Panchamam in jayanthasree

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
Meera

Panchamam in jayanthasree

Post by Meera »

After listening to a composition in SVBC some time back,think it is Oothukaadu no.I am puzzled by this raagam.The usage of panchamam in compositions like marugelara and the above is very minimum that makes it sound like hindolam most of the time.Is there any composition in this raagam where the panchamam is put into max.use to make it look genuine Jayanthasree.

sureshvv

Re: Panchamam in jayanthasree

Post by sureshvv »

Then it may start looking like marga hindolam :-)

arunk

Post by arunk »

Doesnt marugElarA's pallavi itself feature pancamam ( d m p , m g\s => ma ru gE la ra)? Also the charanam (anni nI va.. pa-pa pa, pa ). So I am not sure one can say pa is a rarity there.
Arun

varsha

Post by varsha »

The usage of panchamam in compositions like marugelara and the above is very minimum that makes it sound like hindolam most of the time.
The best place for knowing more .
A silent pair of warriors . Using their spare time to educate duds like me in a method I understand
I convey my gratitude by putting up one of their bits on this subject
http://ragasurabhi.com/
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/5bbs8t0 ... tashrI.mp3

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

LG Sir starts the Charanam Anni Nee Vanusu--instead of starting with Panchamam (PaPaPa) as most artistes do, he will start with DhaDHaDHA. I asked him WHY? When the Panchamam in the descent lends its own charm and that being the only swaram to distinguish it from Hindolam,WHY would you change that?

His reply was Nothing special --just thought it would sound different and will not detract from the purity of the raga. Normally LGJ Sir always had a rationale for deviations from common practice. I was not convinced but I guess there should be some lattitude for Artistes' creativity so long as it does not violate the contours of the raga!!!.

DrMM

Post by DrMM »

As I understand (pls correct me if wrong), Jayanthasree is one of those ragas where since panchama appears only in avarohana & that too with a slight vakra prayoga (S Gi Ma Da Ni; S Ni Da Ma P Ma Gi S), its handling would require subtlety. From what I've seen, 'MarugELara O Raghava' of Tyagaraja brings out this very beautifully & so does 'Neerada sama neela kRiSHNa' of Oothukadu Venkatakavi. If the latter is the one that Meera came across, there are passages in the Anupallavi which use Gi Ma Da Ni profusely with minimal P. In the charana of course the Ettugada swaras have a janta prayoga of P
in the passage (s, s, m d n s, s g m d n, n s g m p p m gmdns).

DrMM

Post by DrMM »

To add to the list of gems in Raga Jayanthasree : Sridhara pAhi & Jaya Jaya MAdhava- both by Mysore VasudevAchar where panchama finds its minimal yet appealing presence.