishada alone has 27 facets of different shades. This becomes possible to the aspirant by mostly relying upon the key-board, pdf, audio and video-files only right from the first day of learning and practicing independently on his/her own. All our 70+ students of our music-institute, Swarabhangima at Secunderbad mostly rely upon the key-board either at our institute or at their residences very regularly playing it very strictly along with the Metronome. That is why each and every student of our institute learning in this logical system is able to sing all the Alankaras @ 1-2-3-4-notes per beat within the first month and the first-varna in Natakuranji-Adi @ 4-6-8-notes per beat along with creative Kalpanaswaras in Rupaka, Trisra-rupaka and Chapu-talas, at the least, within the next five months very quickly and efficiently. Thus, it has undoubtedly been proved thousand times that the aspirant can very certainly and independently learn music very quickly and efficiently by entirely relying upon the key-board than becoming restricted by the abilities or disabilities of the so-called music-teacher. But, as usual, all our music-teachers are used to maintain status-quo by becoming tight-lipped in this respect.

In fact, I would have very well demonstrated some of these crucial symbols, at the least, in this seminar if enough time is given to me for the benefit of the aspirants. But, as the 10-minutes time allotted for such knowledgeable demonstration was very short I was compelled to exceed for 10 more minutes on the request of the audience and stopped it abruptly as a well-disciplined teacher thinking that I could, however, clear off the doubts of the aspirants, if any, in the forth coming ‘question-answer-hour’. But, this ‘question-answer-hour’ never came out at all and the seminar ended without fulfilling the truthful purpose in honestly helping the poor aspirants. amsharma