Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
kvchellappa

Deconstructing CM

Post by kvchellappa »

vasanthakokilam

Re: Deconstructing CM

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Excellent. Thanks kvc

I think Prof. Hema Murthy is a member of our forum and has written about her team's machine learning research at IITM related to carnatic music. It is great to read about what they have done and see them in the group photo.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

>>Computers can be trained to play chess?
I heard in an IBM conference from Nate Silver that the IBM lab guy told him when Watson defeated Kasparov - it had a bug and made a crazy move. Kasparov got psyched and could not understand it and hence lost.
>>, to prove mathematical theorems, ..?
That was one of the key questions Sir Roger Penrose raised in his book "Emperors New mind" in 1990. When they say computers can be trained to prove theorems - are they refer to human assisted theorem proving?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-automatic- ... -computers

That picture up there in this page is his MFA concert that featured mIna lOcana I believe. That proves that a pudukOTTai Mridangist does not just play for tAla as held by Sri Kalidas ( also V. Sriram joked in the PODCAST on Sanjay's blog). Every viSrAnti in Syama Sastri's syllables is gleaned and responded to with toppi and meetu embellishments. If Dr Raghavan says Syama Sastri is the epitome of tAlam you can see it there!

<<Correction:>> it says Kalarasana - but there is a video out there with same accompanists that said MFA

TMK did not have any issues bringing out aesthetic contours of Dhanyasi in what would appear to be a case of Mridangam leading the concert.
Last edited by shankarank on 24 Jan 2016, 19:43, edited 2 times in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Here is the video : https://vk.com/video3775479_163314524

Great moments at 6:11 and 6:26 - the saukya nadai transition - vintage stuff.